ADVERTISEMENT

Stanly County Football

North and West had an elementary school closed last go round and from looking at their enrollment numbers I do not think you could close another elementary in the North district. This board has Oakboro in their plan to close.

I do not think redistricting will do a lot for South. There just is not enough population density on their district borders and they cannot move their lines farther into the Albemarle district which is where you would see more students. I think redistricting can revitalize Albemarle but I am not so sure about South. The only thing that can save South is for an increase in the population within their district borders. I have always felt South often was the "forgotten" school. I hope things work out positively for them.

I do think the issue with magnet programs at each school is the number of students that would enroll from each school. Normally magnet programs are for a smaller percentage of the enrollment whether it be a high level education class or drafting or auto mechanics or a specialized language.

I, like many, have questioned why no redistricting for many years.

Someone recently told me that the school districts were originally drawn up by using creeks and roads to separate them. Do any of you think that will be the case this time? Btango when was the last time we had redistricting or have we EVER? I know we haven't since merger.

Buddy, Albemarle actually had some areas added since the consolidation of the two systems. The area out Ridge Street to the northeast of Park Ridge was brought into AHS. Most of those students went to Badin and then paid the tuition to come to Albemarle before the consolidation. With consolidation they let the students go to Albemarle.

North and West had an elementary school closed last go round and from looking at their enrollment numbers I do not think you could close another elementary in the North district. This board has Oakboro in their plan to close.

I do not think redistricting will do a lot for South. There just is not enough population density on their district borders and they cannot move their lines farther into the Albemarle district which is where you would see more students. I think redistricting can revitalize Albemarle but I am not so sure about South. The only thing that can save South is for an increase in the population within their district borders. I have always felt South often was the "forgotten" school. I hope things work out positively for them.

I do think the issue with magnet programs at each school is the number of students that would enroll from each school. Normally magnet programs are for a smaller percentage of the enrollment whether it be a high level education class or drafting or auto mechanics or a specialized language.

I, like many, have questioned why no redistricting for many years.

I am familiar with programs such as auto mechanics, ag etc they are very popular in ohio but are done within that respective school. A magnet school does the exact same thing as charter schools and that is remove students and funding away from our traditional schools.

3) no bias towards west or north? Do you live here? Through all of these plans I have not heard one item that hits west or north with the exception they will get more students and possibly get there school added on

You still haven't proved that there is a "bias" towards North or West. If you are trying to prove a conspiracy, you should provide evidence instead of "I talked to so and so and he says there is a bias".

I know several members of the Board very well and they care deeply about the schools. This Board is the only group in decades that have the intestinal fortitude to stand up to the Melvin Pooles of Stanly County. The schools are failing, and while redistricting will help out in the short run, in the long run you will have to make some hard decisions.

Don't be scared of change.

Reactions: ShowGoesOn
You still haven't proved that there is a "bias" towards North or West. If you are trying to prove a conspiracy, you should provide evidence instead of "I talked to so and so and he says there is a bias".

I know several members of the Board very well and they care deeply about the schools. This Board is the only group in decades that have the intestinal fortitude to stand up to the Melvin Pooles of Stanly County. The schools are failing, and while redistricting will help out in the short run, in the long run you will have to make some hard decisions.

With all do respect sir you don't know me from Adam. I never said there was a conspiracy I said there is a bias and if you live which I am assuming you don't it's very evident. Additionally, how many parents kids who are on the BOE attend AHS or SSHS?

Just to be clear I am all for change if it is going to be beneficial to those involved. "Idea" A and "idea" B benefits a very small % of these kids and impacts are more negative for a larger % of kids. I wonder if you included the kids from the early college and the kids from GS to their respective school districts what shape the schools would be in on the state report card?? Additionally you would have more funding for our traditional schools. Not saying those need to be rid of just wanted to highlight the impact those schools and they way they are setup in the county have on our traditional schools.

One more thing I have kids in this school system and they came from a blue ribbon award winning school district. Just so happens that county is almost identical to income and population size and has 4 community HS.

With all do respect sir you don't know me from Adam. I never said there was a conspiracy I said there is a bias and if you live which I am assuming you don't it's very evident. Additionally, how many parents kids who are on the BOE attend AHS or SSHS?

And it's obvious that you don't know a quality education from Adam, either.

Just to be clear I am all for change if it is going to be beneficial to those involved. "Idea" A and "idea" B benefits a very small % of these kids and impacts are more negative for a larger % of kids. I wonder if you included the kids from the early college and the kids from GS to their respective school districts what shape the schools would be in on the state report card?? Additionally you would have more funding for our traditional schools. Not saying those need to be rid of just wanted to highlight the impact those schools and they way they are setup in the county have on our traditional schools.

One more thing I have kids in this school system and they came from a blue ribbon award winning school district. Just so happens that county is almost identical to income and population size and has 4 community HS.

Are you Melvin Poole? Or Justin Burr? You have simply regurgitated their talking points, all of which are untrue. Most kids are not affected whatsoever from these plans. Start being honest with your facts bud.

Why don't you come down here to AHS and tell these kids that. Since it's clear you are not living here. In regards to quality education I beg to differ valedictorian of my class you? I actually don't know Mr. Poole or Mr. Burr. I am not a fan of politics especially when it comes to kids and their education. In regards to these plans I have not swayed on my opinion since they came out and you can ask anybody on here sir. Have you ever been a part of a school district that has been rated as a blue ribbon award or school of excellence?

The reason Greystone is in business is due to the failure or perceived failure of public schools. Believe me Greystone is not going anywhere and your state rep is a big proponent of tuition tax credits for private school and "school choice". The district with the largest amount of students attending Greystone is North Stanly.

I am not for a singular magnet school. I do not think Stanly County is ready for that. I do think a STEM magnet program at Albemarle where students from other schools would come in and be part of the overall student body may be feasible.

Reactions: bulldog nation2014
Why don't you come down here to AHS and tell these kids that. Since it's clear you are not living here. In regards to quality education I beg to differ valedictorian of my class you? I actually don't know Mr. Poole or Mr. Burr. I am not a fan of politics especially when it comes to kids and their education. In regards to these plans I have not swayed on my opinion since they came out and you can ask anybody on here sir. Have you ever been a part of a school district that has been rated as a blue ribbon award or school of excellence?

Do you know how to write a sentence? You stated "In regards to quality education I beg to differ valedictorian of my class you?" I have no idea what you are trying to state. If you are trying to state that you are a valedictorian of your class, it must have been a class of one or a reform school.

As far as a blue ribbon award, I can bet you every dollar in your bank account that Stanly County will never receive any award unless the electorate takes education seriously. I'm also not a JV girls basketball coach that encourage its center to shoot three pointers. I'm a big believer in common sense.

Again, don't be scared of change.

The reason Greystone is in business is due to the failure or perceived failure of public schools. Believe me Greystone is not going anywhere and your state rep is a big proponent of tuition tax credits for private school and "school choice". The district with the largest amount of students attending Greystone is North Stanly.

I am not for a singular magnet school. I do not think Stanly County is ready for that. I do think a STEM magnet program at Albemarle where students from other schools would come in and be part of the overall student body may be feasible.

You are exactly right. While these tools such as Burr try to act like they have a common man's solution, they are simply killing the traditional school systems. Why would a politician be interested in giving tuition tax credits for private schools? Well, someone is paying for these credits (taxpayers) while someone is reaping the rewards (private schools). The question to ask is how are the politicians being repaid for this favor? Political contributions.

The majority of the tax credits go to small private schools that usually church affiliated. I think that is part of your answer Earnhardt. I do not favor tax credits for private education and definitely not if they are for religious based programs which would include Parochial schools. Note that two of the four largest benefactors of the tax credits are the Islamic schools in Durham and Greensboro. I thought that was somewhat funny when you look at who pushed for the credits so hard.

Reactions: Earnhardt Forever
I knew about the Hindu temple in Morrisville but was unaware of the Islamic School in Durham. The Hindu School ended up folding before it opened it doors.

The best way you can steal votes is by giving it away to special interests. Mixing God and money allows you to stay in office while receiving a steady stream of campaign contributions. Throw in a cultural issue and you have just won over an entire congregation while the taxpayers flip the bill.

I'm against tax credits going to church affiliated schools too.

Jv girls basketball coach? Haha yup over 200 wins in my career sent about 25 kids to play at the next level. Girls program 15-32 2 yes prior to me coming in and 41-13 since 1st conf ship since 89 1st time in school history to win 3 playoff games in same season? My accomplishments speak or themselves. OH not to mention 4 hs varsity boys team that finished in the top 12 nationally. One more we have 2 straight years now of achieving the team scholar award and we have 8 individual scholar athletes.

Anyway in regards to my center shooting 3's lol you mean the same center that is getting a full ride at UNCC, the same center that per the coach will be starting as a stretch 4? Ok guess she is a Jv coach as well right?

The blue ribbon award is a great award, not saying stanly can get one but why can't we set the expectation of achieving a school of excellence? What's wrong with setting that goal?

Additionally I don't know you and you don't know me or what I do for the kids around here. Do not disrespect me unless you can step out from behind your computer. You want to have a discussion about a community you don't even live in fine, don't be disrespectful. By the way you just commented I would assume you live in the mtns now correct?

I do not live in the mountains.

BTW, "Bulldognation 2014", step out from behind my computer? Hey pot, the kettle is black.

Stop trying to make the argument about me and focus on Stanly County education. Stop attacking the School Board and you will not have any problem from me. Just do your research, understand the issues, and form your own opinion based on real facts and not "Poole facts".

I know you are grown man (Coach Andrews and I do talk), so don't be so sensitive.

That's great you and coach Andrews talk. In regards to my own opinion ask anybody on here and I have the same opinion now as I did before in regards to these ideas. I haven't said anything bad about the board EXCEPT that before releasing these ideas they should have dotted their I's and crossed their T's. They had 0 research done and released to half thought out plans. They politically strong armed the commissioners which may have been a good thing I just prefer to leave politics out of it when it comes to the kids. Now they have the money and you know as well I do they are going to redistrict so come out and say all HS will remain open so our kids can have alittle bit of closure in regards to where they will be attending school next year.

So to sum it up the plans presented are not well researched and really are ideas as plans take research reports studies etc.

My stance is BOE should announce this sooner than later get the redistricting done and let's move on.

Not sure where Earnhardt lives but do not get the "mountain" reference in any of his postings. I thought he lived in The Triangle but I may be off on that. Who cares.

So nation your senior headed to UNCC is projected as a starter as a true freshman for them?

I thought that some funds are guaranteed and the promise to put the sales tax up for a vote sometime in the future. I did not think there was anywhere near the needed funds. I have not followed it as much not being in the area lately. What's the deal on that?

I think the announcement should be if the sales tax passes and the system gets X amount of dollars promised per year that no schools will close. Bottom line nothing can be done before 2016-2017 school year at the soonest.

I don't care for Plan A or Plan B, but it has to stay on the table until the funds are in hand. The Commissioners gave a little over 400,000 dollars as a one time payment to the school board (which is much less than a million dollars as was previously posted on this message board). The sales tax referendum could go either way. My personal thoughts are that the referendum will be defeated if we see any redistricting before the referendum hits the ballots. It's up to the county commissioners, and not the school board, to fund the schools. If the revenue stream doesn't improve you will see more of the same.

Not sure where Earnhardt lives but do not get the "mountain" reference in any of his postings. I thought he lived in The Triangle but I may be off on that. Who cares.

So nation your senior headed to UNCC is projected as a starter as a true freshman for them?

That's what was said to me. I think that would be great but IMHO I think there still is a long way to go before the first game. She still has a lot to work on but I believe she will do fine.

1/4 cent tax referrendum (est $1.1 million annually) I think that's where the million that was discussed came from

$400,000 one time payment

$80,000 additional to be used for teachers stipends

I believe this is what the commissioners voted on and accepted. If they agree and announce to not close any schools the tax will pass IMO just as long as it is a stand alone request.

Since we're off topic of this thread guess I will jump in and have my say. First off I commend the school board for making us aware of the problems that exist in SCS. However I think the 2 plans were not though out and not workable in my opinion. But they did make us aware that changes need to happen in stanly county. Unfortunately politicans have jumped in and everybody seems to be only interested in their part of the county, so we have a lot of work to do. All these problems did not exist when I was in school somewhere between the ice age and the stone age. lol I know things will never be that way again, but I do believe we can all do a much better job of giving these kids a better education than we are doing. I'm afraid we have become a "me" society rather than a "we" society. That's what needs to change.

Last edited:
Additionally, how many parents kids who are on the BOE attend AHS or SSHS?

Dr. Angela Mills--children "grown and gone", but attended Albemarle schools
Todd Swaringen--children attend schools in South Stanly district
Lonnie Chandler--children "grown and gone", but attended North Stanly district schools
Tracy L. Oliver--children attend West Stanly district schools
Mitzie Almond--children attend North Stanly district schools
Mike Barbee--children "grown and gone", but attended West Stanly district schools
Sherry Vaughn--children attend West Stanly district schools (however, IMO she is "the Anti-Poole")

Vaughan pushed for the West Stanly Middle School. I agree she is the "anti Poole". Almond and her husband went to AHS. She was a good athlete.

Three from West district although one thinks a lot different than most folks in that district. Two from North and one each from South and Alvemarle. Matches up to the enrollments to some degree. Also, shows West has got out and voted "their people" into office.

It may be 330k I just tried to find it again and couldn't.

It's very important to pinpoint exactly what the number is. I'm pretty sure it's $330,000 or $331,000. As a point of reference, it's very important to trust, but verify your numbers. Here is a statement you made on the "Breaking News!" thread....

Additionally I believe at the next BOE meeting they will vote to redistrict immediately for 2015-2016 school year and the commissioners will give their one time payment as agreed which I believe was actually over a million dollars if I remember correctly. Even at the 500k that plus if the tax ref passes that's a 1.6 million increase over what we have now. Not exactly what Dr. Griffin wanted but 70% of what you asked for is not bad and she will still be able to do a lot with the increase funds for academics.

Someone may have embellished the "gift" number to you. $1 million is much more than $330,000 or $331,000. It's actually 3 times more than the actual amount.

McIntyre is very slick...in fact, he didn't support giving these funds to the school. He wanted some sort of promise that none of the schools would close. That is pure grandstanding on his part. He had no desire whatsoever to support the schools. Never have, never will. Come election time he can cling to the fact that he didn't support giving those "School Board monsters" the money. At the same time, the schools continue to suffer.

Last edited:
It's very important to pinpoint exactly what the number is. I'm pretty sure it's $330,000 or $331,000. As a point of reference, it's very important to trust, but verify your numbers. Here is a statement you made on the "Breaking News!" thread....

Someone may have embellished the "gift" number to you. $1 million is much more than $330,000 or $331,000. It's actually 3 times more than the actual amount.

McIntyre is very slick...in fact, he didn't support giving these funds to the school. He wanted some sort of promise that none of the schools would close. That is pure grandstanding on his part. He had no desire whatsoever to support the schools. Never have, never will. Come election time he can cling to the fact that he didn't support giving those "School Board monsters" the money. At the same time, the schools continue to suffer.

Earnhardt I realize you are trying to pin me in a corner and before you fact check understand where I got the nearly 1.6million.

1.1 million estimated as the revenue from the tax ref.

$400,000 I believe this is what it is Buddy posted $330k I couldn't find the breakdown last night. Some of us work and I just got in from a trip on the road. I will look at today to clarify.

$80,000 teacher stipend

So at the figures I posted that's $1.58 million based on the number Buddy posted that's $1.51 million. That is of course the tax ref passes. Thank you for fact checking me.

Earnhardt I realize you are trying to pin me in a corner and before you fact check understand where I got the nearly 1.6million.

1.1 million estimated as the revenue from the tax ref.

$400,000 I believe this is what it is Buddy posted $330k I couldn't find the breakdown last night. Some of us work and I just got in from a trip on the road. I will look at today to clarify.

$80,000 teacher stipend

So at the figures I posted that's $1.58 million based on the number Buddy posted that's $1.51 million. That is of course the tax ref passes. Thank you for fact checking me.

Buddy was right it was $331,000 and then another $80,000 for teachers supplements bringing the total of the one time to $411,000 then adding the estimated tax ref at $1.1million brings the overall total to $1.51 mil. Then est at $1.1 after that, of course the tax ref has to pass.

My question is, is there anyway the tax ref could be voted on this year? Probably not but just wondered.

I do not see why they could not vote on it in November. I think the a lot of people do not want it voted on because they do not believe it will pass which puts the BOE in a stronger position with their assumptions.

I do not see why they could not vote on it in November. I think the a lot of people do not want it voted on because they do not believe it will pass which puts the BOE in a stronger position with their assumptions.

The General Assembly passed a law last year that all local referenda must take place in an even year when they are less likely to pass with governor and president elections and such (like 2016). The state can pass special referenda like the one they will do later this year in 2015 for a statewide highway bond. In other words, the General Assembly wants to run a bond they want to pass when they know it will have a chance to pass, but they want you to run your local bond when they know it will most definitely fail.

I really have not spoken to anybody who would be against it just as long as all 4 hs remain in tact.

Nation, you have likely been talking to folks who have kids in SCS, or who are relatively young and still 'connected' to the schools in some way. Most of those folks will support the 1/4 cent sales tax.

However, in Stanly County, of the population above age 18 (voting age), about 50% of these are age 45 or older, meaning that many of them no longer have a child in SCS. Many of these are automatically going to vote 'no' when they see the phrase "tax increase" (even though 1/4 cent won't even be noticed--1 penny more for every $4 spent). And the elderly (65+) will almost always vote against any tax increase. I think it's a toss-up at best whether the referendum will pass or not, and quite frankly, I'm pessimistic. Hope I'm wrong, though.

As for when it can be voted on...my understanding is that the governor is pushing a bond referendum for roads and other infrastructure that may be put to a vote this November. If that comes about, there is a possibility that Stanly County might put the 1/4 cent sales tax for schools on the ballot here.

EDIT--reading Foot's post and did not realize that this cannot be piggybacked on the state referendum. Typical politics.

I have a feeling if we can get it on the ballot this fall it might have a better chance of passing being an off year election.

I have a feeling if we can get it on the ballot this fall it might have a better chance of passing being an off year election.

I don't know if that would be the case or not. The senior citizens usually vote about 10% more than the general population does in even numbered years, but that percentage actually jumps to about 20% in off year elections. Senior citizens as a whole appreciate their patriotic duty and right to vote much more than the rest of society. Senior citizens will most likely be more opposed to a sales tax increase than the rest of the electorate.

However, the point is moot. The real dilemma is when will the redistricting occur. While many might at first glance support redistricting, when their kids are redistricted from one school that they like to another school that they don't like, I can pretty much guarantee you that they will not support the sales tax referendum.

Nation, you have likely been talking to folks who have kids in SCS, or who are relatively young and still 'connected' to the schools in some way. Most of those folks will support the 1/4 cent sales tax.

However, in Stanly County, of the population above age 18 (voting age), about 50% of these are age 45 or older, meaning that many of them no longer have a child in SCS. Many of these are automatically going to vote 'no' when they see the phrase "tax increase" (even though 1/4 cent won't even be noticed--1 penny more for every $4 spent). And the elderly (65+) will almost always vote against any tax increase. I think it's a toss-up at best whether the referendum will pass or not, and quite frankly, I'm pessimistic. Hope I'm wrong, though.

New Dawg is most likely correct regarding who will vote for the sales tax referendum and who will oppose the sales tax referendum. The sales tax referendum is far from a slam dunk. When the special interest groups come in to defeat this measure, I can pretty much guarantee you that Gene McIntyre and Melvin Poole will be carrying these folks their water. I don't see western Stanly supporting this measure except for maybe the Oakboro and to a lesser extent the Endy communities.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT