ADVERTISEMENT

Stanly County Football

I know that first game will draw both Crouds of Bulldog Faithful. It will be great to see that big "T" and big "A" on the Helmets. That Concord game may be a learning experience, but We will see

Reactions: Buddy Rich
Everybody knows they are going to redistrict they just haven't made an official announcement.

There have been several studiesover the years that recommended redistricting. Two were from third party entities that specialize in that type of work. Nothing ever happened. I think it was actually tabled and not really fully reviewed. People can say what they want to but at the end of the day inactivity of prior school boards put Stanly County in a bad position and if it continued as it had there is a very strong possibility that there would have been no choice but to close schools in the next few years.

Reactions: BulldogsFollower
The inactivity of prior school boards touché but I think you can say pretty much the same of this one. They out out 2 plans that involved closing down 2 hs one being the main hs in the county. If the lines are redistricted properly you are adding 100-150 students just from the west side of the county, BUT will that happen? I don't know it seems that is where this board is from by majority.

The plans they put out were not researched with 0 cost analysis or research done on how this would benefit ALL the kids from this county instead of the priviledged ones. Is that what you call activity? THEN to make things worse the commissioners stepped up have additional funding and yet still no public address to keep schools open. You say a couple of years down the road we may have to close schools anyway but I ask you what research has been done to prove this or to support your notion? Whether you realize it or not their is a huge bias here towards the more diverse schools. Two of the schools they want to keep open has 0 community around it and 0 room to grow or expand their campuses additionally is not central in the county. What's the answer let's shutdown the most central school in the county and out a magnet their lmao. The main thing in this state that is destroying our public school schools and we want to shut down one to add one to our county. Yup makes perfect sense. I'm sorry I don't call this activity. Things like transportation surveys a TRUE cost analysis etc should have been done before announcing any plans.

In closing the political games with these kids needs to stop. They have suffered enough through this madness. The announcement needs to be done sooner than later. Stop the games and let's get the focus back where it should be on the kids

Reactions: Buddy Rich
The clown that came up with these 2 plans with no mention of redistricting must be brain dead. The only thing now that makes any sense is to redistrict. If this board doesn't do it then I think they should all be recalled.

Reactions: bulldog nation2014
The clown that came up with these 2 plans with no mention of redistricting must be brain dead. The only thing now that makes any sense is to redistrict. If this board doesn't do it then I think they should all be recalled.

We will find out at this next board meeting I belie what their motivations are. Since the BOC stepped up now we can see if they are driven forthe kids or agenda driven. If they honestly wanted extra funding to better the curriculum they have it and will take this off the table and work on redistricting, if it's agenda driven they will keep the games going

So Albemarle is the main school in the county?
Yes considering it has the biggest community surrounding the school. AHS and SSHS have the biggest communuties surrounding the school. NSHS has no community surrounding the school which is why their district lines come in so close to AHS and same with WSHS. If you took the lines to where in all reality they should be AHS would be close to or the biggest school in the county.

Yes considering it has the biggest community surrounding the school. AHS and SSHS have the biggest communuties surrounding the school. NSHS has no community surrounding the school which is why their district lines come in so close to AHS and same with WSHS. If you took the lines to where in all reality they should be AHS would be close to or the biggest school in the county.

So North Stanly could stand a chance to close in a few Years due to decreasing of Students. How will it ever be fair? I agree with btango that North shoudn"t lose Their lines

I never said that North should lose their lines. I have always been in favor of redistricting the west side of the county that alone wi increase AHS numbers by a proj 100 kids , although the increase for SSHS wouldn't be as much.

I agree. The western end of the county is where most of the redistricting will come from. The main reason is hasn't happened before now is strictly because Mr Poole and cohorts have blocked it.

Last edited:
You say a couple of years down the road we may have to close schools anyway but I ask you what research has been done to prove this or to support your notion? Whether you realize it or not their is a huge bias here towards the more diverse schools. What's the answer let's shutdown the most central school in the county and out a magnet their lmao. The main thing in this state that is destroying our public school schools and we want to shut down one to add one to our county. Yup makes perfect sense. I'm sorry I don't call this activity. Things like transportation surveys a TRUE cost analysis etc should have been done before announcing any plans.

I have written on this board in the last few years, before the current school board was elected, that if redistricting was not studied and put in place South Stanly or Albemarle would face extinction if their districts did not grow in population that would raise the enrollments. If both of those schools lose 15% of their student body over the next five years cost efficiency will come into play as you will have two high schools with a combined enrollment of approximately 750 students in four grades. Considering that SSHS and AHS have each lost over 20% in less than ten schools years it is not something that should be disregarded. Hopefully we will see enough growth that the numbers will not be that severe regardless of the lines.

It is not magnets that are the main issue with public education but charter schools and that is not even close. I agree for athletics a countywide magnet in 1A sports is an issue and one I have spoken out against for several years. The problem with WS Prep is that it is a lowly academic school in a county that allows students to transfer from their home district school each academic year semester starting period without a set out period for athletics.

One of the most disappointing things that I found in looking at some state data is that Stanly County Schools are the sixth worst in busing efficiency in the state. I am sure there could be a lot of holes jabbed in the way the state comes up with their numbers for this but with the amount of schools in Stanly County there should not be any busing issues. Unfortunately there is and what is worse the school that is by far the most overcapacity has students living farther from that campus than any other school in the system.

Looking at the numbers and the increase in local funds to education the county may have been better off to consolidate previously but opted to pump fairly large sums into several of the small community elementary schools and Central ES. I like the idea of the small community school but the budget is not being very helpful to their cause of late.

So North Stanly could stand a chance to close in a few Years due to decreasing of Students. How will it ever be fair? I agree with btango that North shoudn"t lose Their lines

The argument that the school districts should be set by the city limit line is lost on me because the school system is county wide. There are students that attend North that live in the Albemarle City Limits but are farther from AHS than North. Taking from North and South would defeat the idea of "right and wrong" in the argument for redistricting.

I actually think North will see some more growth over the next decade from the Highway 52/49 corridor. West will grow more than the other three districts by a wide margin. South will see limited growth. Albemarle remains a question mark it appears. Redistricting West to Albemarle is a no brainer. Redistricting some West students to South and possibly North will be helpful but I am not sure the population density in those district border areas will help push South and North up much in numbers and reduce the capacity issues in the West very little.

One major issue with West is that probably 80% of the growth in their district population will be west of the high school and over 60% of the current student body lives west of the school When West Stanly was built the population center was Oakboro. In the 1950's Oakboro was a busy community with a cinema, skating rink, abd several stores. If building a new West Stanly today the school would go on the eastern side of Locust close to where WS Middle School is located. When the middle school was built it was another K-8. Does not make sense, but remember the western part of the county fought the middle school concept and the school board went with them.

We should have kept this in Buddy's "Breaking News" thread instead of the football thread.

If they try to redistrict like we think they should I expect Burr and Poole will stand against it and they may be recalled for attempting redistricting. I do think because of what has happened with the Plan A and B that a lot of people from the three non West districts will support redistricting that never would have in the past.

I have written on this board in the last few years, before the current school board was elected, that if redistricting was not studied and put in place South Stanly or Albemarle would face extinction if their districts did not grow in population that would raise the enrollments. If both of those schools lose 15% of their student body over the next five years cost efficiency will come into play as you will have two high schools with a combined enrollment of approximately 750 students in four grades. Considering that SSHS and AHS have each lost over 20% in less than ten schools years it is not something that should be disregarded. Hopefully we will see enough growth that the numbers will not be that severe regardless of the lines.

It is not magnets that are the main issue with public education but charter schools and that is not even close. I agree for athletics a countywide magnet in 1A sports is an issue and one I have spoken out against for several years. The problem with WS Prep is that it is a lowly academic school in a county that allows students to transfer from their home district school each academic year semester starting period without a set out period for athletics.

One of the most disappointing things that I found in looking at some state data is that Stanly County Schools are the sixth worst in busing efficiency in the state. I am sure there could be a lot of holes jabbed in the way the state comes up with their numbers for this but with the amount of schools in Stanly County there should not be any busing issues. Unfortunately there is and what is worse the school that is by far the most overcapacity has students living farther from that campus than any other school in the system.

Looking at the numbers and the increase in local funds to education the county may have been better off to consolidate previously but opted to pump fairly large sums into several of the small community elementary schools and Central ES. I like the idea of the small community school but the budget is not being very helpful to their cause of late.

Interesting enough wasn't it just brought out as the schools sit finances are not
An issue? Additionally why would one school have the largest district when one school is in the largest population in the county community wise? Wouldn't it be possible that Albemarle has seen growth but the growth even though in Albemarle city limits are in the North and West districts, primarily the West district? Additionally it seems that this is an easy fix to redistrict the west side unless certain board members have a bias to the west? Or would these plans come from that bias to avoid ruffling feathers of their buddies on the west side considering 95% of this board is either from the North or West? One last question it is no secret that they are not closing any HS why hasn't the BOE come out since the BOC announced the additional funding and said that these two options are off the table?

Nation, this BOE is going to keep these 2 plans out there till they think they have got every penny out of the BOCC that they can. I agree with btango I think the west people will fight redistricting tooth and nail. I guarantee you Poole is working late at night to keep this from happening. Just because he's no longer on the board doesn't mean he doesn't have influence. The past boards have let him dominate them and always get his way. Folks its time to draw a line in the sand and stand our ground. Redistricting MUST happen. I don't care what anybody says.

Someone recently told me that the school districts were originally drawn up by using creeks and roads to separate them. Do any of you think that will be the case this time? Btango when was the last time we had redistricting or have we EVER? I know we haven't since merger.

Using streets and creeks or whatever is fine. My question is how in the world did North and west get 75% of the county? With all do respect with those lines there is only one way the population of AHS can go and that is down. If you look at those district lines where in the world can new people come into these districts without somebody moving out? I live 2mi from AHS and my kids goto Badin???? So I take my kids every morning 10minutes by car or 45 minute bus ride to Badin. So that is an hr and a half on the bus every day.

Using streets and creeks or whatever is fine. My question is how in the world did North and west get 75% of the county?

When Stanly County consolidated eleven high schools into three in 1962, Albemarle was a stand-alone city school system that took in the entire city limits of Albemarle. The city limits at that time were Rock Creek Park on the south, Long Creek on the west, and approximately Crook Motors on the north. The eastern boundary has not changed much since then. The problem is, with only a couple of small tweaks, Albemarle's attendance boundaries have not been changed, even though the city limits were expanded about three miles north and one mile west in the 1970's.

South was formed from two feeder schools (Norwood HS and Aquadale HS); North from four (Millingport HS, New London HS, Richfield HS, and Badin HS), and West from five TINY schools (Endy HS, Oakboro HS, Stanfield HS, Locust HS, and Ridgecrest HS).

I don't have figures at hand, but considering the economy and demographics of the county at that time, it was probably about as even a split as could be accomplished. For example:
  • South only had two feeder schools, but one was Norwood. Norwood was the second largest town in the county back then, and had strong industry in Collins & Aikman and Young Manufacturing. That helped to make up the difference of being combined with tiny Aquadale HS. The south end of the county was (and still is) highly rural and sparsely populated outside Norwood and the Lake Tillery area, and the southern outskirts of Albemarle.
  • North had four feeder schools, but one of them was Badin which was basically owned by Alcoa at the time, and was the third largest HS in the county prior to consolidation. New London and Millingport were small, but Richfield was the school at which many of the Pfeiffer College faculty and staff had children attending.
  • West's five feeder schools were all tiny. I had a cousin who graduated from Ridgecrest in the 1950's with a senior class of 11 (that's right, eleven!). Two high schools (Locust and Stanfield) were only about three miles apart, and were not a lot bigger. Oakboro, as mentioned in an earlier post, was also a vibrant town at that time, with a good industry, and was the population center of the western side of the county. Locust was little more than a crossroads with a few stores and a school. And the west end of the county at that time was probably the most sparsely populated part of the county.
FAILURE TO CHANGE WITH THE TIMES is how West and North have ended up with 75%. School boards as far back as the 1980's could see the building boom beginning in the Locust-Stanfield area, and the plans to four-lane NC 49 from Charlotte to Asheboro were announced in the early 1990's (I think). But these boards ignored the trends and did nothing to move the system forward. In fact , it can be argued that they actually held Stanly County Schools back with their ridiculous refusal to implement middle schools countywide. Major redistricting should have been done when the city and county school systems merged in the early 1990's, and should have been taking place periodically since then as ADM's and populations change. Cabarrus County has been through numerous redistrictings, some when new schools opened, and some to make adjustments based on other factors. But the SCS leadership buried its head in the sand, and now the situation has reached critical mass, requiring some actions which will be controversial and hot-button, and not the fault of the existing board.

Reactions: Earnhardt Forever
The hot button is not so much the plans it's the fact that these plans were not even plans they were ideas that basically they said yeah that sounds good let's do that. A plan involves studies and some actual thought to go into them. They got the extra funding my point to this is they need to come out and say we are not going to close doors at this time we will be doing redistricting and this is why...... Bussing times schools having kids in mobile units saves money etc here are the research reports we did.

Furthermore they need to furnish a list of items that they intend to use the additional funds for whether it be adding ap classes stem programs etc. If they step up as leaders and take clear direction and their goals and do the research necessary to support the community will be behind the taxes. However if they continue to play this game with the kids and continue to try to close community schools when the research and studies do not show that this will benefit the communities nor the kids and continue to not answer questions and keep the community in the dark they will not support it and why should they???

The hot button is not so much the plans it's the fact that these plans were not even plans they were ideas that basically they said yeah that sounds good let's do that. A plan involves studies and some actual thought to go into them. They got the extra funding my point to this is they need to come out and say we are not going to close doors at this time we will be doing redistricting and this is why...... Bussing times schools having kids in mobile units saves money etc here are the research reports we did.

Furthermore they need to furnish a list of items that they intend to use the additional funds for whether it be adding ap classes stem programs etc. If they step up as leaders and take clear direction and their goals and do the research necessary to support the community will be behind the taxes. However if they continue to play this game with the kids and continue to try to close community schools when the research and studies do not show that this will benefit the communities nor the kids and continue to not answer questions and keep the community in the dark they will not support it and why should they???

Agree 100% that the unveiling of plans A and B was handled poorly. It would not have been received well regardless of how much research and background study went into it, but those plans would have carried more weight with many folks if they had been backed up with solid data and documentation compiled by specialists in such research.

As you say, studies and research are essential to doing the right thing. The BOE has since ordered a study on transportation (which probably would have been better done prior to releasing A and B). Not sure if that study has been completed and presented to the board yet. It will be key to any redistricting that is done.

Not sure the BOE is intending to keep anyone in the dark right now...I think they are waiting on this further data before committing to any course of action, primarily because of the uproar the premature emission of plans A and B created.

There's an old saying, "Silence cannot be misquoted."

Last edited:
Agree 100% that the unveiling of plans A and B was handled poorly. It would not have been received well regardless of how much research and background study went into it, but those plans would have carried more weight with many folks if they had been backed up with solid data and documentation compiled by specialists in such research.

As you say, studies and research are essential to doing the right thing. The BOE has since ordered a study on transportation (which probably would have been better done prior to releasing A and B). Not sure if that study has been completed and presented to the board yet. It will be key to any redistricting that is done.

Not sure the BOE is intending to keep anyone in the dark right now...I think they are waiting on this further data before committing to any course of action, primarily because of the uproar the premature emission of plans A and B created.

There's an old saying, "Silence cannot be misquoted."

I can make a quote about this silence and I feel like it isn't a misquote. Silence should only be allowed for so long. After that it is just stupid.

Okay, if you want to make statements about the stellar finances of Stanly County schools, you are totally missing the point. Yes, the finances are fine if you want to rob the kids of an average to above average education. If you want the schools to achieve its mission that no kid is left behind and that the kids are being prepared for the future, then the finances are in horrible shape. What you have right now is a mess. Compare Stanly County with Cabarrus County schools. There is no comparison. If you want to accept mediocrity, then do nothing. If you want the schools to work, some serious discussions need to be made.

Okay, if you want to make statements about the stellar finances of Stanly County schools, you are totally missing the point. Yes, the finances are fine if you want to rob the kids of an average to above average education. If you want the schools to achieve its mission that no kid is left behind and that the kids are being prepared for the future, then the finances are in horrible shape. What you have right now is a mess. Compare Stanly County with Cabarrus County schools. There is no comparison. If you want to accept mediocrity, then do nothing. If you want the schools to work, some serious discussions need to be made.

The only satisfaction that Our Schools get without having many businesses around and Interstates is that Teams like Our Albemarle Bulldogs never win less than 11 games. It's small football in a small Town without many Jobs

"FAILURE TO CHANGE WITH THE TIMES is how West and North have ended up with 75%. School boards as far back as the 1980's could see the building boom beginning in the Locust-Stanfield area, and the plans to four-lane NC 49 from Charlotte to Asheboro were announced in the early 1990's (I think)"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I agree with this New Dawg - Dr. Byrd (former President of Stanly Community College) used to talk about the impact of the planned 4 lane road (24-27) from SCC to Charlotte all the time and the effect it would have on the college. This was back in 1982 or 1983. He talked about drawing students students from the Charlotte area and maybe having a campus in the Locust area - and you can see what happened. Public schools are very slow to change and I think there is going to be a lot of resistance from the Western Stanly people when you try to send them to Albemarle schools. There's not going to be any volunteers to change school districts and it's going to be messy.

Stanly County hates change. If anyone states anything differently they are fooling themselves. The school system is broken and very few are willing to admit to the problem. No one, and I mean no one, relocates to Stanly County because of its superior schools.

If you (this is the plural "you", better known as "ya'll") live in Stanly County, do us all a favor and start attending the School Board meetings. Talk to people, and I'm not talking about the bureaucrats that will say "Emperor, your clothes are beautiful!" when the emperor is naked. Some of the smartest people come out of Stanly County but very few can find their potential in the haphazard school system that currently exists.

Interesting enough wasn't it just brought out as the schools sit finances are not
An issue? Additionally why would one school have the largest district when one school is in the largest population in the county community wise? Wouldn't it be possible that Albemarle has seen growth but the growth even though in Albemarle city limits are in the North and West districts, primarily the West district? Additionally it seems that this is an easy fix to redistrict the west side unless certain board members have a bias to the west? Or would these plans come from that bias to avoid ruffling feathers of their buddies on the west side considering 95% of this board is either from the North or West? One last question it is no secret that they are not closing any HS why hasn't the BOE come out since the BOC announced the additional funding and said that these two options are off the table?

The statement was that they could continue to run the schools as they are. Earnhardt Forever summed up the issue. Although change is needed that does not mean people agree with Plan A and B although many people do not think any change is needed. Do not forget the person that stated the schools were ok financially also said that the local systems expect state funds to drop and then there will be some budget questions. The superintendent has stated this is a fear and there has been media coverage on Meck and Guilford systems concerning this.

Based on the recent happenings and community outrage I am surprised you would think there would be a bias or fear toward the West district.

Reactions: Earnhardt Forever
btango hit the nail on the head. If anything, the bias towards the West district is from prior school boards. This school board doesn't mind getting its collective hands dirty, trying to resolve the problems regarding the mediocre to poor quality of education that the students are currently receiving. The Board listens to the Superintendent who is not only a smart individual, but also a person who understands the slippery slope of doing nothing. The quality of education has been stuck in the mud for at least two decades and the only way to get it out of the mud is to come up with a plan.

Shaming the Board for trying to resolve the issue isn't accomplishing anything for the students. The Gene McIntyres, the Melvin Pooles, and the Justin Burrs of the world believe the best way to improve public education is to deter families from entering the school system. Look around and let me know how many K-12 students within Stanly County attend a private school, a charter school, or are homeschooled. You will realize that the rate has increased dramatically over the last 2 decades, faster than any other surrounding county. If you want to improve the economy of Stanly County, start by improving education. No one relocates to Stanly County for its stellar educational opportunities. Why move to Stanly County when you have a better school district in Cabarrus County?

Reactions: Sleehrat84
Union and Cabarrus seem to be way ahead of Stanly but they also are situated for much larger and faster growth due to bordering Meck County which has brought the commuter along with new business to those counties. If the four lanes are completed on Highway 49 from Charlotte to Asheboro I would expect the potential for more business expansion in the area. I would also expect to see more businesses opening in the western area although it seems like eastern Cabarrus County may get the look first.

I agree btango. However, Stanly County has used this "crutch" for way too long. 30 years ago Stanly was much more like Cabarrus than Montgomery County. Today Stanly is much more like Montgomery County. Although Stanly has many more people in it than Montgomery, the mindset is a bit narrow and unwilling for change.

Plan A is not the right plan, but it's much better than what they have now.

1) I haven't spoken to anybody who says change is not needed.

2) your right a lot of students in stanly county attend charter/private or homeschool. That is a huge problem statewide. So would a good answer to this be to open another magnet type school to yet take more kids from our traditional schools? Why couldn't we put these programs into our traditionals schools with the increase in funding the schools will get?

3) no bias towards west or north? Do you live here? Through all of these plans I have not heard one item that hits west or north with the exception they will get more students and possibly get there school added on

4) how are these "plans" aka ideas better than what we have now? NO research has been completed on it. Why would any person in these types of positions release these plans without crossing their T's and sitting their i's ???

Everyone I have spoken to is strongly for redistricting as am I. That will 1 save money on bussing 2) deal with students in WSHS From being in mobile units 3) add students into the under capacity schools of SSHS and AHS

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT