ADVERTISEMENT

South Davidson football coach resigns

All-out_34

Feb 5, 2012
Salisbury, NC
Brent Russell was only at South for 4 months, and never coached a game, but has resigned as head football coach. He was quoted as saying he was met with too much backlash and that the long drive were factors. Sad to see such a good coach get run out of town by administration and the people in town. South is now looking for a new coach.

Brent Russell was only at South for 4 months, and never coached a game, but has resigned as head football coach. He was quoted as saying he was met with too much backlash and that the long drive were factors. Sad to see such a good coach get run out of town by administration and the people in town. South is now looking for a new coach.

This couldn't happen at a worse time for South Davidson. The high school football season is a little over a month away.

How can a community run a coach off before he has coached his first game. Strange times we live in folks.

It was mostly the administration that was a problem. Things are done half backwards down in Denton. Their principal and AD is the reason the school is struggling athletics. A narsistic principal and a AD who doesn't know how to do her job never helps

Even so, there is such a thing as sticking in there for the kids. I was told once that if you get a bad boss or bosses, you should do your best to "outlive the SOB's".

Reactions: BulldogsFollower
Way off base. The coach was given everything he asked for. He basically left the kids hanging. Told many non truths . He knows football but does not know how to deal with people. Lots of factors here, but it has nothing to do with the people at South Davidson.
He is very self centered and does not care about kids. He is all about him,

Way off base. The coach was given everything he asked for. He basically left the kids hanging. Told many non truths . He knows football but does not know how to deal with people. Lots of factors here, but it has nothing to do with the people at South Davidson.
He is very self centered and does not care about kids. He is all about him,

Well stated. The people of SD are very supportive like most other schools. If being held to certain budgetary restraints and having accountability to administration, rules, and county procedures is back lash, then I guess you could call that back lash. All the kids heard was quit making excuses, pay now or pay later, we are going to win the YVC, blah, blah, blah. They were told everything that takes you away from football is an excuse. Then all he gave for leaving was excuses. I agree with the above comment that he knows football, but his people skills are terrible and his ego is the size of Grandfather Mountain. Also, 20-41 is not a proven winning record with one good season that appears to be the remains from a previous coaches work at NC. Three or four head jobs and resigned each time, hum that throws up a red flag to me. Administration has several on staff options and will fail these kids once again if they go outside for another so called "proven winner". Time to keep it in house with someone the kids know, trust and will lay it on the line for.

Reactions: ThrowItAround
I hate to hear this but may be better in the long run from what everyone is saying. I know South has not had any luck or many breaks in the last little while but they are some good people in Denton. Hang in there.

He left kids hanging two years in a row. Was the DC at East Meck and stepped down 2 days before the season and now this. Why was he ran out of Newton? Or did he run from there too?

I'm a brint Russell fan. He graduated a year before I did from Owen but this track record that he has created is not very good. I know he was a finalist a couple months ago for the Owen job but didn't get it which I think was because he has bounced around so much. I think he has alot to offer but he needs to commit and do it. I hope he lands somewhere which will make him happy and he will stick it out. Time will tell. Sorry SD it should not be this way. He is a good man though.

Wow....now go back several months ago and I predicted this outcome. Of course, I was blasted for my remarks then. He's done for in North Carolina as a high school head coach.

SMH.

I was one of the few that lauded his hire as a good move but I guess I was proven wrong. That wasn't very decent of him to do. I understand the travel part because when I played varsity ball my coach drove up to an hr to get to my school and it does stink but if the coach finds it worthy then that's all that matters. However the backlash reason is silly.

I've been around when times are tough in a program when there is a lot of backlash but when it comes down to it a head coach is responsible for being a man and leading the program through that. Good or bad it's supposed to be that way because it's a character building moment for everyone because football is very much like life.

I hate it for South, I really do. They cannot catch a break at all. I hope they either find a high quality outside coach with a proven multi year record not a flavor of the year, or stay in house. Maybe the interim coach from last season that won the finale with them might be a good pick.

Reactions: Sleehrat84
Ever been around a person that could never be satisfied and hated life? And the other people are always to blame for their lack of achievement? Time for someone to be a team player. That's what football is about, not poor, me, me, me.

Good grief. Looks like yet another loooong year in Denton and losing games 70-0 week after week. What a disaster that program is.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT