ADVERTISEMENT

South Carolina Wrestles with Private/Parochial Issue

Well what do you know. An advantaged school that does not want the playing field leveled. What a joke 85% of their kids may come from within 10 miles. Wonder how many of the other ones that come from farther away are good athletes.

SC with half as many high schools as NC is looking at going to five or six classes. When they decided to sub-divide 2A and looking at 3A I thought it was ridiculous. At least in SC the geography is not as cumbersome as NC.

Funny how the private school guys can scream and shout when something is unfair to them, but when they have the advantage anyone that says anything is just whining and should work harder and get better coaches. I think christ church down there has won like 7-10 straight state championship in football at the 1a level... easy solution would be to go to 5 classes. 4 classes like we are now and one .... Charters, magnets and private. doesn't seem that hard.

Christ Church has won four straight Class 1A titles and all were fairly tight games if I remember correctly and they were all after 1A was sub-divided in SC. With 200 football playing schools their bracket would have had 25 or so eligible teams with 16 playoff qualifiers. Odds get much better.

I do not agree with adding a class in NC. Read the 1A basketball threads about WS Prep and it becomes evident is not as simple a fix as we would like to think.

They have won like 50 games in a row. They have the system figured out and this creates the advantage.

I think they are undefeated for three or four seasons so fifty or more wins would be on target.

I think SC has more "private" schools in the SCHSL than NC has in the NCHSAA. I am not sure but some of theirs are not Parochial but "Christian" private schools.

Originally posted by ThePolkNation:
is WSP not a magnet?
Yes and so it W-S Atkins which is just down the street from WSP. Atkins is considered a pretty strong academic magnet while WSP is not.

Putting a charter or small magnet that has stringent entry requirements and is an elite academic school in a classification with WSP is not the answer. In my opinion Forsyth County is the issue. They have opened up numerous schools resulting in smaller schools such as Carver being 2A and the county has open enrollment.

A lot of larger counties have schools that are regular district schools but have a magnet program included in the student body. In cases I know those are high end academic classes and will usually be found at 3A and 4A schools. No problem with them being in those classifications at all.

I wrote on this site five ans six years ago that Parochial Schools were just a small issue compared to what was coming with charters and small open magnets. It is here.

Read the posts in the 1A Basketball thread. A lot of posts about this mainly in the WSP topic.

Originally posted by bareman:
Prep bombed big time when the state report card came out....
You can still smell the napalm but I wonder if Forsyth County Schools ever noticed? Ridiculous.

I would like to know how Robbinsville did on this report card. Anyone?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT