ADVERTISEMENT

SMC non conference preseason predictions.....

BK13T-$

Jul 23, 2009
Andrews WildCats. (2-3)
At Brevard (L)
Vs Tellico (W)
At Mitchell (L)
Vs Union Co. G.A. (L)
At Hayesville (W)

Cherokee Braves. (2-3)
Vs Trinity Academy (w)
At Mitchell (L)
At Choctaw Miss. (L)
Vs Cosby Tenn. (W)
Vs Smoky Mtn. (L).

Hayesville YellowJackets (1-4)
At Towns Co. G.A. (W)
Vs Copper Basin Tenn. (L)
Vs Trinity Academy Tenn. (L)
At Enka (L)
Vs Andrews (L)

Murphy Bulldogs (2-3)
Vs Hendersonville (L)
At Franklin (L)
Vs Carolina Wildcats (W)
At North G.A. Falcons (W)
Vs Gilmer County G.A. (L)

Robbinsville Black Knights (3-1)
At Smoky Mtn (W)
Vs Charlotte County Day (L)
At Dade County G.A. (W)
Vs Rabun Gap G.A. (W)

Rosman Tigers (4-1)
Vs Shannon Forest (W)
At Brevard (W)
At Madison (W)
Vs Mtn. Heritage (L)
Vs Tri-Cities Tenn. (W)

Swain County (4-1)
At Hapeville Charter G.A. (W)
Vs Smoky Mtn. (W)
At North Henderson (W)
At Franklin (L)
Vs Tuscola (W)

Last edited:
looks about right I'd say, the only one I disagree with more than a game is Cherokee, I think they will win at least two or three non conference games

Last edited:
Murphy vs Hendo should be a good game. Rabin could be tough for us. The Gap returns 2 really good players. I notice the rest of the SMC dropped them.

Predictions look pretty good, except I think Hayesville and Cherokee both win more than you have them down for.

And it looks like Robbinsville is the only public school on Rabun Gap's schedule this year...no more Andrews, Cherokee, or Thomas Jefferson. They lost a 1500 yard rusher but return the coach's son (QB) and his top two targets.

Last edited:
Recko Harrell is there best players. He hurt us last year. He might of had 200 yds or more and a few tds.

The Running back from last year didnt hurt us. Small gains. They just ran the ball to keep us honest. The year before they had a good running back. Think his name was Rashad Rushing. If they keep improving they will be able to play with any team in the SMC before long.

Last edited:
If they keep improving they will be able to play with any team in the SMC before long.
I wish Murphy could have scheduled Rabun Gap this season to be honest. I would much rather see that matchup than the 'Dogs playing two home school teams.

I can live with two home schools on the schedule this season BUT ONLY if at least one of those games is a one year deal. Murphy is going to be really young this season and they might need two "gimme" games in an otherwise strong non conference schedule, that's the only reason I'm ok with it for this season. But beyond 2015, with the team Murphy is likely have the next two years, it would be a joke and a travesty if they're playing both of these schools next season, especially when you factor in the non existent gate they will bring.

Also, 2016 and 2017 is one time Murphy should definitely go out and test themselves against a quality bigger class opponent in the area. The 'Dogs should have the size and depth those seasons to be competitive with some of the better teams in the region. I'm praying at least one of the two home school teams is off the schedule for 2016 so Murphy can schedule one of the better big class programs in the area to a home and home series in '16 and '17. Teams I'd love to see considered for a date: Asheville, AC Reynolds, Erwin, Farragut TN, Signal Mountain TN, Bradley Central TN, Cleveland TN, Dalton GA and Stephens County GA. All good local (within 2 hours) programs but none of them so elite that a great Murphy team (like '16 and '17 could be) wouldn't be able to compete with them and maybe even pull out a win in one of the two games.

Win or lose playing any of the above programs those two seasons would only benefit those Murphy team's quest for a title, as well bring in an excellent gate for the athletic program as a whole. Not to mention the excitement it would create for the Murphy fans and community and the momentum and confidence boost a good showing against one of those programs would generate for the 'Dogs.

Last edited:
Predictions look pretty good, except I think Hayesville and Cherokee both win more than you have them down for.

And it looks like Robbinsville is the only public school on Rabun Gap's schedule this year...no more Andrews, Cherokee, or Thomas Jefferson. They lost a 1500 yard rusher but return the coach's son (QB) and his top two targets.

Hayesville should be much improved, numbers are up and the addition of a strength and conditioning coach should bring more productivity on the field.

I could see Swain pulling a W over Franklin this year.
If the game were at Swain I could see that happening because Franklin is going to be young this year, but it's at Franklin and pretty unlikely they will go into the Pit and get a win. Franklin has one of the better home field advantages in the state, for a variety of reasons

Hayesville should be much improved, numbers are up and the addition of a strength and conditioning coach should bring more productivity on the field.
I'm glad to hear that, that's good news for what was looking like some real attrition on the way for the Jackets program. With that said, Myers is still the head man, is he not? As long as that's the case Hayesville will in all likelihood underperform and underachieve relative to their talent level.

Just ask any Murphy fans who're old enough to recall the state of the program during the late 70's and early 80's or any of the Franklin fans who were around the Panthers program during the '90s. He almost buried both programs, If not for a great coach and some great talent coming through who knows how long it would've taken for Murphy's program to fully recover. It took a former D1 head coach coming in to get Franklin back on track.

Last edited:
Country Day will be a handful. Love this game and hope it continues. Last year we could of played with them but this year it will be tough to keep it close. But who really knows. We will be playing them the 2nd game of the season and that will NOT help us any. Either way it will help us going forward.

Reactions: BulldogsFollower
Andrews WildCats. (2-3)
At Brevard (L)
Vs Tellico (W)
At Mitchell (L)
Vs Union Co. G.A. (L)
At Hayesville (W)

Cherokee Braves. (1-4)
Vs Trinity Academy (L)
At Mitchell (L)
At Choctaw Miss. (L)
Vs Cosby Tenn. (W)
Vs Smoky Mtn. (L).

Hayesville YellowJackets (1-4)
At Towns Co. G.A. (W)
Vs Copper Basin Tenn. (L)
Vs Trinity Academy Tenn. (L)
At Enka (L)
Vs Andrews (L)

Murphy Bulldogs (3-2)
Vs Hendersonville (W)
At Franklin (L)
Vs Carolina Wildcats (W)
At North G.A. Falcons (W)
Vs Gilmer County G.A. (L)

Robbinsville Black Knights (3-1)
At Smoky Mtn (W)
Vs Charlotte County Day (L)
At Dade County G.A. (W)
Vs Rabun Gap G.A. (W)

Rosman Tigers (4-1)
Vs Shannon Forest (W)
At Brevard (W)
At Madison (W)
Vs Mtn. Heritage (L)
Vs Tri-Cities Tenn. (W)

Swain County (4-1)
At Hapeville Charter G.A. (W)
Vs Smoky Mtn. (W)
At North Henderson (W)
At Franklin (L)
Vs Tuscola (W)

Good work BK, but I've got a somewhat different outlook for some of the teams....

Andrews lost a lot of offensive production, so it could be tough at Hayesville if the Yellowjackets return the Leek kid and more bodies as mentioned by recycled, so I'll say 1-4?

Don't know that much about several of Cherokee's non-conf foes, but they did beat Choctaw last year, and most think that the Braves will be much improved....They also get Trinity at home for the opener, so I'll give the Braves the early nod in this one too....Can't remember a whole lot off the top of the head about Smoky, but seems they return some size and the Wolfe kid will be a handfull, so the Mustangs may have the advantage as will Mitchell Co. on the road....I'll say 3-2 for the Braves?

If Hayesville does indeed have more turnout, and return some key players who were injured last season, I could see a reversal to 4-1?...I confess that I know nothing about the out-of-state teams, but Hayesville has played and beat those teams before with maybe the exception of Trinity, but who knows what kind of team they will bring to Hayesville?....I look for Hayesville to finish 3-2 or possibilly even 4-1 in non-conf play depending on the strength of those Tennessee teams?

Hard to disagree with your pick of Murphy finishing with a 3-2 non-conference record, but I'm just not as confident as a lot of people that Franklin is going to be anywhere close to as good as they were last year....Some will say that it doesn't matter because Murphy will be too inexperienced to take advantage of the weaknesses of the Panthers, and they may, or may not be right?....Murphy did lose a lot, and those players stepping into the shoes of those departed seniors, will have to prove themselves early,especially on defense?....Offensively, Murphy will be good right out of the gate, and that gives them a better than average chance to beat a Franklin team that likes to ground and pound their opponent, but will doing it this year without a Young in the backfield?....I give Murphy a great shot to beat Franklin this year, so I'll say 4-1 for the Bulldogs?

BK, you know your Black Knights better than I so if you believe that they'll finish 3-1 in non-conf play...Who's too agrue?

I think Swain runs the table this year, and finishes unbeaten in non-conf. play(5-0)?

As for my Tigers, it's still early yet, and some kids may have not decided whether or not they want to play football, so there's seemingly always that to deal with every year?....And then there's the constant offseason injuries from ATVs or Horseplay that'll sideline a player or two....If those uncertaintys are minimized, the Tigers have a pretty good chance to have a team capable of a winning record....Remember, a Rosman Tiger Football team has not finished the season with a winning record since 2001....They did finish with a 7-7 record a few years ago, but that's been it for the past 14 seasons.....Is that ANY motivation for this year's team which should have more Seniors than any Tiger team in recent memory?.....Only they themselves, know that?.....If all the Stars align, and players come out who are expected to play, and one or two unexpectantly decides to play adding depth and talent, the Tigers have a chance for a big turnaround this year, and dare I say it: A deep playoff run?.....It's hard to be too optimistic until you see whose on the sidelines for that first game against Shannon Forest, and that following game at Brevard?

If the positive things happen, Rosman can, and should finish unbeaten in non-conference play?....Yeah, I know MT Heritage will be tough to beat, but the two teams are basically dead-even in the all time series between the two teams with the Cougars possibilly holding a 1 game edge in the series, and the game is in Rosman...The health of the team will be crucial in order for the Tigers to have a chance in this game?

If season-ending injuries occur again this year, and the team doesn't play together, or Players decide not to play for one reason or the other?....It's not hard at all for me to see this team finishing 2-3 or 1-4 in non-conference play with another long season ahead?.....

Right now based on what I'm hearing, I'm expecting this team to finish UNBEATEN in non-conference play, but we'll revist these predictions once practice and the scrimmages begin?

Good luck to all the SMC teams against their NON-CONF. foes, this coming season!

Roar Tigers Roar!

Trinity was the 2nd ranked 2a team in Tenn. I think they will win.

If Rosman comes out 5-0 I will be taking notice. My question is this. Rosman will have to replace so lineman this year, right? If so, I think the Tigers season comes down to how good or how fast can the new guys learn and produce. I think it is going to take a good line to have a good finish in the SMC.

Good work BK, but I've got a somewhat different outlook for some of the teams....

Andrews lost a lot of offensive production, so it could be tough at Hayesville if the Yellowjackets return the Leek kid and more bodies as mentioned by recycled, so I'll say 1-4?

Don't know that much about several of Cherokee's non-conf foes, but they did beat Choctaw last year, and most think that the Braves will be much improved....They also get Trinity at home for the opener, so I'll give the Braves the early nod in this one too....Can't remember a whole lot off the top of the head about Smoky, but seems they return some size and the Wolfe kid will be a handfull, so the Mustangs may have the advantage as will Mitchell Co. on the road....I'll say 3-2 for the Braves?

If Hayesville does indeed have more turnout, and return some key players who were injured last season, I could see a reversal to 4-1?...I confess that I know nothing about the out-of-state teams, but Hayesville has played and beat those teams before with maybe the exception of Trinity, but who knows what kind of team they will bring to Hayesville?....I look for Hayesville to finish 3-2 or possibilly even 4-1 in non-conf play depending on the strength of those Tennessee teams?

Hard to disagree with your pick of Murphy finishing with a 3-2 non-conference record, but I'm just not as confident as a lot of people that Franklin is going to be anywhere close to as good as they were last year....Some will say that it doesn't matter because Murphy will be too inexperienced to take advantage of the weaknesses of the Panthers, and they may, or may not be right?....Murphy did lose a lot, and those players stepping into the shoes of those departed seniors, will have to prove themselves early,especially on defense?....Offensively, Murphy will be good right out of the gate, and that gives them a better than average chance to beat a Franklin team that likes to ground and pound their opponent, but will doing it this year without a Young in the backfield?....I give Murphy a great shot to beat Franklin this year, so I'll say 4-1 for the Bulldogs?

BK, you know your Black Knights better than I so if you believe that they'll finish 3-1 in non-conf play...Who's too agrue?

I think Swain runs the table this year, and finishes unbeaten in non-conf. play(5-0)?

As for my Tigers, it's still early yet, and some kids may have not decided whether or not they want to play football, so there's seemingly always that to deal with every year?....And then there's the constant offseason injuries from ATVs or Horseplay that'll sideline a player or two....If those uncertaintys are minimized, the Tigers have a pretty good chance to have a team capable of a winning record....Remember, a Rosman Tiger Football team has not finished the season with a winning record since 2001....They did finish with a 7-7 record a few years ago, but that's been it for the past 14 seasons.....Is that ANY motivation for this year's team which should have more Seniors than any Tiger team in recent memory?.....Only they themselves, know that?.....If all the Stars align, and players come out who are expected to play, and one or two unexpectantly decides to play adding depth and talent, the Tigers have a chance for a big turnaround this year, and dare I say it: A deep playoff run?.....It's hard to be too optimistic until you see whose on the sidelines for that first game against Shannon Forest, and that following game at Brevard?

If the positive things happen, Rosman can, and should finish unbeaten in non-conference play?....Yeah, I know MT Heritage will be tough to beat, but the two teams are basically dead-even in the all time series between the two teams with the Cougars possibilly holding a 1 game edge in the series, and the game is in Rosman...The health of the team will be crucial in order for the Tigers to have a chance in this game?

If season-ending injuries occur again this year, and the team doesn't play together, or Players decide not to play for one reason or the other?....It's not hard at all for me to see this team finishing 2-3 or 1-4 in non-conference play with another long season ahead?.....

Right now based on what I'm hearing, I'm expecting this team to finish UNBEATEN in non-conference play, but we'll revist these predictions once practice and the scrimmages begin?

Good luck to all the SMC teams against their NON-CONF. foes, this coming season!

Roar Tigers Roar!

Tigertown I always enjoy reading your posts! I think it will be a tough task for the Tigers to beat Heritage this season! The few players we lost to graduation we bring up a undefeated JV team that was loaded with skill players. I look for the Cougars to have a great year. Not saying that Rosman won't they had several good looking players last year and I know your star RB didn't play due to injury.

Tigertown I always enjoy reading your posts! I think it will be a tough task for the Tigers to beat Heritage this season! The few players we lost to graduation we bring up a undefeated JV team that was loaded with skill players. I look for the Cougars to have a great year. Not saying that Rosman won't they had several good looking players last year and I know your star RB didn't play due to injury.

BK, You make a good point about the line....Tigers do return a few lineman, and line play is generally the most important positions as you say, but I also like the fact that Rosman returns the backfield in tack, and both Gage Orr and Tanner Green have rushed for 1,000 or more yards in the last couple of years....It would be great to see both those young men stay healthy this year?

MHC#16, There's no doubt that the Robinson kid is going to be tough to handle this year, and Coach Joey Robinson has done quite simply a tremendous job in building the Mountain Heritage program to where it is today....As I mentioned, a lot will have to go right for the Tigers that night, and a lot will have to go wrong for the Cougars if the Tigers are to have any chance against one of the WHC favorites....Looking forward to the season this year, and will be viewing the game from the sideline as I've decided to step away from broadcasting, and let someone else take over....Been told that Mike West is wanting the opportunity, and I hope that he gets it because Mike will do a great job, is a Tiger alumnus and former player, and bleeds Orange and Black!....

Back to the Topic!

Roar Tigers Roar!

Which starter did they lose? #50,#55,#63,#66,#77 are seniors. I know #66 started on offense, and #77 started on Defense, and #55 started both sides of the ball. So if those 3 where seniors then that makes 2 spots on offensive line and two spots on defensive line.

Last edited:
Which starter did they lose? #50,#55,#63,#66,#77 are seniors. I know #66 started on offense, and #77 started on Defense, and #55 started both sides of the ball. So if those 3 where seniors then that makes 2 spots on offensive line and two spots on defensive line.

Tigers lost starting guard Aaron Newman to graduation who played both ways, and will be missed, and also lost Senior Keen Jones who played for only 1 year on the varsity, but was a key player too on both sides of the ball for the Tigers last year....All in all, I think the Tigers only lost 4 or 5 Seniors to graduation, so most of the team returns....There are some other players who were hurt last year that likely could make a big difference this year if they are able to play?

As I mentioned earlier, this is a large Senior class this year for the Tigers, and it is also one of the most talented in recent memory....Been quite some time since the Tigers have returned two 1,000yd rushers and a QB who will be starting his 3rd year under center....Again, lots of promise for this year's team, but sitll some question marks like most teams until the season begins!

Roar Tigers Roar!

I am thinking the Tigers had 7 seniors last year. This year I think the Tigers will have 16 senoirs. The seven from last year was the 5 lineman I mentioned above and also #45 and 30. I think those where there #s.

Robbinsville only had 11 senoirs last year and 10 this year. Unless some new kids move in or someone plays who didnt last year.

Recko Harrell is there best players. He hurt us last year. He might of had 200 yds or more and a few tds.

The Running back from last year didnt hurt us. Small gains. They just ran the ball to keep us honest. The year before they had a good running back. Think his name was Rashad Rushing. If they keep improving they will be able to play with any team in the SMC before long.
The playmakers are returning, but we have lost a lot on the line. The good news is we have about 35-40 guys dressing out this year, maybe 22 last year and only about 14-15 played each game. 2 way for almost everyone was TOUGH. Wish we were still playing the SMC teams. Nice to play at actual Friday nite HS atmospheres!!

Hey Arnie. Are you making the trip to Robbinsville this year? Should be a good game. We lost alot of Skill but return a huge line and Rabun lost the line but return the skill. This is Rabun gaps best chance at beating Rville so far. You will get your atmosphere here at Big Oaks for sure.

Hey Arnie. Are you making the trip to Robbinsville this year? Should be a good game. We lost alot of Skill but return a huge line and Rabun lost the line but return the skill. This is Rabun gaps best chance at beating Rville so far. You will get your atmosphere here at Big Oaks for sure.
Will definitely be there BK!! Im not sure why it was moved to a Thursday nite, but I suppose it will still be a great crowd!! I dont know about winning the game though, haha. I thought last year was our chance, catching you first game AND at 4:30 PM. It was HOT! Kids were dropping like flies!! I hope we give you a good game! I'll be in touch when it gets closer. Maybe we can get together before the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT