ADVERTISEMENT

Providence Day vs Charlotte Catholic

Vik-Val 86

May 20, 2020
Two good teams going at it with 2-0 record with both team’s scoring over 40 points a game. Should be interesting. Any thoughts with this game.

Reactions: AmosAlonzoStagg
Two good teams going at it with 2-0 record with both team’s scoring over 40 points a game. Should be interesting. Any thoughts with this game.
As a Catholic partisan, I feel they are going in as a decided underdog on paper. However, they have the type of game that can frustrate a team like Providence Day. This will be a game of extremely contrasting styles. I think keys to the game are as follows:
- If this is a high scoring track meet, Providence Day wins. Catholic does have 2 D1 tight ends, a couple additional players that can catch and a quarterback that can get it to them. They will need to pick their moments but can throw the ball, so this adds a wrinkle to their capabilities. However, Catholic must slow the game down.
- Catholic needs to have controlled drives that eat up the clock and keep the PD offense off the field. Nothing more demoralizing to a high scoring team than for the offense to sit on the sidelines for 6, 7, 8 minutes or more waiting their turn and depending on their defense to give them a possession. PD may get only 2 or 3 possessions in a half and will have to make the most of them. Catholic needs to limit those possessions. Three and outs will kill them. PD will score. Time of possession needs to be 2:1 in favor of Catholic for them to have a chance.
- To stop Catholic's run game, PDs safeties will have to come up and make tackles. They usually expect to chase rabbits against spread offenses. Catholic will make them play in a phone booth. Their play will be critical to the outcome of the game.
- Catholic will need to win the turnover battle. They can't give PD field position or cheap scores.
- Catholic's defense will need to limit the big plays and keep the game in front of them. PD is explosive with quick strike capability. Catholic has to make them earn every yard. They must also get some heat on the quarterback. The best quarterback will struggle and become prone to mistakes if under stress and sacked a few times. If he can stand in the pocket with no rush, the PD quarterback will pick Catholic apart.
- Catholic will need to limit the penalties. They got a little sloppy at times with South and Northern Durham. Penalties at the wrong time agaist PD will be drive killers for them in this game.
- PD has been battle tested with their opening game against Northwestern. Catholic's opening two games didn't push them. Advantage PD here
This game has the potential to be a slugfest like last year's matchup that was decided in the final seconds. Catholic can win but their margin of error is much smaller than PD's. They have to execute their ball control approach and limit mistakes. If they do, this will be fun to watch. If they don't, the game could get out of hand quickly. Best of luck to both teams.

As a Catholic partisan, I feel they are going in as a decided underdog on paper. However, they have the type of game that can frustrate a team like Providence Day. This will be a game of extremely contrasting styles. I think keys to the game are as follows:
- If this is a high scoring track meet, Providence Day wins. Catholic does have 2 D1 tight ends, a couple additional players that can catch and a quarterback that can get it to them. They will need to pick their moments but can throw the ball, so this adds a wrinkle to their capabilities. However, Catholic must slow the game down.
- Catholic needs to have controlled drives that eat up the clock and keep the PD offense off the field. Nothing more demoralizing to a high scoring team than for the offense to sit on the sidelines for 6, 7, 8 minutes or more waiting their turn and depending on their defense to give them a possession. PD may get only 2 or 3 possessions in a half and will have to make the most of them. Catholic needs to limit those possessions. Three and outs will kill them. PD will score. Time of possession needs to be 2:1 in favor of Catholic for them to have a chance.
- To stop Catholic's run game, PDs safeties will have to come up and make tackles. They usually expect to chase rabbits against spread offenses. Catholic will make them play in a phone booth. Their play will be critical to the outcome of the game.
- Catholic will need to win the turnover battle. They can't give PD field position or cheap scores.
- Catholic's defense will need to limit the big plays and keep the game in front of them. PD is explosive with quick strike capability. Catholic has to make them earn every yard. They must also get some heat on the quarterback. The best quarterback will struggle and become prone to mistakes if under stress and sacked a few times. If he can stand in the pocket with no rush, the PD quarterback will pick Catholic apart.
- Catholic will need to limit the penalties. They got a little sloppy at times with South and Northern Durham. Penalties at the wrong time agaist PD will be drive killers for them in this game.
- PD has been battle tested with their opening game against Northwestern. Catholic's opening two games didn't push them. Advantage PD here
This game has the potential to be a slugfest like last year's matchup that was decided in the final seconds. Catholic can win but their margin of error is much smaller than PD's. They have to execute their ball control approach and limit mistakes. If they do, this will be fun to watch. If they don't, the game could get out of hand quickly. Best of luck to both teams.
Yeah, what he said

I think on any given day a team like CC could play with anyone in the state. They are well coached and play consistent hard hitting football. This type of match up is why I love High School football.

Last year Providence Day just did pull it out over Catholic 21-20. I could see possible close game again but with more scoring.

ESPNU is blocked on Spectrum. All ESPN channels are blocked because of increase in cost. Way to go Disney NOT! Not sure how long this will go on!

ESPNU is blocked on Spectrum. All ESPN channels are blocked because of increase in cost. Way to go Disney NOT! Not sure how long this will go on!
Game is sold out now as of this morning. Greedy corporate companies are denying these kids a great experience locally. Stupid

If its at providence day school they have one of the smallest stadiums IVE seen

If its at providence day school they have one of the smallest stadiums IVE seen
Could get interesting. The big 4 privates (PD, Latin, Country Day, Christian) in Charlotte love hosting Catholic because it is a money game for them. Catholic will bring 1500-2000 to big game if it is local. None of these schools have adequate seating for the visiting teams with a traveling fan base. Don't be surprised of the Catholic partisans that arrive early flood the home bleachers simply because they want to sit. Nothing derogatory, but if PD truly has the stated intentions of going national with their program, they will need to upgrade the visitors' bleachers.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
As big as this game is maybe they should had it at a bigger venue. I’ve seen big games from other areas to move to bigger stadiums. But then again. I could be wrong on my thought process.

Could get interesting. The big 4 privates (PD, Latin, Country Day, Christian) in Charlotte love hosting Catholic because it is a money game for them. Catholic will bring 1500-2000 to big game if it is local. None of these schools have adequate seating for the visiting teams with a traveling fan base. Don't be surprised of the Catholic partisans that arrive early flood the home bleachers simply because they want to sit. Nothing derogatory, but if PD truly has the stated intentions of going national with their program, they will need to upgrade the visitors' bleachers.
Country Day doesn't play Catholic anymore. It seems they're de-emphasizing football.

Last edited:
Yes, that stadium is pretty small. They'll need to upgrade their stadium to go along with Chad Grier's recruits. It'll be interesting to see if the same thing eventually happens with Providence Day that happened with St. Frances Academy out of Baltimore. They made that same decision to go national. They started recruiting players as Providence Day is now doing. They were in a conference. As they recruited more players and games became less competitive, the teams in their conference refused to play them. Eventually, they left the conference. It'll be interesting to see if the other privates in Charlotte, at some point, decide to do the same thing, or if Providence Day on their own decide to part ways. If this happens, I fully expect Country Day to stop playing them first, as they have Catholic. They seem to be de-emphasizing football now. I would then expect Latin to be the next. Then, eventually Christian. But, we'll see.

Last edited:
That's only if you have Spectrum. ESPN and ESPNU are available on Hulu+TV. That's what I have and it's available.

Country Day doesn't play Catholic anymore. It seems they're de-emphasizing football.
It's a shame. This was quite a rivalry for over 50 years but the CD football program has fallen on hard times. The last time Country Day played Catholic was a jv game two years ago. The varsity teams haven't played since 2018. Coach Bob Wittman, although he "retired" a few years ago, is still in the picture helping his son as an assistant. He is an elite high school football coach so it isn't lack of coaching. Historically, they always found 5-6 "add-ins" every year that made them extremely competitive. Doesn't appear to be the case anymore.

Providence Day 47 Charlotte Catholic 24
On paper, I have to agree. Catholic has the potential to make this interesting but margin of error is narrow. If they make mistakes and can't control the clock, this game could get out of hand pretty quickly.

I worked the game for the NFHS Network last year. It came down to who had the ball last. CC couldn't stop the passing game and PD couldn't stop the run. I believe PD run defense has gotten better. CC has had success throwing the ball. Northwestern had 397 passing against PD. I'm hoping for a very competitive game. Great Coaching on both sides. The Larsen Kid, who seems like he's been playing at Catholic for decades, is a Stud.

Last edited:
Yes, that stadium is pretty small. They'll need to upgrade their stadium to go along with Chad Grier's recruits. It'll be interesting to see if the same thing eventually happens with Providence Day that happened with St. Frances Academy out of Baltimore. They made that same decision to go national. They started recruiting players as Providence Day is now doing. They were in a conference. As they recruited more players and games became less competitive, the teams in their conference refused to play them. Eventually, they left the conference. It'll be interesting to see if the other privates in Charlotte, at some point, decide to do the same thing, or if Providence Day on their own decide to part ways. If this happens, I fully expect Country Day to stop playing them first, as they have Catholic. They seem to be de-emphasizing football now. I would then expect Latin to be the next. Then, eventually Christian. But, we'll see.
Not going to happen. I don't believe the higher ups will let that happen on that level. PD has some guys, but not in the same stratosphere of depth as a St. Frances. PD has guys playing both ways. St. Frances has 5,4, and 3 stars playing on both sides of the ball with similar guys backing them up.

Not going to happen. I don't believe the higher ups will let that happen on that level. PD has some guys, but not in the same stratosphere of depth as a St. Frances. PD has guys playing both ways. St. Frances has 5,4, and 3 stars playing on both sides of the ball with similar guys backing them up.
I lived in Maryland when St. Frances was starting their transition. They weren't at the same level they are now at first either. In going national, you can't focus on where Providence Day is now. With Chad Grier's recruiting, you need to look at where they're heading. Adam Hastings did a good job at PD but not like Chad Grier is and will be doing. When Providence Day hired Grier, they had reached out to him. He hadn't applied for a job their when Hastings left. They also told him, his young son could attend there. That's not normally how it works with the privates. So, recruiting, so to speak, began there. So, don't focus on where PD is now. Try to project where they'll be 5, 6, 7 years from now.

I lived in Maryland when St. Frances was starting their transition. They weren't at the same level they are now at first either. In going national, you can't focus on where Providence Day is now. With Chad Grier's recruiting, you need to look at where they're heading. Adam Hastings did a good job at PD but not like Chad Grier is and will be doing. When Providence Day hired Grier, they had reached out to him. He hadn't applied for a job there when Hastings left. They also told him, his young son could attend there. That's not normally how it works with the privates. So, recruiting, so to speak, began there. So, don't focus on where PD is now. Try to project where they'll be 5, 6, 7 years from now.
Who’s focusing on now? I don’t see it happening, and It’s not the same. Two totally different programs in the way their administration is set up. Not happening 6 to 7 years from now. Local coaches will shut that down long before that happens. Saint Frances is also much more lenient academically, PD is not.

Who’s focusing on now? I don’t see it happening, and It’s not the same. Two totally different programs in the way their administration is set up. Not happening 6 to 7 years from now. Local coaches will shut that down long before that happens. Saint Frances is also much more lenient academically, PD is not.
We'll see.

No! You’ll see. PD administration would have to make some serious changes, regarding enrollment requirements.. Not happening.
Nepsy, I've read many of your posts over the years. Why are you sometimes appearing angry and snap back at people? I know, you're the all knowing one of high school football on this board. You have inside information on every high school in the Charlotte area, don't you?. In reality, I doubt that. Lest you forget, my wife was a teacher at one of the privates. You don't think I know how admissions work? You don't think the administration could change or bend enrollment requirements? And yes, I know you'll come roaring back and give me one of your fierce responses. Guess what? I don't care. Like I said, we'll see. So, you have a great day.

Reactions: CPC4LIFE
Nepsy, I've read many of your posts over the years. Why are you sometimes appearing angry and snap back at people? I know, you're the all knowing one of high school football on this board. You have inside information on every high school in the Charlotte area, don't you?. In reality, I doubt that. Lest you forget, my wife was a teacher at one of the privates. You don't think I know how admissions work? You don't think the administration could change or bend enrollment requirements? And yes, I know you'll come roaring back and give me one of your fierce responses. Guess what? I don't care. Like I said, we'll see. So, you have a great day.
We disagreed! That's it. You've probably forgotten more than I know about the privates. Why would I be angry because you have an opinion. Absolutely nothing personal. I don't see any of the privates in Charlotte turning into the Mater Dei, St. Frances, St. John Bosco's of the world. You have an Outstanding fabulous weekend.If I’m wrong, I’ll eat crow, which I’ve done often on this site. 🤷🏾‍♂️👍🏾✔️

Last edited:
Nothing derogatory, but if PD truly has the stated intentions of going national with their program, they will need to upgrade the visitors' bleachers.
De LaSalle in California was at or near the top of high school football programs in America for two decades. Their stadium was very basic. St Thomas Aquinas, John Curtis Christian, Moeller, St Edwards, St Ignatius the same.

The Big Three (P Day, C Day, Latin) want to have successful athletic programs. P Day has shown they are serious about football but I can tell you with zero hesitancy the powers that be at those three schools are all about academics. They will drop football before the academic integrity is diminished. I know two players that went through the process and got scholarship money. One went to Yale. Football got them in the school but they were elite students. Think it’s loosened up a bit but still very strict.

Reactions: nepsy7
CC got whipped. Didn't expect that.
Understatement. Thought if Catholic played disciplined ball, made no mistakes and capitalized on few, they could hang with Providence Day. Jimmies and Joes matter and I am not sure more than 3-4 of Catholic's players could start at PD. However, PD looked to be more disciplined and made fewer mistakes. A solid team front to back. PD will make a lot of good teams look bad. Catholic has some work to do before the conference schedule kicks in.

Understatement. Thought if Catholic played disciplined ball, made no mistakes and capitalized on few, they could hang with Providence Day. Jimmies and Joes matter and I am not sure more than 3-4 of Catholic's players could start at PD. However, PD looked to be more disciplined and made fewer mistakes. A solid team front to back. PD will make a lot of good teams look bad. Catholic has some work to do before the conference schedule kicks in.
Discipline is CC game. CC has great athletes. They historically have been great athletes in a disciplined scheme which brings great success. Similar to Dudley IMHO. A strong disciplined run oriented scheme with great athletes.

When CC started this pass stuff it had me worried they would lose identity and constantly get behind the chains. Running a contrarian offense is their biggest positive. Just hope they dont get too pass happy and lose their identity. Going pass happy makes them like everyone else and thus easier to defend.

We saw how Butler finished over Hughes? It was their base sweep wing T under center that was their staple for years. Running matters especially under center.

Discipline is CC game. CC has great athletes. They historically have been great athletes in a disciplined scheme which brings great success. Similar to Dudley IMHO. A strong disciplined run oriented scheme with great athletes.

When CC started this pass stuff it had me worried they would lose identity and constantly get behind the chains. Running a contrarian offense is their biggest positive. Just hope they dont get too pass happy and lose their identity. Going pass happy makes them like everyone else and thus easier to defend.

We saw how Butler finished over Hughes? It was their base sweep wing T under center that was their staple for years. Running matters especially under center.
Two totally different styles of offenses and athletes. Dudley has been running a spread passing/running out of the shot gun since 16’ when they won with Hooker and when they just won in 21’ and run it now with 3-4 D1 wrs. I agree with everything else and that Catholic shouldn’t get too far away from their identity because I think it worked best for them but the comparison was just bad. I could see CC being successful running the same offense or similar to PR if they did go to the shot gun formation majority of the time.

Butler just straight up out coached those guys down in GA. They hit them with so many formations Hughes coaches didn’t know what to do in the first half.

Last edited:
Two totally different styles of offenses and athletes. Dudley has been running a spread passing/running out of the shot gun since 16’ when they won with Hooker and when they just won in 21’ and run it now with 3-4 D1 wrs. I agree with everything else and that Catholic shouldn’t get too far away from their identity because I think it worked best for them but the comparison was just bad. I could see CC being successful running the same offense or similar to PR if they did go to the shot gun formation majority of the time.

Butler just straight up out coached those guys down in GA. They hit them with so many formations Hughes coaches didn’t know what to do in the first half.
Agree 💯 different styles. Just the same formula/method. They plug n play athletes and mold them to their system vs. Changing a system yearly to fit athletes.

CC is not a shotgun team. The more shotgun they do the worse they will be. Its a system from MS up. The double wing/wing T is hard to defend. Hard to gameplan for. Shotgun run defense principles typically remain the same regardless of opponent. And depending on how well the qb reads/runs.

Agree 💯 different styles. Just the same formula/method. They plug n play athletes and mold them to their system vs. Changing a system yearly to fit athletes.

CC is not a shotgun team. The more shotgun they do the worse they will be. It’s a system from MS up. The double wing/wing T is hard to defend. Hard to gameplan for. Shotgun run defense principles typically remain the same regardless of opponent. And depending on how well the qb reads/runs.
I’m familiar with CC system from MS up. I just meant if they were to change the system and go towards the shot gun it should be something similar to what PR runs which is practically the same thing out of the shot gun formation with some triple option implemented.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigdadd11103
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT