ADVERTISEMENT

Preliminary Boys Brackets are up

The top 2 sectionals are a joke. Albemarle could roll out their JV team and make it to Wake Forest against that bracket. Mount Airy should cruise in as well.

In the bottom half, it'll come down to Avery vs. Hayesville for the third regional spot. That bottom sectional is the proverbial group of death, to borrow a soccer term. Starmount drew the short end of the stick there big time. Whoever comes out of that sectional will have earned it.

5 of those 8 teams were ranked in the 1A Poll at one time or another....(Starmount/Alleghany/WS Prep/East Surry/Bishop).

Go ahead and try to get Albemarle to play their JV team against Cherokee! I would pay double to watch that one!

GUESS there will be a MVAC and Northwest Tournament after all- except it will be call the bottom bracket of the 1A west!!

Looks like you are right. I don't know what the conference presidents of those two conferences did to the NCHSAA but wow. That bottom quarter may be the strongest sectional in history. Like they say, if your gonna win you gotta beat them all, but wow. Albemarle will make it Winston Salem without having to play a game all year, I fear they will have to use their varsity against Cherokee, but do not expect a game out of it. Congratulations to Mt Airy on losing their draw to Winston Salem Prep it sure put them in a heck of a good spot.

No love for smc boys guys ... I promise cherokee and robbinsville will test albemarle.. Guess that's why they call it playoffs... Play it off and see who wins ..

Hey please don't get me wrong, I will be pulling for Robbinsville and Cherokee, but I am just being realistic. Hey look at it like this, it is a no lose situation. If you lose everyone expected it. If you win, you earn some of that love that you are looking for and not receiving.

A combined 7 losses between 3 teams is a nice bracket.. You guys act like you guys the only ones with good teams... Albemarle having to play a 20-2 team in 3rd round.. That's tough

If Robbinsville's best player doesn't tear his acl Albemarle would've gotten all they wanted against the Black Knights in round 2

2 really good teams playing in the 3rd round, that's not a surprise. BUT 2 really good teams having to play in the 1st or 2nd round is tough. No one is showing much love for the SMC because they have not proven anything over the last few years. I've seen tape on Cherokee though, and I will say that you are no better than 5th in the Northwest 1A and 3rd at best in the Mountain Valley.

Originally posted by BravesGWY:
Wonder if rville will employ it's famous offense ?
Haven't seemed to do that as much this year, but it would be a nice playoff tribute to Dean Smith.

Albemarle played MA, Bishop, and Prep last year. I think all sides of this bracket are tough. With the Northwest being a deep conference this is what you get. On the girls side you will have Bishop as a 22 seed probably. Now you guys know what we were talking about with the Midwest being brutal. FYI don't sleep on North stanly or queens grant shoot even UA guys are well coached and not easy to get away from. North can get hot and make things interesting. They are not contenders but definitely will make things interesting.

They did it the whole fourth qtr against us when they beat us. Drove us nuts. Be tough for someone to defend

If their best player didn't tear his acl then they would not be a 17 seed, so exactly what is your point.

What exactly is your point about Albemarle playing MA Bishop and Prep last year. You played Prep in the regionals and sorry but MA and Bishop have different teams last year than this year. The point is that 4 of the best 7 teams along with Albemarle, MA, and Avery are in the same sectional in my opinion. You should be happy, your team should make it to Winston without being tested all year. You have to wonder though how well this route will have prepared you. Someone will come out of that bottom sectional having survived some serious tests, and whoever it is will know how to handle the pressure.

Albemarle will win the top sectional, Mt Airy will win the next sectional, Avery will win the next sectional, and your guess is as good as mine on the bottom sectional, but it will be fun no doubt. I will even stretch as far as to say that the West regional champion will come out of that bottom sectional, but if not they sure knocked out some good teams that others did not have to play.

Best of luck to everyone.

Originally posted by Alleghany84:
If their best player didn't tear his acl then they would not be a 17 seed, so exactly what is your point.
their conference position would be the same imo. They might've been one or two lines higher, really it doesn't change much as far as their seed goes, just makes them a much weaker opponent.

What exactly is your point about Albemarle playing MA Bishop and Prep last year. You played Prep in the regionals and sorry but MA and Bishop have different teams last year than this year. The point is that 4 of the best 7 teams along with Albemarle, MA, and Avery are in the same sectional in my opinion. You should be happy, your team should make it to Winston without being tested all year. You have to wonder though how well this route will have prepared you. Someone will come out of that bottom sectional having survived some serious tests, and whoever it is will know how to handle the pressure.

Albemarle will win the top sectional, Mt Airy will win the next sectional, Avery will win the next sectional, and your guess is as good as mine on the bottom sectional, but it will be fun no doubt. I will even stretch as far as to say that the West regional champion will come out of that bottom sectional, but if not they sure knocked out some good teams that others did not have to play.
What makes you so certain Avery is going to beat Hayesville? What makes you so certain Alleghany is better than them?

Looking at Alleghany they don't have a lot of marquee wins, they've beaten the teams they were supposed to beat but what top teams have they played and beat this season? Your non conference schedule is incredibly weak and your best wins are against Galax, a team no one would confuse with a top tier team.

Yes Hayesville has more losses than Alleghany but they also played a non conference schedule that's 100 times stronger than the one Alleghany played. I don't see anything on their resume that screams out to me that they're better than Hayesville.

Alleghany84 you have to be a coach or have some connection to your school. You spit out a lot of negatives toward others teams and conferences and act as if your school has built this mighty program. They are skirt-tailing off of a couple of big guys that have come through and made an impact. After they graduate this season, we will not hear anything from them for awhile. So please, get off your soapbox and stop acting like the world owes your team or any other team something. If your team was good enough to win the conference, then you would have an easier road (if you really think there is a such a thing). If you are good enough then your team will win but you better be ready to score more points than 50 that you are averaging. I say this year from top to bottom is going to be a true test of how good teams are. Cherokee, if they get past Cherryville, will give Albemarle all they want. Mt. Airy will get all they can handle from Lincoln Charter if both advance that far. But I'm sure East Montgomery will have something to say about that as well. But that's why we play the game. You never know how teenagers are going to respond. Bottom line every team is 0-0 from this point moving forward. But for you to get on here and bash other programs and teams for whatever reason is ridiculous. Good luck to EVERYONE including Alleghany.

You might have missed the part where I said in my opinion. I base a lot of my opinion on video that I saw of them being beaten by Cherokee. I also derive lots of my opinion on the fact that Hayesville lost to Cherryville last year and Alleghany beat them. Alleghany returned that team a year older and a year stronger. It is a little hard to form a real strong opinion because you guys in the corner of the state do not play teams that the rest of us know other than your conference opponents and the little smoky guys. If you know my posting history very well you will know that all you have to do is beat Avery and prove me wrong and I will publicly say just that. The beauty of a chat forum is that people are afforded the opportunity to state their opinion and be willing to listen to others. Your point about Alleghany beating the teams that we are supposed to is a good point. When you are better than the teams that you play you should win. Is it supposed to be a bad thing to beat the teams you are supposed to beat. I think it is pretty impressive that we play in a 1a/2a league and in your opinion we are supposed to win all those games. If it is a bad thing to win when you are supposed to what does it mean that Hayesville did not beat a very average Cherokee team. Good to see a murphy fan on here talking basketball by the way. You guys must get along a lot better up there than we do down here because you would never catch me on here defending a conference rival.

It is a little hard to form a real strong opinion because
you guys in the corner of the state do not play teams that the rest of
us know other than your conference opponents and the little smoky guys.

If it is a bad thing to win when you are supposed to what does it mean that Hayesville did not beat a very average Cherokee team.

Good to see a murphy fan on here talking basketball by the way. You guys must get along a lot better up there than we do down here because you would never catch me on here defending a conference rival.
As far as not knowing who Hayesville is played, maybe you should educate yourself then before declaring who the top teams in the 1A west are. Hayesville has played the likes of 4A Raleigh Broughton (22-2 and the 12th ranked team in North Carolina), 4A Gainesville Johnson (28-0 and the 30th ranked team in Georgia) this year in non conference and even managed to play Gainesville Johnson to a 10 point game. I can promise there's nobody in the 1A west that is going to show them anything they haven't already seen in non conference.

In what world is a 20 - 2 team that has multiple wins over 2A and 3A playoff teams "very average"? I'm afraid you're quite wrong on Cherokee being average, they're a good basketball team with lots of speed and athleticism in the backcourt and on the wing and would put up a good fight against anyone in 1A on a good night. Cherokee's wins over East Rutherford, AC Reynolds and Hayesville are better than any win Alleghany has this season according to Maxpreps.

SMC conference foes don't like each other but we do respect one another. I'm just sick of some people on here who really know nothing about the conference or the competition they have or haven't played get on here and act like it's going to be a walk in the park when their teams plays a Hayesville or a Cherokee when that's far from the truth.

This post was edited on 2/21 8:48 PM by mbdfan

Originally posted by mbdfan:
As far as not knowing who Hayesville is played, maybe you should educate yourself then before declaring who the top teams in the 1A west are. Hayesville has played the likes of 4A Raleigh Broughton (22-2 and the 12th ranked team in North Carolina), 4A Gainesville Johnson (28-0 and the 30th ranked team in Georgia) this year in non conference and even managed to play Gainesville Johnson to a 10 point game. I can promise there's nobody in the 1A west that is going to show them anything they haven't already seen in non conference.

In what world is a 20 - 2 team that has multiple wins over 2A and 3A playoff teams "very average"? I'm afraid you're quite wrong on Cherokee being average, they're a good basketball team with lots of speed and athleticism in the backcourt and on the wing and would put up a good fight against anyone in 1A on a good night. Cherokee's wins over East Rutherford, AC Reynolds and Hayesville are better than any win Alleghany has this season according to Maxpreps.

SMC conference foes don't like each other but we do respect one another. I'm just sick of some people on here who really know nothing about the conference or the competition they have or haven't played get on here and completely write them off like it's going to be a walk in the park when their teams plays a Hayesville or Cherokee, etc.

This post was edited on 2/21 8:43 PM by mbdfan
Amen. Preach it brother!!!

I am sorry that I do not show the same love of your conference that you do. And I am equally sorry that I expect Avery to beat you. If Hayesville or Cherokee or Robbinsville makes the regionals, come on here and look, I will try my dead level best to be the first to congratulate them, because I pull for all small boundary schools. However, I cannot change the way I feel until shown differently.

Sorry that you find my opinions offensive, but they are what they are. I am just a fan of the Alleghany Trojans and an even bigger fan of high school basketball. I failed to realize that people are only allowed to voice opinions that everyone else agrees with. I pull for all traditional boundary schools to do well, it just so happens that I think some have a better chance than others. It is impossible to have opinions without thinking that some teams are better than others. By the way, who do you pull for? So I will be able to pass along appropriate congratulations or condolences. I am serious I do not know of another green Trojan team. This is intended for Trojan Green
This post was edited on 2/21 9:05 PM by Alleghany84

Well here is my 2 cents.

Albemarle will easily make it to regionals unless robbinsville milks clock on them. Bulldog fan stop tryin to build up north stanly queens grant and union academy u are not foolin anyone yall havent played a legit team this season and u know it.

Mount airy should coast to regionals lincoln charter wont beat them.

I actually have to go against my counterpart on this one i think avery will lose to hayesville. avery is in a pathetic conference and i think hayesville is really comin on strong here at the end of the season. i think hayesville could win it all id say they r better than albemarle. Whoever said watch out for bessemer city...please lets be real. Avery did lose to ashe county this year so who knows. Avery was good last year but they held us alleghany to a 1 point 1st qtr last year and we still almost one.

Last bracket i actually think it will come down to wsp vs. East surry. I hope im wrong bout alleghany but dont think we will beat wsp. Bishop we should beat they were losing goin into 4th qtr 2 weeks ago against lowly north stokes. I see east surry winnin this bracket dont thnk alleghany will benefit from players bein suspended like we did last yr vs cherryville.

Who is trojangreens team he has ignored this? before i bet he doesnt answer again

West Montgomery is horrible... You might not like folks saying that but truth is truth.... Conference is weak.... You played no one that possess a threat other possibly Albermale... Sorry no disrespect.... Don't have a chance...

Who said west mont guys were good? I am telling you NS can get really hot and they have a couple of good shooters plus meisenheimer who is a pretty good player as well. Union academy is really well coached and they have some talent. I'm not saying either of those teams will win but don't sleep on them either. Queens grant is still a descent team just weakened without the 6'8 kid but can be dangerous.

I would fear NS because of their shooting and UA because they have some descent players and the coach is doing a good job there.

The bottom sectionals in the east and west are laded.
In the east,whiteville-James Kenan-Maneto-Voyager.
In the west,Prep-Alleghany-East Surry-Starmount.
There are some very good teams gone before the regionals!

lol at a person from alleghany saying anything about living in a corner of the state...... lord there is nothing around that place.....I will agree that I think Avery is pretty good but not elite....

top sectional is Albemarle's to lose....MA must get good guard play from here on to advance.....that bottom one is a battle each night but it's Preps til they lose....I take Hayesville in the middle sectional

I smell some 4 corners brewing for the bulldogs in round 2. Think it could do the trick? There will be very little, if any, time to prepare after round 1. Or is their ticket already punched to Winston?

This post was edited on 2/26 9:31 PM by bballerfanatic7

Kw wrote:
"Albemarle will easily make it to regionals unless robbinsville milks clock on them. Bulldog fan stop tryin to build up north stanly queens grant and union academy u are not foolin anyone yall havent played a legit team this season and u know it."

North stanly 59 River Mill 57

I told you about North Stanly. It was a honest evaluation. NS can shoot the ball, of course I do not think they will win it but they are dangerous in the sense of being able to win a game.

In this thread, I made an error. I said that the bottom sectional was the worst draw that I can ever remember. In that regard I still believe I was right. I also said that Avery and Albemarle would win their sectionals. In that regard I was also right. However, I said that Mt Airy would win the other sectional and I was wrong. Apparently I underestimated Lincoln Charter. I am not capable of congratulating a non traditional so that is not my intent. However, I will say that I was wrong and that Lincoln Charter must have been a better team than I gave them credit for.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT