ADVERTISEMENT

Piedmont Triad 4A Conference

Warhead1

Sep 8, 2009
The Season is just around the corner and I want to know what people think about this Conference. If I'm not mistaken this is how it ended last year.

East Forsyth
NW Guilford
HP Central
Ragsdale
Glenn
SW Guilford

What's your thoughts on each of these teams? Let me know your preseason rankings and players to look out for. What all does each team have coming back? I think this is a very underrated conference but year in and year out this is one of the most competitive conferences out there. Almost all of the teams are evenly matched and could beat one another on any given Friday. It seems every year there is a tie for the conference crown or every year one of the bottom 2 teams upset one of the top 2 teams. I think 4 of the last 6 have ended in either a two way or three way tie for 1st.

East Forysth will win it, but it won't matter as they'll be embarrassed as usual by a Charlotte team.
My dark horse: Ragsdale
Yeah, Can we keep it to talking about this conference and not about this or that Charlotte team that's going to embarrass them? There is a lot of quality football being played in the Triad area and every time someone says anything about it on this board they get bashed by a couple random Charlotte supporters. Yes Mallard Creek will probably win the title and there are about 20 different threads about them and other Charlotte schools on here where you can talk about how great they are.

Last edited:
How is Nw looking?
I haven't been out to see them this summer but from what I'm hearing they're looking really good on offense. NW has Thomas Hennigan at receiver and he's one of the best in the area. I think they will be a lot better on Offense this year just from being in the spread for a full season and full off-season. I think the real question about NW this year is how will they be on the O and D lines and how will the defense look with the 3rd DC in 3 years. They went from a 3-4 with Coach Woodruff in 2013 where they finished 12-2 to a 4-2-5 with Coach McComb as the coordinator where they finished 8-4. I know they got a new DC again this year from Coach Rolfes staff back in Ohio but I don't know if they will be a 4-3 team or a 4-2-5 again this year. So, at the end of the day I think NW will be able to score points with most teams they play but the defense has a huge question mark on it. I also heard that they lost several defensive assistant coaches too this past off-season so that is going to be a challenge as well.

Hennigan is going to be really good. Has to be one of the best wide outs in the area him and that kid from Page.

Reactions: Warhead1
Hennigan is going to be really good. Has to be one of the best wide outs in the area him and that kid from Page.
I agree, I spoke with an assistant coach awhile back and they said the same thing. They said that Hennigan had put on about 15 pounds of muscle this off-season. He had over 100 catches last year as a 10th grader. He could be one of the best receivers to ever come out of that school.

Yeah, Can we keep it to talking about this conference and not about this or that Charlotte team that's going to embarrass them? There is a lot of quality football being played in the Triad area and every time someone says anything about it on this board they get bashed by a couple random Charlotte supporters. Yes Mallard Creek will probably win the title and there are about 20 different threads about them and other Charlotte schools on here where you can talk about how great they are.

CC14 made a great point. Providence, which was probably the 6th or 7th best team in Mecklenburg County, defeated EF last year. The Triad teams would be best served if they could schedule some non-conference opponents from the Mecklenburg area. EF has the talent to compete with these teams.

I'm going with Ragsdale and EF. EF has the best talent and Ragsdale has the best coaching.

CC14 made a great point. Providence, which was probably the 6th or 7th best team in Mecklenburg County, defeated EF last year. The Triad teams would be best served if they could schedule some non-conference opponents from the Mecklenburg area. EF has the talent to compete with these teams.

I'm going with Ragsdale and EF. EF has the best talent and Ragsdale has the best coaching.
Me a troll. Really Waltrip?

I personally think NW Guilford can very well win this conference too.
How is HP Central looking? When they came to Keffer they had a few young play makers from what I saw.

Reactions: lalabreeze
I think East Forsyth, NWG, HPC are still the front runners going into the season, all things considered I would probably say that NW Guilford is the favorite based on what they are bringing back.

But it's going to be a competitive conference race again. Both East Forsyth and HPC have huge holes that they are replacing at Qb with the loss of studs Karson Sharp and Jamiel Mack. But both programs are loaded with talented players and if they can find an answer at Qb they will be tough as ever.

NW Guilford should have a good defense again, they are solid at QB position and they one of the best playmakers in conference with (Jr) Thomas Hennigan at receiver.

My darkhorse team would be SW Guilford, they have a talented group returning if they can put it together, they may surprise a few people this season.

Players to watch out for:

East Forsyth:
(Jr) RB - Christian Beal, 1269 rushing yards as sophomore.
(Sr) WR - Nique Martin, 47 catches for 1022 yards and 13 Tds.
(Sr) LB - Chrison Springs

NW Guilford:
(Jr) QB - Jake Smith
(Jr) WR - Thomas Hennigan, 100 catches for 1148 yards 11 Tds.

HP Central:
(Jr) RB - Chavis Little, 1585 rushing yards as sophomore
(Sr) RB/WR - Geoffrey Wall, 400 yards rushing, 400 yards receiving, 4.3 speed.
(Jr) DE/OT - JaQuane Nelson
(Sr) OG/NG - Damian Hairston, 3 year starter.

SW Guilford:
(Sr) WR-Jeremiah Brown, 46 catches for 829 yards 10 Tds.

Glenn:
(Sr) RB - Darius Miller

Alot less familiar with Ragsdale's roster so maybe someone else can chime in about the Tigers this season.

Reactions: lalabreeze
I personally think NW Guilford can very well win this conference too.
How is HP Central looking? When they came to Keffer they had a few young play makers from what I saw.

NWG doesn't have the talent to match with EF, but their coaching can make the difference. You won't see many blown leads from NWG.

I notice when mentioning Teams out of Triad. Very seldom to they mention the bigs. Who has the top OL & DL returning?

NWG doesn't have the talent to match with EF, but their coaching can make the difference. You won't see many blown leads from NWG.
NW had a few transfers that will fill huge holes. One is Zach Welch he is a senior RB/LB who transferred from Reidsville. They also had a big LB who moved in from Texas I think his last name is Stone.? who coaches say will be one of the best players on the field. NW also has a couple other receivers that will be on everyone's radar by the end of the year.

When talking about East Forsyth don't forget to mention Madison Cone. He is probably one of the best Corners in the area and already holds several D-1 offers as a rising Jr.

I on the other hand really feel as if NW does have the talent to match with East Forsyth. NW rolled EF 2 years ago and lost in the same fashion to East last year.

I also agree with HP Teams this conference is a 3 horse race between EF, NW, and HPC. The one team to watch out for is not Ragsdale I think the team who could come flying under the radar this year is SW Guilford. Their JV team went undefeated last year and they have a few studs coming up. I think as always the biggest question mark with SW is can they stop anyone on defense.

I notice when mentioning Teams out of Triad. Very seldom to they mention the bigs. Who has the top OL & DL returning?

The teams who have had the top linemen in the Triad are the teams who have won the most the past few seasons. EF, HPC, NWG.

When Ragsdale was dominant some years ago they were putting out teams with some dominant defensive and offensive lines, not so much lately.. Fundamentals of football is football no matter where it's played.

East Forsyth always seem to have decent size in the trenches, NW Guilford my not be the biggest but they are fundamentally sound, HPC has had good size along the offensive line as well.

I think defensively the Bison will be better they were really young in the front 7 last season and it showed but they have some good size returning especially the two I mentioned in the other post OG/NL Damien Hairston and OT/DE JaQuane Nelson are the two to watch out for the Bison on both sides of the ball.

We will find out what East Forsyth has August 23rd vs The CPC's Mt. Tabor HS. One of the better games in the State. East RB is so good! Tabor's WR Divine is wanted by everybody.

We will find out what East Forsyth has August 23rd vs The CPC's Mt. Tabor HS. One of the better games in the State. East RB is so good! Tabor's WR Divine is wanted by everybody.

I agree, that is a heck of a week one match up for both teams. There will really be a lot of talented players on the field in that one. From what I read on a CPC thread it seems as though Mt Tabor will be challenging for the top of the CPC this year. I think that game is a toss up and either one of them could take it. I also agree that this is one of the top games in the State week 1.

How about Glenn? Does anyone know how they will look with the new HC? Also, not much talk about Ragsdale on here. Does anyone know what the Tigers will look like this year?

I saw Glenn once last year (against NWG) and noticed they had three promising freshman. I remember really being especially enamored with one of them.....RB Braxton Rorie. That kid's got some seriously nice potential. If Glenn has anything to go with these three, they could be a bit interesting.

After the first full week of practice what do you guys thinks about your teams and who do you think will win conference ?

I have seen Central practice and boy they are very fast again. The Qb is running the system very well .I think its gonna be a tough conference.

To earlier in the thread when someone asked who was East Forsyth QB's.

There starter is senior Noah Smith who basically shadowed Karson Sharpe the last two season.

Noah is a great passing QB but not as good at running the ball which brings in the 2nd string QB

Forsyth County Days QB "DD" who transferred who is very good running the football.

East Forsyth is stacked at ever position but OLine. They have had a lot of trouble either the East Dline is really good or the east o line is bad.

I think statistically Northwest is the best team as one unit.

But for my personal opinion East Defense will shut down or slow a lot of teams and allow east to win a lot of games. Like they did to Reagen and NWG and HPC.

Southwest will be the sleeper that surprises everyone. The young JV team of mainly all freshman won the Confrence last year with the help of there 6'5 QB who literally ran straight threw every teams D-line for 20 yards a play.

South west may not win the Confrence this year but they certainly won't be last place if those freshman moved up and have gotten even better

Every year SW Guilford is supposed to step up.

Every year.

Every year they get smoked.

Maybe this will finally be the year they do something. I know they had the great JV success last year but that doesn't always mean that much.

I'm a Ragsdale guy. I have no idea how good they will be this year. Same great coaching staff (minus Derek Anderson who is now the AD at Andrews). I think the defense will be the strength of the team. The few times I have seen the team on the practice field it looked like they had some decent size. Hopefully that will mean better line play. Norwood always has good O-Line play but they have been undersized the last few years, which has hurt the running game. If he can add some size to that discipline and technique they should run the ball much better this year.

But I have no idea who will throw or catch the ball. Most of the QBs and WRs graduated and the JV team struggled too.

But Norwood always finds a way to be competitive. It would be nice to see the Tigers return to form they had a few years back. Such a tough conference to play in.

Every year SW Guilford is supposed to step up.

Every year.

Every year they get smoked.

Maybe this will finally be the year they do something. I know they had the great JV success last year but that doesn't always mean that much.

I'm a Ragsdale guy. I have no idea how good they will be this year. Same great coaching staff (minus Derek Anderson who is now the AD at Andrews). I think the defense will be the strength of the team. The few times I have seen the team on the practice field it looked like they had some decent size. Hopefully that will mean better line play. Norwood always has good O-Line play but they have been undersized the last few years, which has hurt the running game. If he can add some size to that discipline and technique they should run the ball much better this year.

But I have no idea who will throw or catch the ball. Most of the QBs and WRs graduated and the JV team struggled too.

But Norwood always finds a way to be competitive. It would be nice to see the Tigers return to form they had a few years back. Such a tough conference to play in.

How'd that work out for you... Looks like Ragsdale struggled a little huh?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT