ADVERTISEMENT

Northwest 1A in 2015

bareman

Jun 23, 2001
almost time to kick it off again....based on whats coming back it looks to be a battle b/t East Surry and Walkertown (new coach) for the top spot....ES lost both POY but return enough to be considered the top pick....Walkertown returns some very good skill players and this could be the year that puts them over the top....Bears graduated all their skill players on "O" and will be young, very young on that side..."D" will have to play huge in early part of season until young players come along....very good size on both lines...kicking game in good shape.....Atkins (new coach), Bishop and North Stokes will be very young all around but the big "?" is what kind os team WS Prep will field....could end up with some very good players from what I'm hearing.....was told home games will be played at Atkins (when they are away).....7 more Fridays....can't wait!!

East Surry lost a good bit of talent to graduation, and the death of rising senior Gage Edwards. East will have a good quarterback and a very good receiver, but they will struggle outside of those 2 on offense unless someone surprising comes around. They had a very good running back on JV who had great speed and moves, but Diamont will not be able to run him up the middle and be successful. The defense should be good enough to keep them in games as it has the last few years, the offense has often been the problem due to stubbornness of the play calling. Walkertown should be the team to beat this year, Mount Airy will not be far behind. Those 3 teams will be way ahead of everyone else in the Northwest. Is this the year WS Prep plays a varsity schedule?

yep everyone plays WSPA this year....

Hey Bareman. What are the numbers at mount airy looking like this summer? I hear they have been really low. Any word? Hope this isn't the case. Gonna have some good young players, but gonna need more than just them. Looking forward to the season

I'm hearing Walkertown will lose a few players do to the coaching change, but with close to 800 students they still have a large pool to pick from.

Bears numbers have been small as usual but the ones they've counted on have been there ....will try to get you a count....as for those Winston schools you see some on this team this year, on another the next.....just like everyone says would and does happen

Well glad to see you guys back on here, been a while.

East and Bishop were at North Surry's 7 on 7 back on June 23rd. Didn't see much of East since they played on our bottom field but I seen some of them and we played Bishop first. East struggled the whole night only winning once over NE Guilford I believe. From what I heard they were missing players due to a basketball camp s that's probably why. They did have decent #'s there though.

Bishop finished 3rd. They got better as the night went along. We beat them quite easily in the opener (it was a shutout I believe they may have scored once I can't remember.) They got better as the night went along and surprised everyone. Beat Forbush quite easily and NE Guilford and had a chance to tie West Stokes near the end but blew it. They beat McMichael for 3rd place. They run the spread still as last year and had those navy style helmets again. QB wasn't that big but was very stocky in a linebacker mold.

As for the conference as a whole who knows.

MA I don't now jack crap about . I'll see them July 31st I reckon.

Walkertown's going to be completely different since Springston took off but I think that move could help them. Get them out of the offenses he ran and get them better on defense and everywhere else. They are the team to watch in my eyes.

Atkins has that new coach and I'm sure #'s will be up but they are still iffy. Running a complicated offense at a magnet school. It'll be interesting. They lost that good kid that played LB and that kid that transferred from Guilford county at RB. Their schedule isn't as easy as it has been. They have North Forsyth and Glenn as well as Us and West Wilkes.

North Stokes I have a good feeling about. They may cap their misery index this year and get that win finally. Their schedule is a lot easier with South Davidson, Patrick County, and East Wilkes added so they have a good shot to at least get one out of those 3. They infamously dropped West Stokes which angered those in King.

Prep's the ultimate mystery, I have no clue about them besides their schedule. They open with Mt Tabor and Parkland before two private schools before starting conference play. There is 22 players listed on Max Preps fr them.

MA will host 8 team 7/7 this Friday (31st) starting at 5:30....MA...ES....SC....NS....Davidson Day...Davie Co....Forbush and ???

The one thing in the NW that stands out to me is Walkertown's non-conference schedule. Really?? 2014: Kestral Heights, S Davidson, WS Prep, West Wilkes, and Community School of Davidson (all Prep and 1A programs). 2015: Rockingham County, West Forsyth, RJ Reynolds, Parkland, West Stokes ( 3A and 4A programs except for West Stokes a powerful 2A program and West Forsyth a very good 4A program if not a power house). Here are my scenarios for the reasons of this schedule:

1) Walkertown is LOADED this year and expected to compete well with those programs per the scheduling.
2) Walkertown wanting to just get in the mix of Forsyth County football wanting to play the same programs they competed against in Little League regardless of the outcome.

Here are 2 scenarios that I think the NW Conference should expect:

1) A LOADED, battle tested, very athletic team that will roll through the conference..
2) A 1A program that over scheduled but very battle tested and hopefully not depleted by injuries.

For the record Walkertown had 2 of their better players leave for greener pastures over the last few weeks....

The one thing in the NW that stands out to me is Walkertown's non-conference schedule. Really?? 2014: Kestral Heights, S Davidson, WS Prep, West Wilkes, and Community School of Davidson (all Prep and 1A programs). 2015: Rockingham County, West Forsyth, RJ Reynolds, Parkland, West Stokes ( 3A and 4A programs except for West Stokes a powerful 2A program and West Forsyth a very good 4A program if not a power house). Here are my scenarios for the reasons of this schedule:

1) Walkertown is LOADED this year and expected to compete well with those programs per the scheduling.
2) Walkertown wanting to just get in the mix of Forsyth County football wanting to play the same programs they competed against in Little League regardless of the outcome.

Here are 2 scenarios that I think the NW Conference should expect:

1) A LOADED, battle tested, very athletic team that will roll through the conference..
2) A 1A program that over scheduled but very battle tested and hopefully not depleted by injuries.
Walkertown not so much looking to step up competition by scheduling WF, but more so looking for a big paycheck. Going to WF to play will probably pay them more than any home game will and no expenses. Remember WS/FCS have to split gate with all in county teams

Reactions: Slasher Killer
Walkertown not so much looking to step up competition by scheduling WF, but more so looking for a big paycheck. Going to WF to play will probably pay them more than any home game will and no expenses. Remember WS/FCS have to split gate with all in county teams

Prep is doing this too. They're playing against Tabor and Parkland in non-conference games (both 4A).

I can understand those in King being upset, when you have roughly two and half times as many kids to pool from, it makes for a fair contest year in and year out.

I can understand those in King being upset, when you have roughly two and half times as many kids to pool from, it makes for a fair contest year in and year out.
I sense your sarcasm viking06. That "King crowd" doesn't seem to schedule many schools their size! They play down every game in terms of enrollment.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT