ADVERTISEMENT

NCHSAA Officials Candid comments

PirateDad17

Sep 10, 2006
While myself and my best friend were waiting for my now State Champion Mariners to take the court on Saturday , we had the pleasure of talking to a couple of guys who were in town for the games and who introduced themselves as H.S. Basketball Officials . It was my thought that they were there to observe the officiating crew although they didn't really say that . They left after the WS Prep/Riverside girls game and we were all in agreement that it was an obvious mismatch , skewed by the open enrollment in Forsyth and unfair to Riverside . I tried to get them to stay to watch the boys game but they had to attend another game and honestly I think they were expecting the same thing in the boys game .
I found several interesting and very telling admissions about their candid comments to me. One man said the officials also discuss the WS Prep / Forsyth County advantage of open enrollment and all agree it exists, but when asked how do we go about fixing it , just shrugged his shoulders and said " it is what it is " .
One guy told me he was originally from New York City and that there teams who are allowed special considerations like the charter magnet does here are required to play up two divisions . A team could schedule however they want for out of conference games but for conference affiliation and city and state playoffs ( New York City apparently has their own affiliation) if they want to play against public H.S.'s they are required to play up two divisions.
We also asked about the star recruit phenomenon we have witnessed so many times in our conference with Bam Bam Adebayou . We asked if the Refs are conscious of the star recruits and are they likely to look off a foul on a guy like that and he admitted that the Refs are conscious of that star recruit and that they will discuss a player like that's fouls and the impact it makes on that star if they foul out . He said Refs often try to keep the number of fouls even . He also said Officials of various regions instruct their Refs to emphasize calling certain fouls and look off others . I felt the Refs in the championship game, after calling a charge on our PG on our first offensive possession , looked off several charges and called blocks on some that I thought were obvious charges. They allowed a lot of pushing from Prep and even though the fouls were skewed in the second half in our favor Prep stayed in the game by holding us . The Ref finally called it in the last minute after letting it go the whole game . The biggest revelation that I took from our conversation was the fact that Refs tend to give the benefit of the doubt to the star recruit and that officials discuss the Forsyth County situation but shrug their shoulders instead of fixing the problem.

Were they officials as in referees? If so, they are not NCHSAA administrators nor board members. Based on this they have no involvement with the decisions made by the the NCHSAA. There was one person at the WSP games there to observe the officiating crews, the administrator over the officials for all sports, who was a basketball coach and referee himself. I spoke to him a couple of times.

In the regional finals a McDonald's AA got three fouls early in the game after hitting for 39 the night before. The top 4A team in the east saw their best player saddled with three in the first quarter. In the 2A boys a 20/10 player got his third in the second quarter. He was one of the best known players playing but not for his basketball ability.

The "officials" of various regions would be the booking agents which are a non affiliated third party to the NCHSAA. I agree with your thoughts on the way the WSP v EC game was called but I saw WSP play their last three games and that was the way all three of them were called. Albemarle's sectional games were called tight but when they got to the regionals it much looser. The refs were calling it like a college game.

Do not even attempt to compare NY high school basketball to NC. Private schools are very strong and the ability to attend various schools regardless of residency makes it a different ball game.

Could be wrong but I don't think NCHSAA will do anything about the WSP situation until they start dominating football like they are in basketball. When that happens I think the hs coaches will raise enough cain that they will be forced to fix the problem. JMO.

: NCHSAA is like our Politicians , their only there for the pay check not to do there jobs ! !

This post was edited on 3/16 2:28 PM by photo0001

1A girls game. Hand check, hand check, hand check. Get your hands off the dribble. WSP was allowed to take Riverside out of there offense.

Every year people complain about Forsyth County. How many State Champions come from Forsyth County every year.

The complaint on Forsyth is the 1A schools. 4A live um up. A public school should not okay 1A if it has no district and is not an elite academic institution with strong admissions requirements.

The playing up in NY reference...those schools have no transfer rules. Just like the states that use a mulitplier, those mostly schools have no transfer rules. Eliminate the transfer rule and move them up like other states, I imagine those schools would take the trade off of moving up and eliminating the transfer rule.

Originally posted by Dosso:
The playing up in NY reference...those schools have no transfer rules. Just like the states that use a mulitplier, those mostly schools have no transfer rules. Eliminate the transfer rule and move them up like other states, I imagine those schools would take the trade off of moving up and eliminating the transfer rule.
It was just what the guy said about New York , I don't know if its right or not . I also never said the guys were administrators but they are definitely insiders , one said he refereed division 1 girls , JUCO and high school all in the same year , all with different rules . They know the administrators just like certain posters here know them and all agreed 1A schools are at a distinct disadvantage against Prep and the likes .
Our team finished off a miracle run and it will take years ,if ever, to repeat that miracle. I still feel we owe it to other teams in 1 A to make the court level for everyone , not just the teams with super star recruits or allow teams from one county to bend the rules that others all abide by .

This post was edited on 3/16 8:14 PM by PirateDad17

This post was edited on 3/16 6:16 PM by PirateDad17

btango I have to agree with you "A public school should not okay 1A if it has no district and is not an elite academic institution with strong admissions requirements."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT