ADVERTISEMENT

mvac

Illuminati704

Apr 5, 2013
What's it looking like this year?? Who are the favorites? Best returning players? Haven't heard much at all with the knowledgeable posters.

I'll take a stab at it and hope I'm wrong concerning my team.

1. Starmount
2. Ashe
3. East Wilkes
4. Alleghany
5. West Wilkes
6. Wilkes Central
7. Elkin
8. North Wilkes

My guess is as good as anyone's and going off the minimal amount of information I have surrounding the conference, it might sound ridiculous. I saw a few of the teams play last season.

1. Starmount
2. Ashe
3. Central
4. East
5. Alleghany
6. West
7. Elkin
8. North

I know Ashe and Starmount lose a lot but they always seem prepared. Central had a ton of young talent last season but loose a pretty good RB. East returns a lot from what I gather and could be considered a contender. West I'm not completely sure on. Alleghany has some outstanding talent coming up but it will take some time to develop. Elkin lost the majority of their team and you can't realistically expect such a small school to reload and contend. North is North. No offense intended.

North Wilkes did go 6-3-1 on JV last year, with a 5-2 conference record. Also, they had 10-15 sophomores on varsity. I'm not saying they will be great. But I do believe they will be better than the typical North Wilkes team.

I believe East will be decent this year, but this is a big year for them. Adkins has been there long enough to turn things around and this is the year to do it.

Alleghany will be a player, maybe not this year, but in the coming years they will be a force in this conference.

Yes Alleghany has enforcements on the way, but there appears to be a drought behind that of at least a year or two.

A report from East Wilkes.
Varsity has 18 seniors and around 38 players. This is the first senior class to only play all four years under the current coaching staff.

JV has around 46 players.

38 & 46 are great numbers for East.

According to reports the two teams combined had around 60 players to participate in summer workouts. Team seems to be in good shape.

Now the question, will it translate to wins on Friday night.

Ill-704 here's my summary of that scrimmage:

It was us, Wilkes Central, Bunker Hill and West Wilkes. Originally it was going to be BH, WC, and us and were going to have the JV's play but West had no one return to their scrimmage which was sad so they came to WC and they dropped the JV slate. So instead there was for the first hour or so two games on each side of WC's field and then game situations. They lasted 10 min a quarter but were rather weird. They didn't stop the clock instead letting it run like in a mercy rule situation. Wasn't the best set up imo but everyone dealt with it. We got hot dogs at the end which was rather nice of them to do.

Anyways here's what I thought:

-We opened both times with West Wilkes. They weren't as solid as I figured they would be. First off they changed their offense. They ran the Pistol instead of the spread they ran the last two years. Their O-lines huge but their skill guys aren't and weren't as good as the JV ones looked last year. I don't know if they are still on JV or didn't come out but they weren't as solid as I figured they would be.

Neither of us scored both times we played but our D stopped their O pretty well when they did pistol stuff besides an occasional option play. The first series we were all over them and sacked them several times and caused a fumble. Our O started off slow it was due to slugushness than their D but we had our moments. In game situation they had the ball a while due to their type of O but we picked them off twice (one called back by refs on a silly call, other legit.) And we did better on O just ran out of time.

West would be better in the I offense running it a ton. They used it every once in a while in the game situation and did best in it. Their passing game isn't there this year. I see them being better next year but this year it's iffy. I hope I'm wrong here.

Central is still pretty young overall but I thought they looked better than last year. Lineman were better and much bigger. The skill guys were tiny but they have some speed. Like West I think they will be better in a year or two, still a young team. They can't pass as much without James there and without that RB from the last two year it feels weird but the new one's as good. QB looked decent. They were still in the spread though. Their D needs work and will be what makes or breaks them. We won both time vs them, 2-1 in the half field scrimmage and 1-0 in the game situation.

They will be young again but have a year more of experience so that's a +.

As for Bunker Hill they were fun as hell to watch. No size at all on the line hence their record but they were fun. Ran hard and hit well. If they had West's lineman they could be awesome.

As for the league as a whole it's still early. Ashe is the main ?, I will see them fully Friday. Starmount will be Starmount unless something crazy happens. East Wilkes could be good but they got to get going early and not talk for once. North Wilkes I see winning a game but they may have another year or so. That Sophomore RB they have is potentially really good. He needs a team around him though. Elkin is another ? mark as is Alleghany. It potentially could be a competitive year in the MVAC

I have heard North has some good numbers out and that they are moving to the WingT.

Good choice for them. Their JV's were competitive last year so I see them maybe improving at some point. Not this year but maybe next. That Boles kid was impressive for being a Freshman. If he has guys around him he could do things.

What is up with Starmount? On WIFM, Joel stated they only have 8 seniors and 7 juniors on the team, the rest is made up of underclassmen. Why are the players not playing? You would think after that great run last year excitement would be high in Boonville.

Same question with the Elks, although they are use to playing with few in number.

Right now it looks like Central and East are the tops in the conference with Starmount and Ashe right there. East has played the weakest schedule of those 4 teams.

Definitely going to be interesting. East has played some weak competition but they're blowing these teams out which indicated to me their a good team. The Wilkes Central west iredell score is closer than it appears after reading the journal patriot. That RB central has I've heard is the real deal. Seems like they have a great running back every year. Starmount will get better. They will improve tremendously by the time conference comes around and will play a factor. East Surry is just a really really good team this year. Ashe will get better as well. That offense is hard for anyone to stop. Elkin, NW, West, and Alleghany don't look impressive. I think of the before mentioned teams can win the title with no clear favorite right now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT