ADVERTISEMENT

LIVE UPDATES from Winston-Salem

Deana_King

Staff
May 31, 2001
Please join us today/tonight as we will have live updates from the 1A West Boys and 2A West Girls today as well as updates from the other locations as well.

Live Updates

I wonder how avery will do against that Forsyth county all star team. (Or small collage team) that should be playing up instead of 1a How many of those players are going to play collage ?

Another moron climbs out of his hole.

This post was edited on 3/5 7:48 PM by 3daughters

How many 1a schools have, 2 6 ft 7 guys. Hell not many 4 a schools have them . I guess everyone else needs to start there own prep schools.. Catawba county Preps sounds like a good start. and throw lin.also

and you think this is a fair fight. Prep against all the small public schools , when there playing the best players that didn't want to go to there highs schools in there distract from, What kind of challenge is this beating up an all these schools that usually don't even have 1 player going to college . I Guess this shows how good prep is play the bigger schools then brag about beating someone.LOL

Avery and a few others could win the state . If prep had not come along. But you cant beat them prep schools that have no boundries

Winston Salem prep .. sounds prep to me and we no that players go there to show case there talents for college..How many of those players live inside there boundries I bet sime should be going to Reagan , Mt Tabor, East Forsyth, and so on..

I will say this, WS prep playing in the 1As only hurts there players trying to get into college or the ones going to college. When you play smaller teams all year you look great. Then when you do go to College you get schooled by players that played in the bigger schools. They should be playing at least 3A schools then see what the Colleges think of there players then.

How much money did it coast you 3daughters to send your kids to private school?. Well my 2 kids went to public school and both went to college on made all As and got there Masters one From NC State . The other at UNC . No Private or prep school need . and My daughter missed scoring a perfect score on her sat by only 20 points. I could have killed her for not going to Duke. So much for private schools. Bishop WHO.

It will only get worse Mike. It got so bad in TN with the 1a private schools winning the state championships the TSSAA had to come up with 1.8 multiplier rule.

3daughters,

Normally I agree with most of the things you say but to defend WSP and suggest the way they conduct buisness combined with the fact they play in 1A is fair is absurd. I have nothing against the kids but it is unfortunate that a school can recruit - and they do in fact recruit - and be allowed to play in the 1A level. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but the personal attacks can be avoided.

They Have no Balls in Raleigh Money is running the show. I think all the 1A schools should Have there own playoff system and leave The NCHSAA out until something is done. I don't even think the 2As want them

There are no prep schools in the NCHSAA. There are only 3 non public schools in the NCHSAA being the 3 parochial schools. No Bishop fan on this site has EVER said there is a level playing field for the last decade I've been on this site.

When There shirts says WS-Prep Academy wright on the front we all no that there kids come from other schools in forsyth county not just 1 Area. I know my son went to MT Tabor, You don't get to be a loaded every year and be a 1A school with out getting players from other schools in the county..

Enough with the lame defense of the prep schools. Most 1A schools are in rural areas where they are the only school in the district. So for those schools, they simply choose their basketball team from the kids that live in their district... a district with a very limited small population. That is what makes them 1A. It is beneath the intelligence of any reasonable human being to try to explain how a school that can draw kids from a very populated metropolitan area could be considered to be on a "level playing field" with traditional 1A schools. Any argument that WS Prep or any school like it playing 1A is fair, is beyond laughable. People say they don't recruit. Really? They can choose from thousands of kids who grow up in youth leagues in the area. Traditional schools pick from their local rec leagues. Who could possibly try to sell this argument and expect folks to simply sit there and take it. Plain and simple, it just is not fair for any charter school like that to play for a 1A championship. Accept the fact that you are the bully on the playground and quit trying to justify it as fair. It is like saying that Duke has less students than Appalachian State, so a game between them is a fair fight. No it is not. Duke can pick whomever they want from all over the country. Appalachian takes what it can get. There is a reason states have classifications for athletics. The intention is to separate schools according to how may kid they have to chose from for their teams. In 2015 and under the current situation where systems like Forsyth allow their students to go to school wherever they want, the system is broken. It does not make any sense to go by the number of students in the school. We have the technology to solve almost any problem, but for some reason we can't solve the obvious here. Please somebody who knows somebody with influence do something. Our kids deserve better. Everyone deserves a fair chance.

Traditional Schools like Avery and Hiwassee Dam along with others are to be commended for their accomplishment. Not so much the Magnet and Private Schools.

Hiwassee Dam is located in Cherokee County NC . The COUNTY has a population of around 28,000. According to the NCHSAA ADM numbers, there are 952 (9th thru 12thgrade) students in the county. These students are divided up geographically to three Highschools: Hiwassee Dam 217, Andrews 256 and Murphy 479. These schools must form their teams from the student population available to them. Private/magnet schools such as Bishop and WS prep SELECT the student population that make up the AD numbers. Just the CITY of Winston Salem
has a population of almost 230,000. This does not include the population of the area outside the city limits that are
available for these schools. In other words the traditional schools are playing with the cards that they are dealt, while the Private/magnet schools are playing from a deck stacked with only Aces and face cards. While most of the people
associated with these Private Schools do not think they are recruiting, I am sure that there is some encouragement to the better athletes to attend their school. After all from your post in the past your daughters have played or will play sports at Bishop. I guess that Bishops athletic program had no bearing or you choosing Bishop as a school for them.

This post was edited on 3/5 9:25 PM by eaglepride82

Amen, eaglepride82. You said it exactly right and have the facts to back up your argument. The difference in the numbers is staggering. I can't imagine how anyone could expect us to believe this is fair. Hiwassee Dam and Avery should be very proud of making it as far as the state will allow. I feel like we are back in some Medieval class system. We have a state championship for the elite and a consolation sectional championship for the common folks. They are our lords and we should be grateful that we were allowed to play on their court.

All the NCHSAA has to do is have multiplier rule for the magnet schools.If the magnet schools are for education reasons like preparing kids for college then the magnet schools should not care if it has to play up in classification for sports.

Well something needs to be done. after this maybe the other 4 schools should get together and play each other for a championship. But something still needs to be done. they know that this is unfair at the NCHSAA. and why they allow this ? It must be money or something.

Deanna, I am pretty sure that Starmount had someone on the realignment committee last time. I do not know if he is still on the committee, but surely he has some influence. You can't possibly agree that it is fair for schools like WS Prep to compete in 1A. I know you may not be willing to say it on here, and that's ok. If you know someone in the Starmount system that has any influence with the committee, please ask them to consider allowing the prep schools to have their own state playoffs. I have no problem with them being in a conference with us because of travel issues, etc... But it should not be that big of a deal to create 1 additional division for the playoffs. Here is a way to sell it, the stat could make more money off of the extra playoff games. Many other states have solved this problem, yet NC seems to be totally uninterested in doing so. If you know someone who could help, please ask them to at least try to do something. There are lots of schools like those in the Smoky Mtn. conference that are so rural they cannot recruit (even if it was legal like it is in Forsyth County). Please ask someone to solve this problem. Like I said in another post, we adults can do better, and our kids deserve a fighting chance.

Not to take anything from the kids of these schools but the arrogance of these parents get my blood to boiling. They are basically taking Select AAU teams and abusing the NCHSAA system and actually take pride in it. These teams should be at the 3A or even 4A level. They are doing a disservice to their children by competing at the 1A level. Just so they can say look what we did.

BigSky,

Just as an fyi, the privates drew up a proposal for a success based multiplier two years ago that would have moved them up if they had a prolonged period of success (ex: Bishop would have been playing in 2A playoffs this year). The state was actually the one that voted that proposal down after the committee presented it to the state, so it's not like there's been no attempt to try and level the field.

Ultimately, like I posted awhile back, I think the endgame for the state is going to be a separate playoff classification, like you suggested, where those schools (the Bishops and Lincoln Charters of the world) would compete in their regular leagues but then are reassigned to a separate classification come playoff time.

The problem with just doing it now is that there aren't enough of them to make it a viable division. However, with the cap on charters being removed recently, we're moving in that direction quickly. I would bet you'll see it happen by the 2022 realignment at the latest.

The caveat is that this isn't going to have the end result that everyone wants. It'll thin the 1A field of the charters and the parochials, but schools like Prep, which are considered true public schools (they just happen to be in an open enrollment county), are not going to get shifted over.

Well said, and if I am a college scout , I am saying what does this show me when your playing in the 1A with all this talent and beating everyone as easy as they do. Your not being tested in front of the college scouts like you should be by playing the bigger schools with talent at your level.

Well then if prep wants to show case there talent and show how good they really are, then they should move up. it only hurts there players playing in the 1As with all that talent coming there every year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT