ADVERTISEMENT

LIVE UPDATES from Western Regionals #2

Deana_King

Staff
May 31, 2001
NCPreps.com will be courtside for today's 1A West Girls matchups between Hiwassee Dam vs Winston-Salem Prep and Cherokee vs Albemarle.

We will also be providing game updates from other venues as well.

1A Girls Live Coverage

How's the experience at the annex been for teams/fans/etc.? I'm curious if it is any better than the special events center in Greensboro.

It's seems really familiar with the Greensboro Annex. The crowds are away from the court. In the WS Annex, its pretty cold in there with the court on top of the ice.

Having been to games last year at UNCG, and this year at the LJVM annex, I don't think there is any comparison. The environment at UNCG is much better in my opinion. The crowd is closer to the court, and UNCG is more appropriately sized for the 1A playoffs

A great season for the Hiwassee Dam girls, hate to see it end at the hands of a non traditional but I don't imagine anyone else will have anything for the Prep girls either. I guess being the best true boundary 1A girl's team will have to suffice.

The folks at HD won't be hanging their heads for long though, the HD girls will be the preseason #1 team in 1A softball.

This post was edited on 3/6 5:45 PM by mbdfan

Give Albemarle credit, they're trying, but man are they outgunned here. At times Robinson is basically playing 1 on 5.

As for the earlier game, the result wasn't what HD wanted, but by and large they played well and gave Prep some trouble. They took care of the ball for the most part but went through two stretches where they handed Prep 6-8 easy points each. That was the difference.

On a side note Prep is banged up big time. Wonder if it will impact them tomorrow.

Cherokee got up by 20 and emptied the bench, congrats to Albemarle girls on a fine season and congrats to Cherokee girls on their western finals appearance

HD has a good softball team, I highly doubt preseason #1 however.

I'd say both Whiteville and North Stokes will be higher and East Wilkes won't be far behind.

Originally posted by BuckinElkin!!:

I'd say both Whiteville and North Stokes will be higher and East Wilkes won't be far behind.
they return literally the whole team that was one win away from the state title game, like I said probably preseason #1

This post was edited on 3/6 7:38 PM by mbdfan

Originally posted by mbdfan:

they return literally the whole team that was one win away from the state title game, like I said probably preseason #1

This post was edited on 3/6 7:38 PM by mbdfan
HD is ranked #3, right behind North Stokes and Whiteville.

East Wilkes is 5th.

Evidently HD is doing something right with their girls athletics. To be a small traditional boundary school and having success across multiple girls sports is fantastic. Always does my heart good for a traditional boundary school to be successful in anything. It is however, going to get harder and harder to do so. Heard from a friend of mine today that a 1a team in Virginia that we thumped twice this year was in the final four in pursuit of a state championship. I could not figure out how this could be. Did a little research. 140 charter schools in NC 7 in Virginia and there is not system equivalent to WSP. Wonder what they know that we don't or vice versa.

Easy, traditional public schools in VA are better than traditional public schools in NC hence the need for charters in NC.

I have no idea if that is right or wrong. If that is the case why do you think it is the case 3D. I do believe that everytime a new Charter is opened up, it makes the quality of education in traditional schools appear to be even worse. The reason for this is because the cream of the students is being scooped off the top and moved to Charter schools which makes them look better and traditional schools look even worse. Are the curriculums different or better in Charter schools or do they just appear better because they are at some level only getting the better students. My attempt here is not to be a smart a__ I am hat in hand asking why that is the case. The reason I ask is because I genuinely believe that the education that students get at Alleghany High School is significantly better than it was when I went there many years ago. I am not an educator but have several friends and family members that are. I realize that we live in a very rural, blue collar community in the mountains, but I see no indication that there has been any degradation in the quality of education made available to our students. One of my children graduated from here and then graduated from college with a 3.8 GPA and my second child is also an excellent student. I get no indication that they are missing anything.

Alleghany to hear you talk now Charters recruit only top level students to make their school look academically better than traditional, right? That is what the lottery is for. Charters do not/can not select the "cream of the students scooped off the top" because that is against the lottery rules and process in NC and is monitored and audited each month. You really should do your homework before commenting like you do in a negative way. So for you Charters are for cream of the crop (to make them look better than they are) students who somehow are gifted athletically and steal all the glory academically and athletically away from your schools. Its a CHOICE school who is for students that are looking to be pushed academically. Most charters offer online classes and online college classes that some traditional schools do not offer. Plus, most charters offer more AP classes than traditional schools which is a plus for kids trying to get an edge in the competitive market of University choices.

HD is ranked #3, right behind North Stokes and Whiteville.

East Wilkes is 5th.
makes sense based on last season's results, but if basing on the players each team returns HD should be #1 imo

Hats off to Cherokee on a great game and a great win.

First time for the lady Bulldogs to reach this point and it looked like it as well. They played tight and didn't seem to ever get in their game. Cherokee showed up to play and did a great job. Good luck the rest of the way Cherokee I will be pulling for you....

I said nothing about recruiting students. I fully realize that they are there by choice. Am I wrong that the students that will naturally be drawn to the charters are traditionally better students? Since that is the case, what is the likely result. I realize that there is a lottery that they have to go through, but the students that make the CHOICE to apply there are not a typical distribution of students. The natural result of this will be that they will end up with a group that had a higher chance of success and will make them appear more successful. Once these students are removed from traditional public schools, what will happen to the traditional schools performance score? For the 11th time the question has been asked, where are you from?

And for the record my question was directed to 3D whose opinion I respect very much. He had made a statement, and I was giving him an opportunity to explain his statement.
This post was edited on 3/6 11:40 PM by Alleghany84

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT