ADVERTISEMENT

howdy ya'll!

Howdy cheese head!
I've been reading in the ACT that Coach Blankenship is real excited about the Devils this year. What's your take on the 2015 season?

Last edited:
Reactions: KevinFromSwain
Welcome back to the boards. Catch up on the summer of Albemarle. Good luck Swain County

Hey Bulldog Follower.....How about giving us the short version of " the summer of Albemarle".
I've tried too keep up but somewhere after about the 200,000th response on the "Breaking News thread" I'm afraid I'm more confused than when the thread started. BTW, that's a good question for Deana.......Which thread has the most replies in the history of the NCPREPS message boards? I'm betting it's "Breaking News", hands down.

Reactions: BulldogsFollower
In 2003, the Elkin vs Starmount thread was the longest thread ever. The days of CoachRobbie had many Ram and Elk fans on here.

Reactions: Cold Biscuit
In 2003, the Elkin vs Starmount thread was the longest thread ever. The days of CoachRobbie had many Ram and Elk fans on here.

I heard that.........look up the word agitator in the dictionary and I'm pretty sure you will see a picture of CoachRobbie. :D

D man, we should be in the thick of the hunt this season. As always we've got a solid bunch but can't afford the injury bug. I'm hoping to see ring number 9 this season..... ; )

D man, we should be in the thick of the hunt this season. As always we've got a solid bunch but can't afford the injury bug. I'm hoping to see ring number 9 this season..... ; )
Thanks Kevin. I have another question for ya........How did the Devils look in the 7 on 7 at Erwin last week?

The message boards are much like television now as compared to pre cable. Does not seem to be as many active posters.

Thanks Kevin. I have another question for ya........How did the Devils look in the 7 on 7 at Erwin last week?

They looked pretty good. They beat a athletic Freedom team in the quarterfinals and then lost to Erwin 43-0 in semis. I was really impressed with Cherokee's qb as well. He does not have much help but you can tell he is a solid player. I wish Erwin could have picked up one of the better SMC teams this season instead of playing all these out of state teams non conference.

They looked pretty good. They beat a athletic Freedom team in the quarterfinals and then lost to Erwin 43-0 in semis. I was really impressed with Cherokee's qb as well. He does not have much help but you can tell he is a solid player. I wish Erwin could have picked up one of the better SMC teams this season instead of playing all these out of state teams non conference.
Hey BD, these huge conferences reek havoc on picking up a team to fill a gap. That's just the way it's been since we started seeing these 7 to 9 team conferences. BK, yeah I think we the chips fall right Swain should be in the hunt. But as a fan, that's my right and hopefully the Teams' goal too. ; )

I wouldnt ever count Swain out of a state title hunt but I think winning the SMC will be hard enough for Swain this year.

Bk, I've said it before and it's happen as such too. Sometimes its easier to win State than the SMC. Look back at the times Swain and or Murphy have won a State Crown but didn't take the SMC. But you are right the SMC should be the strongest we've seen in YEARS! Sounds like a great year ahead.

Diablo: heard it was 4-3 for the day which is ok with our numbers and losing to larger teams on hot day

Diablo: heard it was 4-3 for the day which is ok with our numbers and losing to larger teams on hot day

Good to see you back on the boards olddevil! I'm really looking forward to this season after another great season the Devils put together last year. No one expected that kind of post-season effort from such a young, over-achieving squad. Hopefully the combination of a more experienced team and one of the best coaching staffs in the state result in yet another long post-season run.

I for one think swain will be good. Should be a fun year for them. Their skill players will be tops .. But of course you have to stop the run with any swain team . The top of the conf is loaded so who knows who will win it .. I think my braves will be much more competitive and win more than they lose. Depending on how fast the young kids come along . Everyone I talk to is excited about the team. The qb looks to be a strong point along with the freshman tb who has a chance to be special .. Nice group of linebackers and a bunch of young lineman return a year stronger .

Reactions: KevinFromSwain
Swain is the team to beat this season in the SMC, fully expect them to win the league. The Cody kid is a real stud player, should be the hands down best player in the SMC this season.

With that said, I'm just not sold yet on Swain being a true state title contender in 1AA this season. The Devils lack of speed defensively is a worry. I understand lack of speed has never been a huge issue for Swain in the past when it comes to competing with athletic teams, but that's because when Swain has a good team their front 7 is almost always very big and very good. So any speedy skill players they might come up against aren't able to get to the third level of the defense in the first place. A perfect example of that being the 2011 Swain team, of course the 2011 Swain team was truly special and that was the best front 7 I've seen in the SMC since 1996. I just didn't see anything close to the typical size and strength in that area of the field for Swain last season and not sure they'll improve enough in that area in one offseason to make the difference, you can't teach size anyway.

I do think Swain will be plenty good enough up front to win the SMC and make a good playoff run but just not sure about anything more than that with the big and athletic teams they would likely see in the last two rounds of the playoffs. That is unless Swain just has a bunch of good players with size I don't know about coming out for the team this season. Otherwise the western finals or state title game might be a repeat of last year against Murphy when Deion Johnson and Kadrian McRae absolutely lit up the Devils defense with their speed on off tackle and outside runs. Except of course this time it won't be Murphy it will be a West Montgomery or a Wallace Rose Hill late in the playoffs, teams with even more overall speed but who're still solid enough on the o-line to make the holes for their speed.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT