ADVERTISEMENT

Hoggard Strikes Again

wildcatfan78

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2012
Can anyone explain how a certain Junior in New Hanover County can go to New Hanover for 2 years thru open choice and play football both years and baseball his freshman year. Then transfer to Ashley for his Junior year, his assigned school, and play football first semester. Then transfer to Hoggard for second semester and is currently playing Baseball there. All living at the same address. 3 schools in 3 years and end up at Hoggard. Who can explain how you transfer from your assigned school in the middle of the year? Only at Hoggard!!!!!

As long as the athlete is not playing for two schools in the same sport in the same season, then he is technically not breaking any rules.

Is this basically "open enrollment"? No primary residence change of the family just a straight school transfer?

wildcat, that sounds more like a county, parent or student issue .... That's not a Hoggard issue. I think it's crazy a kid would want to go to three schools in three years, but it's open enrollment and those are the rules that everybody plays by. I was talking to a friend of mine this past weekend (his family lives in Laney district) and he said that they have been to orientation at three schools for their twins due to the open enrollment. He mentioned to me that they might end up at one school because of a relationship they have with a coach.

wildcat this isn't Hoggard striking again, but an issue that either the parent or kid trying to find playing time (take my ball and go).. Maybe next year he will end up at Laney and make it a clean sweep.

That's open choice and has to be applied in the spring for the next year. There is no open enrollment in NH County. Open Choice is normally granted to rising 9th Graders if there is a slot at the school they apply to but is looked at closely for upper classmen. There usually has to be a compelling reason for upperclassmen or they have to move into that school district to play at another school. It's rare to have a player playing varsity football at one school and varsity baseball at another school in the same year without moving into the district. It probably wouldn't be approved for any school other than Hoggard. Guess they needed a starter for Baseball!!!!!

You are "technically right" unless the player practiced with the baseball team at Ashley before he transferred. Don't think that's allowed.

I tried as hard as I could to explain to you and a few others that I was not taking a shot at NH with my post during the season about this issue. It just so happened that I was using the fact that NH had, what I felt was too many transfers in a single year. You didn't seem to have a problem with it then. For me, I would just like to see some consistency. I know that some kids get in and some kids get denied.

If you want to make this a competition and keep score I am in. NH has had 4 times the transfers as Hoggard, Laney and Ashley combined.

Originally posted by wildcatfan78:

That's open choice and has to be applied in the spring for the next year. There is no open enrollment in NH County. Open Choice is normally granted to rising 9th Graders if there is a slot at the school they apply to but is looked at closely for upper classmen. There usually has to be a compelling reason for upperclassmen or they have to move into that school district to play at another school. It's rare to have a player playing varsity football at one school and varsity baseball at another school in the same year without moving into the district. It probably wouldn't be approved for any school other than Hoggard. Guess they needed a starter for Baseball!!!!!
wildcat, called a buddy of mine whose son is on the baseball team at Hoggard and the kid you are talking about did not start the last game. He said the kid is a decent player (he didn't play baseball last spring) and some Hoggard parents are scratching their heads as well at what's going on. The parent told me the running joke is that the family has already filled out the paper work to go to Coastal Christian next year. I agree with you ... Going to three schools in three years is really crazy, but it appears (according to the school board) to be legit. As I said earlier (in this case) .... Your frustration and complaints should be towards the school board (those are the rules). I wish Brunswick county had more drama like this ... Its gets boring down here with high school sports. Always something brewing up there.. .

This post was edited on 3/10 1:05 PM by Screamin' Monk

This post was edited on 3/10 7:44 PM by Screamin' Monk

everybody has it wrong! this is a huge parent problem that is teaching their kid what lesson? that if a team isn't good just go to a better team? if i can't make it on this team just go try somewhere else? how about working harder and learning how to adapt in situations instead of running from it. huge mistake on a parent's part to teach kids how to run!

Port,
Then it would appear that the School Board needs to add students to NH's district as it is the only school that is not at capacity. Any suggestions what neighborhoods need to add? That is why NH can accept students for open choice. Keep in mind that a lot of these "transfers" as you call them actually moved into NH district.

Monk,
My frustration is with the Supt and the Asst. Supt (Holiday) who is the county Athletic Director by default. If a kid wants to go to 3 schools that's fine, but how do you transfer in the middle of the year and live in the same house for all 3 years. Even if the Administration gives a logical explanation, I wouldn't believe it after the double talk during football season. (Quarterback is not ineligible!!!)

Port,
Then it would appear that the School Board needs to add students to NH's district as it is the only school that is not at capacity. Any suggestions what neighborhoods need to add? That is why NH can accept students for open choice. Keep in mind that a lot of these "transfers" as you call them actually moved into NH district.
NH can hold over 3000 students, I dont see them getting to capacity for a while. I understand when their numbers were way down but that's not the case any longer. Their enrollment was actually more than Hoggard a few years ago.

Port,
So you are agreeing NH can accept more open choice students? If you are drawing fewer students from your district than the other high schools, and the school board doesn't change the district lines, then how else do you equalize enrollment other than open choice? I'm glad there is a lot of interest in NH for Academic and Athletic reasons. Go Cats!!!!

Port,
So you are agreeing NH can accept more open choice students? If you are drawing fewer students from your district than the other high schools, and the school board doesn't change the district lines, then how else do you equalize enrollment other than open choice? I'm glad there is a lot of interest in NH for Academic and Athletic reasons. Go Cats!!!!
When NH had open enrollment years ago their numbers where around 1300, I have no problem with that. Then their numbers increased and the county changed it to open choice. My beef was, I felt more kids were getting into NH than other schools. The county does need to make some changes and be more consistent. Blaming this on Hoggard shows ignorance or immaturity.

This post was edited on 3/11 10:50 AM by portcity FB

Port,
Just reminding you this post is about a kid getting into Hoggard in the middle of the year to play baseball and how that could have occurred with no moving into the district?

Port,
Just reminding you this post is about a kid getting into Hoggard in the middle of the year to play baseball and how that could have occurred with no moving into the district?
I understand that. So when the kid shows up at hoggard with paperwork from the county what exactly is hoggard staff suppose to do?

Port,
You let him in. The question is why was he allowed to transfer in the middle of the year? If he had wanted to transfer to Laney instead of Hoggard, would he have been able to, or is Hoggard getting preferential treatment from the Administration.

You are talking out of both sides of your mouth. The post says "Hoggard strikes again" then you say there nothing they can do. Now your saying hoggard gets special treatment. This coming from a NH guy. This is laughable, your just trying to smear Hoggard.

I started a tread on this very thing during the season. I never put any of the blame on the school. You didn't want to discuss the problem then. You only wanted to defend NH, and attack Hoggard and people. You are doing the same thing now. This is past old.

But there's so much to attack. When you have the Superintendant saying a player is "not ineligible" wouldn't you question whether he is trying to keep the player eligible. Why use a double negative? That's my problem with the cozy relationship between Shipyard and Carolina Beach Rd. And now a player transferring in the middle of the year without moving?
Then the superintendant taking a month to say whether 3 players were eligible and then gave a vague generic answer.
So much to question!!!!

Heard a rumor that the QB from Topsail is transferring to New Hanover.

wildcat78 .... Any thoughts?

You guys are way behind Forsyth County but it sounds like you're trying to catch up!!! In Forsyth both principles of the schools just had to agree. It was called a principle to principle transfer. We also have 2 two week periods where every kid in the county can complete paperwork and attend the school of their choice. We call it the fall and spring signing periods!!!

Heard a rumor that the QB from Topsail is transferring to New Hanover.

wildcat78 .... Any thoughts?
My understanding is the parents are truly seperated and he lives with his father in the NH district. I understand he was living with him last year and commuting back to Topsail.

You are talking out of both sides of your mouth. The post says "Hoggard strikes again" then you say there nothing they can do. Now your saying hoggard gets special treatment. This coming from a NH guy. This is laughable, your just trying to smear Hoggard.
Port,
How is it that the Student in question is sent back to Ashley due to not being eligible to be at Hogggard. He played Baseball at Hoggard while he was there. Nothing is done to Hoggard as far as having to forfeit any games he played. Then I understand when the administration was questioned on this, they had to report it to the NCHSAA. I would call that special treatment!!!!

Port,
How is it that the Student in question is sent back to Ashley due to not being eligible to be at Hogggard. He played Baseball at Hoggard while he was there. Nothing is done to Hoggard as far as having to forfeit any games he played. Then I understand when the administration was questioned on this, they had to report it to the NCHSAA. I would call that special treatment!!!!
No it isn't. If the county found out the family wasn't being truthful and made the change than good for them. Hoggard isn't hiding anything. The kid shows up to school with all the proper paperwork than the school lets them in.

No it isn't. If the county found out the family wasn't being truthful and made the change than good for them. Hoggard isn't hiding anything. The kid shows up to school with all the proper paperwork than the school lets them in.
Doesn't matter if the school knew he was improperly enrolled or not, the school should have forfeited the games he played in. Clear cut, not open for interpretation. My understanding is only after it was questioned to the County administration and they didn't have any option was it sent to the NCHSAA. No other school in the county can use illegal players without fear of retribution if they are caught. Hoggard has gotten away with it for years.

Called my friend whose son plays at Hoggard and said that the kid in question only played in eight games and two of those were conference games (1-1). If Hoggard was to forfeit all those games they would be tied for second in the conference and still make the playoffs, Hoggard didn't win any championships (conference or state) from having this player. I know ... I know ... It's the principle of the thing. The father I talked to said he didn't contribute much while he was the team. On the other hand, What are the parents and kid thinking? Free agents in pro sports don't move around that much.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter if the school knew he was improperly enrolled or not, the school should have forfeited the games he played in. Clear cut, not open for interpretation. My understanding is only after it was questioned to the County administration and they didn't have any option was it sent to the NCHSAA. No other school in the county can use illegal players without fear of retribution if they are caught. Hoggard has gotten away with it for years.
Your topic is named "Hoggard strikes again". This implies Hoggard knowingly did something wrong and got away with it. That isn't true. As far as the what the county does and to whom, I don't know. For you to think a similar situation hasn't happen on Market st would be naive.

I do not know the facts in this case but I have found over the years there is often much more to the story than what us outsiders know and that is whether the school was at fault or the family was deceptive.

If a student and parents provide fraudulent documentation to gain eligibility the school will not forfeit unless there is more evidence that the school did know or did not follow up on some evidence. No coach is going to risk forfeiting games with a player that is not a big time contributor. Period. Not worth the risk.

I do not know the facts in this case but I have found over the years there is often much more to the story than what us outsiders know and that is whether the school was at fault or the family was deceptive.

If a student and parents provide fraudulent documentation to gain eligibility the school will not forfeit unless there is more evidence that the school did know or did not follow up on some evidence. No coach is going to risk forfeiting games with a player that is not a big time contributor. Period. Not worth the risk.
I agree. The player in question will either help the team or not help the team. If he helps the team, he draws attention which that could lead to trouble. If he doesn't help the team why the risk? Like you said, not worth it either way.

Called my friend whose son plays at Hoggard and said that the kid in question only played in eight games and two of those were conference games (1-1). If Hoggard was to forfeit all those games they would be tied for second in the conference and still make the playoffs, Hoggard didn't win any championships (conference or state) from having this player. I know ... I know ... It's the principle of the thing. The father I talked to said he didn't contribute much while he was the team. On the other hand, What are the parents and kid thinking? Free agents in pro sports don't move around that much.
Monk,
I agree. 3 schools in 3 semesters. However, he was a starting outfielder at least thru the NH game, the 1st conference game. Don't know what happened after that. My issue is that as Btango pointed out the school shouldn't be penalized if the parents gave false or misleading info to the school. As logical as that sounds that's not what has been happening in NH County. The best track star in the county was sent back from Hoggard to Ashley a few years back and was 365'd,
a running back at New Hanover 2 years ago his eligibility was questioned and the first word's from Dr. Holliday was NH had to forfeit all their games and miss the playoffs. And now this situation appears to have been swept under the rug. Let's just all play on an even field and then there will not be anything to complain about. This is not directed at Hoggard but how it appears Hoggard gets special treatment from the school system. It starts at the Central office. It should end at the Central office.

Monk,
I agree. 3 schools in 3 semesters. However, he was a starting outfielder at least thru the NH game, the 1st conference game. Don't know what happened after that. My issue is that as Btango pointed out the school shouldn't be penalized if the parents gave false or misleading info to the school. As logical as that sounds that's not what has been happening in NH County. The best track star in the county was sent back from Hoggard to Ashley a few years back and was 365'd,
a running back at New Hanover 2 years ago his eligibility was questioned and the first word's from Dr. Holliday was NH had to forfeit all their games and miss the playoffs. And now this situation appears to have been swept under the rug. Let's just all play on an even field and then there will not be anything to complain about. This is not directed at Hoggard but how it appears Hoggard gets special treatment from the school system. It starts at the Central office. It should end at the Central office.
So this tread should read "New Hanover County Strikes again".
Also, what season did NH forfeit all their FB wins?

So this tread should read "New Hanover County Strikes again".
Also, what season did NH forfeit all their FB wins?
They didn't forfeit any wins. The County Administration got an "anonymous" tip that a player was not districted correctly. The administration normally does not look into anonymous tips but before they even did any homework Dr. Holliday called NH and said they were done, out of the playoffs and would have to forfeit all there games. It was only a paperwork clarification and was straightened out but if Schoenleber had been at NH or the Greenough kid had been at NH they would not have been given a pass like Hoggard was given in both of these instances.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT