ADVERTISEMENT

Hearing rumors that robbinsville has fired it's coach?

BravesGWY

Jan 5, 2015
Is it true that they fired tommy Johnson ? What in the heck I thought he did a very good job up there.

His coaching contract was not renewed, but he is still a teacher. I don't think that decision was based on his coaching skills, but other factors. I must say I am disappointed in the "stand for coach J" fans. They are hearing one side of this story and making assumptions about some very good people.

Seems odd that keep him as a teacher and not a coach if it was not his coaching. Something doesn't add up. Anyway think you lost a good one

From the one game I saw his team play I thought he did a very good job.

After our best player went down for the season I thought it would be much worse than it ended up being. I think he did a great job to keep us in the mix without our best guy. I heard from a family member that he was fired. I also heard it was because of something he said. 3 days ago I heard from a friend that a certain family had something to do with it. Like I said I heard this from someone who has nothing to do with the program so take that info with a grain of salt as did I. I have no ideal what happened but it seems like we always lose the good bball coaches while the average one stay as long as they choose. If our girls do not win the SMC next year I will be upset. The last few years it seems our girls fall off at the varsity level after being one of the better teams in middle school and JVs. This needs to change. I would love to see Andy Cable get a shot at a coaching job. He would probably want to coach the girls because he has a girl in the 5th grade right now that is very good. For you who don't know Andy, he is the coach of the termite girls team over the last few years. this past season he moved up to coach the 5th,6th grade girls because his girls moved up. Anyone that has watch these girls play over the last few season know Andy has them in shape and ready to play. Over the last 3 season they have won 2 termite ships and last year they won the mites ship.Undefeated last year, Undefeated the year before while playing in a Xmas tourney in Asheville and only lost 2 game 3 years ago. One to Murphy by 2 points and one to a North GA all star team with 4th and 5th graders while we had 3rd and 4th graders. So andy is something like 40-2 over 3 years and about 30-0 the last 2 years. I vote for coach Andy to coach Middle, JV, or Varsity girls in the next few years.

Go 4 it, can you say what happened with Johnson. I know he was also our jv football coach and helped out with the V alittle. He seems very nice and his wife also. Wish he the best of luck.
This post was edited on 4/12 2:18 PM by BK13T-$

BK, I don't know the reasons his contract was not renewed and no one else will either because the people that I assume made this decision (superintendent, principal, and athletic director) are not going to discuss it. Employers will not disclose information about an employee because they could be sued.

Again, I don't think this has anything to do with his coaching abilities. If you google Coach Johnson you will see he has winning records in Wilkes County and at Pisgah (a state championship there I think). However, there is more to being a coach and teacher than a winning record.

There are plenty of rumors going around town but let me say with certainty ... there is no way that Coach Johnson's contract was not renewed just because he stated an opinion about an RHS female athlete. There is most definitely more about this situation than we will ever know, but I am friends with, and can vouch for the integrity of, two of the three people involved in this decision, so I have no doubt that this was the right decision.

As to the girls coaching ... isn't Elle King still the coach?

As far as Andy Cable coaching JV or Varsity ... I think that the head coach of JV and Varsity teams has to be a school employee but I'm not positive about that ... does he work at the school? I don't think assistant coaches have to be school employees,so he may be able to help out in that way.

This post was edited on 4/13 2:31 PM by Go4itKnights

yes King is still the coach.

And andy does not work for the school but I sure wish he did. He is a great coach.

I heard that Warren Knott was named as the head basketball coach. He has been an assistant boy's basketball coach for a few years now. I think he used to coach girls basketball some years ago, or maybe he was an assistant, not sure. Anyhow, congrats to Coach Knott and good luck next season.

yes warren was girls coach. alot of people thought he got thrown under the bus. we all know what was done to warren the last time he coached. I will be pulling 4 him.

BK I don't remember what happened last time ... I guess, at the time, I didn't follow the girl's basketball program.

Well got to watch rville Hayesville swain and cherokee at franklin ... I will say rville was way below what I expected. They barely beat a swain team which cherokee beat by 40 or so .. What is the deal

Girls that is ...it still shocks me me about rville boys. What coach did without his best player plus not getting his team till what Christmas.. Must be something else to this story

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT