ADVERTISEMENT

HB 484

Lin Stadler

Nov 24, 2003
Eleven state legislators from the mountains to the coast have teamed up to sponsor HB 484. This bill is specific to allowing home schooled athletes to participate in interscholastic athletics. This is a separate bill from the senate version I posted about last week,

The eleven legislators are:
Cleveland;
Dobson;
McElraft;
Yarborough (Primary)
Brody;
Ford;
Jones;
Jordan;
Pittman;
Speciale;
Stam;

Look them up and write them.

Parents make the choice to home school for a variety of reasons but the main reason is that there is a perceived issue with the public schools. Is it not the epitome of hypocrisy to say a school or school system is not good enough for my child's education but it is good enough for my child's sports endeavors? Talk about "having your cake and eating it to." This whole idea defies logic.

There is nothing logical about our current legislature, especially regarding education. They are self-proclaimed experts on everything from property rights (unless it's fracking) to how local governments should be run. They are smarter than cities, counties, school boards, teachers, doctors, researchers, and especially the voters. And they talk about the federal government being a nanny state!

Agree............have you ever looked at the occupations of these people? I doubt many have been in a public school for more than a few hours at a time since they were ironically students in public schools.

I don't think it is hypocritical given the fact that they still have to pay taxes that support public schools even though they choose not to send their kids there. Citizens pick and choose which public services to take advantage of or not every day. Why should this be any different? If they choose not to take advantage of the classroom settings but do choose to take advantage of the athletics, then I have no problem with that. It's no different than a kid opting to take advantage of the L-R Scholars program in which they go to Lenoir Rhyne University for the entire school day for classes during their senior year of high school but can still participate at their high school for athletics.

Tax dollars don't pay my bills (see post on another board) so the fact that home parents of home schooled students "pay taxes.....therefore their child should be able to play" doesn't add up.

Also, L-R scholars program is probably an extension or outgrowth of a public school program like many Early Colleges. If true, you are not comparing apples to apples.

If it is early college or dual enrollment it's all the same. Some students like to
take advantage of everything available. Good for them. Sometimes this means being dual enrolled
as a public or home school student in a college. If they reside in the district
and meet the qualifications why are you opposed to them participating?

Home school students will bring more loop holes into the system that will be taken advantage of heavily until it figured out how to control this.

Included in this bill or another one is a private school item that will allow a private school student to play sports at their home district school if the private school does not allow it.

I am ok with a student that attends a public home district high school playing a sport their school does not offer at the public school nearest their primary residence.

I do not agree with home school students and private school students being allowed to play sports at the public school. I do not think they are regulated the same as the public school student, whether that is good or bad.

I also am 100% against school vouchers. This was pushed heavily by the the elected officials in Raleigh and now two of the five largest benefactors are Islamic schools. The other three are Christian based.

For every student that does not attend the public schools that system loses that student's share of the state budge money. Whether the student attends charter, private, or home school the local public school system lost that share of the money. If the system is not receiving budget money for a student why should that student be allowed to participate in that school system's activities? If a student from a neighboring county attends a school they normally pay tuition for the county portion of the taxes and the state money is directed to the school district they attend.

There are too many students in public schools that cannot play sports for various reasons and in many instances it is questionable but would be more so allowing students from outside the school. Number one would be attendance. How do you keep a kid out of sports for that when a home school student qualifies to play?

patsfball............early colleges are public schools. Dual enrollment in two public schools is enrollment in public school.

Early College is a public school. Dual enrollment in two public schools is enrollment in public schools.

What would your take be on parents who sent their kid to their assigned public school for an education but chose to have that same kid play AAU basketball exclusively instead of school ball because they didn't like the school coach?

It's definitely not the reverse of a home schooled student coming into public schools to play sports.

I won't put my thoughts on AAU/USSSA/JO, etc. out there for the public.

I'd also add that I never played sports or didn't play sports because of a coach. I played because I loved it. Coached them for the same reason. Don't have much time for people with any other mindset.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT