ADVERTISEMENT

Florida Legislature Opens the Floodgates for HS Sports Transfers

I guess Kentucky and Duke should only be allowed 1 MD's all American recruit every 3 years.

Beamer do you agree with the Florida age rule?

A student can play up until the day he turns 19 years old and 9 months. A player can play in the state title game and turn twenty years old in March. In the last two seasons a five star recruit played until the state quarterfinals before aging out. Some students graduate at 17 and some at 20. A player playing as a sophomore may be 14 but most likely 15 although he could be going against a player that is nearly 20.

I don't know a lot about it but if the kid fails a couple of grades and he's 20 I don't think he should be playing in high school but every situation is different and I think the more local education is the better.

They have the eight quarter rule for athletes. You have eight quarters from the start of the first to play out your eligibility. Some have started late or held back. Most states you cannot play sports if you turn 19 before a set date. NC is you cannot turn 19 on or before August 31 and play sports that coming school year.

I was 17 when I graduated. There was a few of us that were 17 and some were or close to 19. I guess if you get held back you better not fail a grade. Which failing is almost against the law today.

Two years ago I was on vacation in Clearwater, Florida and went to the first Hooters. All the central Florida star high school football players were there doing interviews. Quite a few news camera men and reporters were there as well. Florida is crazy about football. Almost anything goes for the sake of football. Never seen so many cameras for high school kids.

The state of Florida is second only to Texas in FBS recruits. Pretty impressive.
Must be doing something right down there!

I'm sorry, but I don't see the problem. Why should a kid who happens to be zoned in a losing school's district be forced to remain at that school? If it was a school that was failing for academic reasons, he'd be allowed to transfer to a school with higher academic success (federal and state rules). Since this will effect their future as much as anything else, why shouldn't they be allowed to transfer to higher profile programs where they can experience success and get their name out there for the next level? It may seem noble to remain at some rinky dink program, but when the difference is FSU recruiting you and Florida A&M recruiting you, a player should be allowed to do what's in their best interest despite what fans and coaches think.

I'm sorry, but I don't see the problem. Why should a kid who happens to be zoned in a losing school's district be forced to remain at that school? If it was a school that was failing for academic reasons, he'd be allowed to transfer to a school with higher academic success (federal and state rules). Since this will effect their future as much as anything else, why shouldn't they be allowed to transfer to higher profile programs where they can experience success and get their name out there for the next level? It may seem noble to remain at some rinky dink program, but when the difference is FSU recruiting you and Florida A&M recruiting you, a player should be allowed to do what's in their best interest despite what fans and coaches think.

I agree jumbob. it only makes sense

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT