ADVERTISEMENT

Elgibilty Question

No.1RamsFan

Nov 20, 2005
I am new to private school athletics and its rules. I was told that private schools in NC can play 5th year seniors. In otyher words a kid can play FB for 5 years at a private school, which I interpret his meaning that a kid can play public school FB and then go to a private school and play another year. I told the guy that I find this difficult to believe. Am I right or wrong?

A kid can transfer from public to private and be reclassified (repeat a grade) and many privates do this for "academic" reasons for the benefit of the student (I say this with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek). The larger privates in Charlotte will not take 5 year seniors. The private school eligibility rule is a student has 6 semesters to complete his eligibility once he enters the 10th grade. If he goes from public to private in the 12 grade he would have 2 semesters left meaning he could play a fifth year as long as he does not turn 19 before either Aug. or Oct 1 (I am not sure of the date. If he enters a private school from a public in the jr. year he would have 4 semesters remaining as long as he meets the age requirement. This 6 semester rule being different from the public school 8 semester rule is one reason why many publics will not schedule privates--particularly in basketball where the practice is very prevalent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT