ADVERTISEMENT

EC versus WSPU

seadog28

Oct 4, 2004
Play loose, but play mean mighty Mariners. You have got to take this one. You have to take it like you own it and it was stolen from you, which it was. The fine folks from WSPU need to know that the "East Side" has some unfinished business. Another great year, WSPU. We will take the golf clap at the trophy ceremony as a sign of sportsmanship. Play loose and play mean mighty Mariners, but above all, take back what is yours.

Damn right, I said it!

I will be pulling for your boys Seadog. I will be the one with the Alleghany jacket and a big smile if you win

I just wanted to wish EC the very best and to let you guys know that there are many traditional schools across the state that are pulling for you guys. You not only represent Carteret County, but you represent all of the traditional, small community rural schools out there that play by the rules. Play with pride and the satisfaction of knowing that you did it the right way.

Thanks Alleghany, these boys and staff deserve it. They will have to play loose, commit and own it like their fraud competition does.

Damn right, I said it!!

Originally posted by BigSkyCountry:
I just wanted to wish EC the very best and to let you guys know that there are many traditional schools across the state that are pulling for you guys. You not only represent Carteret County, but you represent all of the traditional, small community rural schools out there that play by the rules. Play with pride and the satisfaction of knowing that you did it the right way.
+1000

Looking forward to a great game. East Carteret has an outstanding team that deserves respect. I wish both teams the best and hope they can show a higher level of sportsmanship and mutual respect for each other than we adults have shown. Let's hate the system but not the kids.

As much as I would like to see EC win I think the only way for anyting to be done about WSP (and others) is for both their boys and girls to win. Then, maybe then, some people will wake up and smell the stench.

Originally posted by exsshs:

As much as I would like to see EC win I think the only way for anyting to be done about WSP (and others) is for both their boys and girls to win. Then, maybe then, some people will wake up and smell the stench.
Not happening this time .

I don't know who will win but everyone can be assured, East will bring it. I've never seen a team play as hard for 32 min. as this group. They have to bring it because they are almost always smaller than their opponent.

Go Mariners!

Don't know anything about ED. Have they always had great BB teams or is this a special group that just comes along once in a lifetime?

Originally posted by Buddy Rich:

Don't know anything about ED. Have they always had great BB teams or is this a special group that just comes along once in a lifetime?
By ED do you mean EC? If so, it is a once in a lifetime team here. These guys are a core four year letterman
group who've mainly been together since elementary school . Lost to Rocky Mount Prep in regionals , then followed that up with a loss to WSP last year in the final by one point and a few second. That said we have strong jayvee and middle school programs coming up , and I think we will continue to be a tough out for the foreseeable future but this group is a once in a lifetime team . You cant teach height, which is where we usually fall short Pun intended , but we make up for that with hard work, determination speed and three ball bombs The girls soccer made it to the state final last year before losing to, ,,,,,you guessed it,,,,,, a charter school by a penalty kick shootout . You couldn't make this stuff up ...

Great group of kids led by PG Jacque Brown. He's been the catalyst since his freshman season. A truly once in a lifetime player that changes the face of a team forever. East will win Saturday and revenge their loss last season!! Congrats to the coaches and team for getting back there and making Beaufort proud as can be. That community deserves it!

Originally posted by exsshs:

don't worry, they'll both be bringing home the titles next season if not this one considering how young both teams are

Appreciate your thoughts exsshs, but if an advantaged school won 9 in a row and nothing happened, I fear that the Preparatory academy winning another one will not change anything either. We are where we are, and I fear that we will be where we are now for years to come. There was a committee that was established in 2012-2013 to come up with better ideas on how to handle the problem. That committee could not come to any consensus. The problem is that whatever change may be proposed in the future, there can be no appearance that it is disadvantageous to the non traditional schools. Never mind the fact that we have been disadvantaged for all these years, we MUST make sure that the other classifications are not disadvantaged in any way.

I fear that our leaders ( principals and superintendents) are not fighting the fight with any real vigor. I am also afraid that we as parents and fans have not taken the problem seriously enough. How many people do you know that have written or emailed the NCHSAA? Until there is a serious stink made about the problem, it will not be fixed. The school administrators are the group that can best fix it. Most administrators however do not really care enough to take a serious stance on something. At least I know that our administration would not rally the troops and take on the battle.

It is sad and I hate for the disadvantaged kids, but I am now like a whipped dog. I do not believe that enough people will take the necessary steps to make the NCHSAA get off their rear and do something.

It pains me to say this but I agree with you 84. I just don't see enough people making enough of a stink about this issue to NCHSAA to make them do anything. With realignment coming up it would be a good time to fix the problem so we can only hope they will do something. But I'm afraid nothing will happen. So we will continue to play out our season, knowing full well that when the playoffs come it will be the Preps of the world that will take home the trophy. Sad.

A n arguement could be made that the privates had no issue with playing up a classification therefore charters, preps, and nonboundary magnets should follow suit. The NC Legislators are ruining the public school system with vouchers for charters. When the kids who perform and have a means of transportation to charters leave the publics education in North Carolina will decline beyond what it is now (which is not very good).

I have totally lost faith in this legislative group.

The vouchers are for kids to attend private schools actually. But the General Assembly lifting the cap on charters and designing educational laws to benefit charters clearly shows where their loyalty and bias is. Godevilsgo, as far as your opinion on this legislative group, I don't disagree with you.

This post was edited on 3/12 1:55 PM by Dosso

Originally posted by Dosso:
The vouchers are for kids to attend private schools actually. But the General Assembly lifting the cap on charters and designing educational laws to benefit charters clearly shows where their loyalty and bias is. Godevilsgo, as far as your opinion on this legislative group, I don't disagree with you.

Correct and I agree.

Funny thing is the representative for Stanly County is a supporter of the vouchers, which I do not agree with, and with school choice to include charters. He is now supporting the community schools in the potential schools closures in Stanly County. The charter school and a couple of small privates are one of the main reasons the county is having some issues in a few schools. What strikes me is that the fight for vouchers had a very Christian based push behind but two of the three or four largest recipients of the voucher students are the Islamic schools in Durham and Greensboro. Go figure.

Btango- I was told that about the Christian school push and how the Islamic schools used it to their advantage but I did not pay much attention to it. Funny how you mentioned it. My daughter is in graduate school in Durham and she said it was true at dinner tonight. She works with the school systems as part of classes. Very high concentration of middle eastern descent people in Durham and Cary. Kind of backfired again on the people making policy for religious reasons. Usually does.

I also agree with current legislative group on education, their agenda is not public school friendly. But doesn't the private school vouchers have something to do with income also? They are not available to anyone that wants to go to private school?

From this area schools like Davidson Day and Southlake Christian have big money flowing in the athletic programs. Not sure whether they will be good schools to schedule for sports in the future. Although they don't compete for regular titles playing them as non conference opponents in my opinion is not wise for 1A and 2A schools. Basically it sends a message that recruiting players is acceptable and we don't care what you do. They say money doesn't buy happiness but it can buy star athlete's high school scholarships. These schools are not subject to the parochial rules.

Originally posted by Godevilsgo:
From this area schools like Davidson Day and Southlake Christian have big money flowing in the athletic programs. Not sure whether they will be good schools to schedule for sports in the future. Although they don't compete for regular titles playing them as non conference opponents in my opinion is not wise for 1A and 2A schools. Basically it sends a message that recruiting players is acceptable and we don't care what you do. They say money doesn't buy happiness but it can buy star athlete's high school scholarships. These schools are not subject to the parochial rules.
Those schools are not part of the NCHSAA so they do have different rules and regulations for accepting transfers and tuition assistance.

To my shock Albemarle scheduled Davidson Day and it went even worse than I expected the first game.

I had an athlete's father approach me about Davidson Day due to my knowing their head coach. I explained to him that if he was interested in going to school there and playing sports the parents would need to go through the process of meeting with the administration before they would ever speak to the coach. He does not go out looking for players and he does not speak to parents who have not gone through the appropriate steps for admission.

Originally posted by Sportsnut17:

I also agree with current legislative group on education, their agenda is not public school friendly. But doesn't the private school vouchers have something to do with income also? They are not available to anyone that wants to go to private school?
The vouchers for this school year were for a maximum of $4,200 per child and could not exceed the tuition costs of the private school the student attends. Some schools lowered the tuition for those children so they could attend. In some instances it was to gain diversity and I think in others it was to build the enrollment higher through more people knowing about the school.

A student is eligible for the voucher if the family meets the reduced lunch income which was $44,000 for a family of four this year. The current plan is this will increase to nearly $60k per year for voucher eligibility. There is talk about increasing the amount of the voucher also. Money lost to the local school system as the student enrollment drops which cuts the amount of funds the system receives. In addition schools with higher enrollments of lower income students get additional stipends would be lost. Personally, I think it is another kick in the balls of our public education system by the legislature.

I couldn't help but notice that some posters didn't respond after East beat Prep.
I would like to point out that coach Gould had nothing but good things to say about East and;stated something that the East fans knew but never brought up(that I no of). Last year Jacque had a bad fall two days before last years game. Brown wasn't right and had an off game. I will always believe that East would have won that game with a healthy Jacque Brown.
But we can all play the IF game. IMO next year the finals will be Prep vs Voyager. Northside,if Bam Bam stays and some good guard play,could challenge Voyager.
East will have a good team next year but will be a different styled team. Coach Anderson said they won't be show time but they will be competitive. Those seniors meant so much and will be hard to replace especially Jacque who was always the difference.

This post was edited on 3/19 11:34 AM by marinersgold

Well I am just tickled s--tless that you beat them this year. I would have been happier if you beat them last year. The only thing worse than taking advantage of a system and winning state championships, is taking advantage of the system and getting beat. Rest assured though, they will be back.

My 2 favorite teams have and will continue to be the Alleghany Trojans and whoever is playing Prep.

Thanks 84 for your kind words. I was looking for that Alleghany jacket and the big smile after the game Saturday. There were so many fans leaving after the east game making it hard to see.
Good luck out west next year.

Originally posted by marinersgold:

I couldn't help but notice that some posters didn't respond after East beat Prep.
I would like to point out that coach Gould had nothing but good things to say about East and;stated something that the East fans knew but never brought up(that I no of). Last year Jacque had a bad fall two days before last years game. Brown wasn't right and had an off game. I will always believe that East would have won that game with a healthy Jacque Brown.
But we can all play the IF game. IMO next year the finals will be Prep vs Voyager. Northside,if Bam Bam stays and some good guard play,could challenge Voyager.
East will have a good team next year but will be a different styled team. Coach Anderson said they won't be show time but they will be competitive. Those seniors meant so much and will be hard to replace especially Jacque who was always the difference.

This post was edited on 3/19 11:34 AM by marinersgold
I say we will be a different team , but just as dangerous. With the guys we have coming back , and the youngsters who got such valuable big time game experience, I think we surprise a few people . With a different style ( a young team , no doubt ) Senior leadership from D 1 prospect Trevor Willis and The Quarterback Brennan Lewis , the youngsters Malik "Never Quit" Collins and Maceo Donald assuming the PG position taught to him by Jacque Brown and several JV's including Jack Garrison Jr. TY Simmons . 2 and Utley and the others , my money is on another great run from The Mighty Mariners!!

Lol to funny this dude here..... Welp what we do know... Is your team didn't do thusly leaving you in the stands watching a game you'll never get to play in..... I enjoyed watching a great game.... Between two programs that was full of class. Good luck next year trying to best Them.....

Originally posted by pattheball:
Lol to funny this dude here..... Welp what we do know... Is your team didn't do thusly leaving you in the stands watching a game you'll never get to play in..... I enjoyed watching a great game.... Between two programs that was full of class. Good luck next year trying to best Them.....
Unsure if your comment is meant towards me or what you are trying to say since it appears to be in a form of the English language I am unfamiliar with. I know that no team ( at least in the near future ) will be able to best the one that will graduate this spring. I do, however, believe that The Mariners return two huge pieces of this championship run in Trevor Willis and Brennan Lewis . We have won our conference 5 years in a row and our JV program was as strong as ever this season . Glad you think it's funny , because myself and the Mariner Nation are nothing but serious about that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT