ADVERTISEMENT

DEXTER LAWRENCE

Grossly overrated. Good talent but size and competition makes him stand out

Looks to me like he has not committed to anyone as of yet....if I am correct.

I believe he knows the responsibilities of his position very well

Why do you find him overrated Mr. Champ?

I saw him play against Hoggard as a soph. Hoggard had a strong O line and he was a monster. We had to double and triple team him and run away from him. I also watched him closely against MC and he had his way. He isn't over rated to me.

I thought he looked pretty darn good against Mallard Creek too. Hard to please some folks when you have the expectations that come with being number 1.

Kid went to head to head with the nation's best all summer. He was pretty impressive against MC last year. How many 6-5 300+ linemen block and recovered punts?

Kid went to head to head with the nation's best all summer. He was pretty impressive against MC last year. How many 6-5 300+ linemen block and recovered punts?
Ms King
Well Said!
You wont find many 6'5" / 300+ that are willing to give hard work. I see kids that by the time they reach 300lbs they are lazy.
For all that saw him up against MC has seen it all. If you can be a bright light and shine in MCs face, you deserve to be in the top 3. In this case, the kid deserves the #1 slot.

I know one thing, he hasnt been playing XBOX, playing hide-n-seek, taking drugs, or any of those growing up pains that no parent wishes to experience. The kid has just simply been training hard.

Congrats to Dexter Lawrence and his parent for a great upbringing.

I just don't see him as the top player in the nation, yet alone north carolina

I agree Champ. I saw him against Mallard Creek. He was all they could handle, but I don't see him as top in the nation.

Best in the nation is pretty subjective. Could be 20 guys easy in that argument. His numbers are off the charts. 6'5 330 and he ran a 4.79 at the Shrine bowl combine. Through up the bench 38 times. Yikes. Going against the best Olineman in the nation two weeks ago and won most his reps.

I think the Wake Forest defense was pretty stout last year. Take him off the front and I think they lose 2 maybe 3 ballgames and mallard Creek gets 50 on them. He changed the way Cox called the game and changed blocking schemes as well.

If he isn't the best then he is probably top 10 and at that point you are really splitting hairs. I think he was the best player in NC last year as a junior. Certainly the best I saw.

HOPE HE STAYS HOME!!

Best player i saw last year was the do everything player at Hough. I think he played corner, receiver, Rb, Wildcat qb and special teams. Dude was the best player period on that team. I think he was the best player on the field against Mallard Creek as well. Kid got superstar written all over him.

Colon and the big DLineman from Asheville was the best d tackles i saw last year. Colon technique along with power is unmatched in 4a. The kid from Asheville is Holti Notta all over again.

Thought the kid from Havelock, OlB was the #1 player in the nation 3 months ago??

The qb from Cuthbertson may be the best qb i seen since Leak (i was in middle school then) but you get my point Lawrence is good very good. I agree. But the best?? Na i don't agree

Marquill Osborne (Hough) got Mossed often the second half against MC wr's. He is the best cb on Hough. YES! James Smith QB was hands down the best player on field in that game. Brought his team back from being down by 30 points with 7 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.

Keon Joyner literally disappeared in the Championship game against Crest. They made him look like a 2 star. That might answer your question why he dropped from #1.

Austin Kendall played against very inferior talent. If you believe he's the best you seen since Leak? You need to watch more football.

To compare Christian Colon to Dexter Lawrence is Comedy. :) He plays for 2 quarters and shuts it down. He was mauled and man handled during the Rivals and Under Armour Camps.

Hilarious to mention a kid as being a potential top player(Asheville) and you don't even know his name? He must have really impressed you. FYI! his name is Pete Leota and he's a OL.

Go back and do your homework Champ!

Last edited:
Kendall, Leota, and Osborne did impress me. Esp. Osborne. All the hype surrounding Hough and their seniors and this dude was a flatout star. Ok he got burned against MC. Who cares? He still held his own.

Kendall ia VERY good. Arm talent alone is the real deal. He's a slick athlete, doesn't he run a 4.6-4.7. Regardless i was very impressed with him.

Leota is such a force. Definitely didnt expect his football to be as good as it is.

Colon does not play 2 quarters and shut it down. Dude plays hard and technique very sharpe. You do your homework before you comment on single moments of these players smdh. As i said Lawrence is a very good player. I just dont see him as #1. My opinion

You said Osoborne was the best player on the field against MC? He didn't do anything spectacular ..lol He held his own how? What did he do?
I reside in Charlotte. Colon is not a force and has been out of shape his entire career at INDY. I hear Coach Hardin has finally got him in shape.

You said Leota was one of the best DT's? He plays OT...LMAO! What were you watching?

What is a slick athlete? Never heard that eval before.....LMAO!

I have no clue who is #1, but the players you mentioned are not even close to Lawrence on the field
Just my opinion, but i actually watched them play. Except the DT Leota.. :)

Crazy that Lawrence is #1 and his DE teammate Xach Gill is rated in Rivals 250 for class of 2017. Have a feeling there are going to be some Wake County teams feeling the pain against that DL.

Like Osbourne a lot... Explosive athlete. Also like Kendall. Colon not even the best DT in his own conference last year let alone the state or country. Gap controller with some upside if he gets the motor running.

All of the 3 above are good to great football players. The kind that NC turns out just about every year now. Lot of potential.

Lawrence is a once every 10 year kind of kid which is why his services are coveted by every school in the country. Difference maker on the next level and immediate impact guy. Not quite Clowney but close.

Like Osbourne a lot... Explosive athlete. Also like Kendall. Colon not even the best DT in his own conference last year let alone the state or country. Gap controller with some upside if he gets the motor running.

All of the 3 above are good to great football players. The kind that NC turns out just about every year now. Lot of potential.

Lawrence is a once every 10 year kind of kid which is why his services are coveted by every school in the country. Difference maker on the next level and immediate impact guy. Not quite Clowney but close.

Saw DL in person at a basketball game and he looked NFL sized as a high school junior. Wherever he ends up is going to have one heckuva DT for 3 years.

I've never attended any of the camps and don't keep up with the recruiting services all that much, but here's my uneducated, watched-it-happen take on things...

I watched all-state DT Jalen Cousar from Butler - who had one of the most explosive first steps for a guy his size (6'-1" 295 lbs) that you're ever going to see on the high school level - wreak havoc for a quarter in the MC backfield during the teams' first meeting last year. MC then adjusted their blocking schemes where they started pulling and trapping Cousar on some plays and straight up double teaming him on others, and they largely neutralized him for the next two quarters. The 4th qtr, too, although the 90+ degree temps that day were going to do their number either way.

In the state title game, MC tried single blocking, double teaming and pulling and trapping all...but nothing really seemed to work in that game. MC would get Lawrence blocked good on one play, but then Lawrence would beat two blockers and blow a play up on the next. He'd beat a straight double team on one play, and then he'd beat a trap block on the next. This went on pretty much the entire game. He made a serious believer out of me watching that performance, because MC's linemen aren't exactly chopped liver (for those of you who live under a rock, 3 of MC's returning linemen who played in that title game have SEC scholarship offers at the moment). I don't think I've ever seen that many quality linemen have that much trouble getting one player blocked before.

I've never attended any of the camps and don't keep up with the recruiting services all that much, but here's my uneducated, watched-it-happen take on things...

I watched all-state DT Jalen Cousar from Butler - who had one of the most explosive first steps for a guy his size (6'-1" 295 lbs) that you're ever going to see on the high school level - wreak havoc for a quarter in the MC backfield during the teams' first meeting last year. MC then adjusted their blocking schemes where they started pulling and trapping Cousar on some plays and straight up double teaming him on others, and they largely neutralized him for the next two quarters. The 4th qtr, too, although the 90+ degree temps that day were going to do their number either way.

In the state title game, MC tried single blocking, double teaming and pulling and trapping all...but nothing really seemed to work in that game. MC would get Lawrence blocked good on one play, but then Lawrence would beat two blockers and blow a play up on the next. He'd beat a straight double team on one play, and then he'd beat a trap block on the next. This went on pretty much the entire game. He made a serious believer out of me watching that performance, because MC's linemen aren't exactly chopped liver (for those of you who live under a rock, 3 of MC's returning linemen who played in that title game have SEC scholarship offers at the moment). I don't think I've ever seen that many quality linemen have that much trouble getting one player blocked before.
+1
Front Page Quality

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT