ADVERTISEMENT

CPC Preseason run down... Rankings

CPC4LIFE

Jul 31, 2010
It should be a wild season in the CPC and I have 3 favorites to win the Title

First of all, I'm a West Forsyth Fan and they have a tremendous offensive nucleus led by 3 year starting QB Darion Slade who carries multiple offers. West has virtually the entire offense back for 2015; extremely talented at the skilled positions with Jordan Terry, Schiem Lindsay and Cooper Larue, son of Rusty Larue as WR's They have two speedy, hard nose RB's that are instant impact in sophomore Marcus Caldwell & Junior Jerome Warren. The O-Line has Zavier Hensley, Kyad Agha & Evan Bentley and some talented young guns that know how to block, how to win.

Now the defense, it took some serious losses to graduation and replacing All-CPC players Jalen Dalton(UNC), Luke Hedrick(Navy) Kedlin Huntley(Guilford College) left huge holes to fill. They return 3 stars in DE John "Baer" Hunter who has 10+ offers, LB Antonio Booe and LB Tyki Lawson Oates but they'll break in a new secondary and that's why I can't pick them outright 1st place but one of my favorites to win the CPC.

North Davidson lost Shy Tuttle(Tennessee) & Josh Thomas(WSSU) but they are still loaded with McKoy and Joe Butts, make them a favorite every year because of great coaching and reloading. A sure fire favorite...

Mt Tabor was young last year and it showed with erratic play on the field but they are talented. Have one of the best WR in the country in Divine Deablo. Make them a favorite.

Reagan HS lost QB Jake Easter to App St. He torched defenses and they are still the Defending CPC Champs. They also lost my favorite WR to NC State Chandler Belk who's stats were off the charts. Coach McGee is the best coach in the CPC so it's going to be fun to watch them rebuild. Don't be surprised when McGee develops another great QB. I got them 4th...but they are a great sleeper.

RJR- hard times for a traditional power house of many years ago. 5th place

David Co- I think the program has hit rock bottom. It's dissension among coaches and parents. Cade Carney has transferred and I see multiple problems for this traditional power house. It could be a long year... One of the best, most rabid fanbases deserve to be on top again. 6th place

Parkland...well it's just a matter of one more year of torcher for the Mustangs before they drop to 3A. Last place

Last edited:
CPC, I saw over on MaxPreps that Darriel Brown and KJ Henry are on the WF roster as well. That's a couple of nice additions. Brown's fast as lightning and Henry's a potential D-1 recruit (IMO).

Also, slightly off topic, but you guys are going to be real fun to watch in basketball. Slade, Brown, Henry, LaRue....that's a pretty formidable lineup in the public school ranks.

All I can say is DC will finish better then 6th place. I know DC is having problems but the luck and tradition will always over come the bad. With a beefer non conference schedule I see a better result. We didn't lose the WRs talent that we had. Lost 2 guys and that's it. 22 men on the field. I'm sure Davie will come to play and will bring Fans. We shall retalk this topic mid November.

Parkland will not finish last. They picked up some DL from NE Guilford, a QB from RJR and Kendal Dean from Carver another player from out of state. And if I remember last year they were all juniors, Soph and Freshman team, lastly looks like they may have a full varsity roster 50 players and the will help. Not going to challenge for a title but they may have enough to pass RJR and challenge Davie

All I can say is the DC coaching staff has to do a better job they are to predictable with the offense. It's been a tough couple of years for DC. I hope I'm wrong but I think DC we see how much Cade meant to this team but hopefully we've got some studs moving up to fill spots. COACHES HAVE TO DO A BETTER JOB FOR THESE PLAYERS.

You are Correct "Chute Box Hero"

I Just read some articles, even called some few folks on this cat KJ Henry(who has offers) transferred to West Forsyth from Forsyth Country Day...Bursting on the scene as we speak! What a steal, 6'5 200lb Sophomore DE who stars in football and basketball.

Darriell Brown another Forsyth Country Day student who transferred to West Forsyth; considered a ferocious hitter! Will easily fill holes in the secondary. Another star in basketball & football.

LB Tiki Lawson Oates will see plenty of time at Strong Safety, he has double digit interceptions in his career.. With his size, it's his natural college position. He's fast..interesting prospect!

You are Correct "Chute Box Hero"

I Just read some articles, even called some few folks on this cat KJ Henry(who has offers) transferred to West Forsyth from Forsyth Country Day...Bursting on the scene as we speak! What a steal, 6'5 200lb Sophomore DE who stars in football and basketball.

Darriell Brown another Forsyth Country Day student who transferred to West Forsyth; considered a ferocious hitter! Will easily fill holes in the secondary. Another star in basketball & football.

LB Tiki Lawson Oates will see plenty of time at Strong Safety, he has double digit interceptions in his career.. With his size, it's his natural college position. He's fast..interesting prospect!
Do you think the hiring of Rusty Larue for BB helped?

That's good to hear Elcato,

If Parkland can field 50 players and they've brought in a few quality players from other schools, especially at QB...then I'm thrilled to see that they will be more competitive.

Last edited:
In the short time of being the West Forsyth basketball coach, Rusty Larue has brought a ton to the table in basketball and football. It was a super-hire, his daughter is also a standout basketball player.

Last edited:
I would like to correct myself, Kedlin Huntley who scored a TD in the EAST vs WEST Allstar game will be attending Guilford College not WSSU. North Davidson's Josh Thomas will be attending WSSU.

DC will be better they play HARD! Lots of respect to them.
Yea Easter torched defenses except when it counted vs Catholic lol
Mt Tabor will be pretty darn good too. They always seem to have HUGE linemen.

DC will be better they play HARD! Lots of respect to them.
Yea Easter torched defenses except when it counted vs Catholic lol
Mt Tabor will be pretty darn good too. They always seem to have HUGE linemen.

I've had the pleasure of seeing Mt Tabor the last couple years in the New Bridge Bank Jamboree since NW Guilford always goes against them I try to get out and see that one. You're correct their team is one of the biggest HS teams year in and year out I've ever seen. Even their JV kids look like they are a High School team playing middle school teams at that Jamboree every year. Then it seems as if NW moves the ball with ease against Tabor. I know its only a scrimmage and I keep hearing how good Tabor will be this year then all I hear about is the really talented receiver. Not trying to talk trash just really interested in what else do they have coming back because I'm really looking forward to seeing NW and Tabor go at it again.

in 1988 Al Brown was left out of the playoffs and West Forsyth was also sent home after the regular season. It's hard to imagine this day and age that a co-conference champion would not be in the playoffs. Back in 1988, there were 94 4A schools and only 32 playoff berths. There were 12 4A and 1 3A/4A conference (Mountain Athletic Conference...only AC Reynolds, Tuscola and Asheville played 4A ball) back in those years. From 1985-1988, each conference had two teams guaranteed to be in the playoffs, including the Mountain Athletic Conference. That left only 6 other playoff spots to fill.

Schools that have been members of the CPC since1969 (by county):

Forsyth County
R.J. Reynolds 1969-present
Simon Atkins 1969-1970 (pre-consolidation years)
East Forsyth 1969-1984
North Forsyth 1969-1984
Parkland 1969-1972, 1985-1992, 2013-present
West Forsyth 1969-1972, 1985-present
Mount Tabor 1985-2000, 2005-present
Reagan 2009-present

Guilford County
Ben Smith 1973-1984
Walter H. Page 1973-1984
High Point Central 1973-1984
James B. Dudley 1973-1976, 1989-1992
Grimsley 1973-1976, 1989-1992

Cabarrus County
A.L. Brown 1977-1980, 1985-1988

Rowan County
South Rowan 1985-2008
East Rowan 2005-2006

Davie County
Davie County 1985-present

Davidson County
North Davidson 1985-1988, 1993-1996, 2001-present

Iredell County
South Iredell 2001-2002

Stokes County
South Stokes, 1993-1998

Conference Champions, 1969-2013
1969: R.J. Reynolds, Simon Atkins, East Forsyth
1970: R.J. Reynolds, Simon Atkins
1971: North Forsyth
1972: North Forsyth
1973: R.J. Reynolds
1974: Ben Smith
1975: East Forsyth
1976: R.J. Reynolds, Walter H. Page, East Forsyth
1977: East Forsyth, Walter H. Page
1978: R.J. Reynolds, North Forsyth
1979: High Point Central, Walter H. Page
1980: Walter H. Page
1981: East Forsyth
1982: East Forsyth
1983: Walter H. Page
1984: Walter H. Page
1985: Parkland
1986: West Forsyth
1987: A.L. Brown
1988: Parkland, A.L. Brown, R. J. Reynolds, West Forsyth
1989: West Forsyth
1990: Grimsley, West Forsyth
1991: Grimsley, West Forsyth
1992: West Forsyth
1993: Mount Tabor
1994: West Forsyth
1995: West Forsyth, Mount Tabor
1996: Mount Tabor
1997: Mount Tabor
1998: Mount Tabor
1999: Davie County
2000: R.J. Reynolds, West Forsyth, South Rowan
2001: South Rowan, North Davidson, Davie County
2002: West Forsyth
2003: Davie County, West Forsyth
2004: Davie County
2005: Mount Tabor, Davie County, West Forsyth
2006: Davie County, West Forsyth, Mount Tabor
2007: Mount Tabor, Davie County
2008: Mount Tabor
2009: R. J. Reynolds
2010: Mount Tabor
2011: Mount Tabor, Davie County
2012: North Davidson
2013: West Forsyth

State Champions:
1971: North Forsyth
1979: High Point Central
1980: Walter H. Page
1983: Walter H. Page

State Runner-Ups:
1969: Simon Atkins
1973: Ben Smith
1982: Walter H. Page
1990: West Forsyth
2007: Mount Tabor
2010: Davie County

Tabor also state runner up in 2003. Tabor also four straight Metro titles from 2000-2004

I wouldn't say the CPC is loaded, but the close proximity of all the schools certainly makes for good rival games. I would guess all current schools are within 20 miles of each other.

I guess that is better way to word my last statement Mr. Sportsnut. Leaves a lot of choices of games to attend

It must be like the dessert when football season is over....This is the way it feels around here
lonely_in_the_dessert_2_by_broshsara-d3hf341.jpg

Awesome run down.

I will be very interested to see how Norths offensive line will look this year.

Saw ND scrimmage today against SWG. Good competitive. ND had some speed and SWG looks improved over past years.

We scrimmaged RJR last night. Lot better coached than last year and they run an offense they can handle somewhat now.

Still got a way's to go but I see them winning more than 1 game possibly due to their RB. He looked really good.

Saw North Davidson scrimmage East Forsyth tonight. North scored 5 or 6 times and East scored 2 or 3 times. North's star RB Kennedy McCoy didn't even suit up. QB looked good for ND, and the WR's and RB's did really well also.

Saw North Davidson scrimmage East Forsyth tonight. North scored 5 or 6 times and East scored 2 or 3 times. North's star RB Kennedy McCoy didn't even suit up. QB looked good for ND, and the WR's and RB's did really well also.[/QUOTe

Rameses, how did ND's defense look and OL look. I know they lost Tuttle on D but had a few good players returning at LB and DB. I think they have about three OL returning from last year, is that right?

Saw Reagan tonight against Carver and I think they have another Easter at QB. First play pass to end zone touchdown ,2 plays another touchdown.

BK18, I know coaches concern to start the season is the defense, however, I thought they did a pretty good job last night. There were a few times where EF was at the goal line and North's defense held strong. If I counted right, the Knights have something like 4 or 5 freshman on the varsity, and they are some big kids to be 9th graders. One was playing DE and he was listed at 6'3" 230lbs. One thing that disturbed me though, I saw a few kids (probably not starters) on defense that took dives when they could have made easy tackles. They were smaller kids, and it seemed they didn't want anything at all to do with contact. There is a way to correct that, and that is to watch the game from the sideline.

We all know how scrimmages go and they really have no barring at all on how a season will go, but I was pleasantly surprised by how well the Knights looked against EF and I am looking forward to see how they perform against High Point Central next week.

BTW, in the first scrimmage, North destroyed West Davidson. I have no idea why the Dragons want to play North every year in this jamboree.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT