ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News!!

Heard that last week all teachers in Stanly County school system were sent an email stating that they were no longer allowed to give students grades on anything that's lower than a 50. I guess that's one way of improving grades..don't give 0's to students not completing their assignments, just give them a 50. This is what is sad with the world today.

KW23 are you serious? LMAO!

If that's true, I can guarantee that laws are being broken here. I'm going to ask around and see if this is a true statement.

Anyway, like I said, there will be football next year at Albemarle just like I said all along....on top of that, they will not close Albemarle for some magnet school, guarantee.

The bad thing about this, Albemarle will suck really big "Balls" this upcoming season. They will beat the "Three Blind Mice" but they will be terrible this upcoming season. This situation has taking a toll on the kids as well and I don't think they will be as competitive as they were last year with the turn of events....not without a "Good Coach". But I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Yeah I think there will be more question marks than answers this coming season. I'm beginning to also think there will be football this fall sway. The question is what kind of team will we have. Don't even know if Talbert will be the HC again this year. Like you said what kind of toll has all this had on the kids that will play. Was going to be a tough year anyhow with losing 20 srs. I just hope that Talbert will be back as I thought he did a good job last year. Besides who else would take the job with the possibility of the school closing down the road. It seems to me that we are all hanging in limbo.

I expect Talbert to be the HC. I do not think the resumes will fly in for this job with top notch candidates. Low pay, dwindling numbers, and the political turmoil in the county to go with the unknown.

Most people I spoke with last season expected 2016 to be a down season before the potential changes came out.

In 2009 Butler won a state 4A football title, their first after playing second fiddle to Indy since opening in 1997. The next school year Rocky River opened which moved 40% of their student body.

Reid Ross played in state 4A semifinals in 1981 and played its last season in 1984 (went 11-1 in 1983) before becoming a classical arts magnet school.

Williamston played Albemarle in the state big 1A title game after losing to Swain in small 1A in 2001. The school merged with three other Martin County schools into two high schools.

Probably one of the better known consolidations may be Dunn, Coats, and Erwin combining to form Triton for the 1985 school year.

There have been others were several smaller schools consolidated with other schools to form a larger school. Several schools that were closed had won recent state football or basketball titles. Pantego, John Wilkinson, Maxton, Elm City, et al. Robeson, Henderson, Beaufort, Martin, and Bladen counties among others all went through this.

Not sure of the reasoning for the consolidations or closings in each case. It has been more common than most people realize.

This post was edited on 3/24 2:46 PM by btango

Buddy, Nobody.......

I hope we all kept video tapes of the good day's because those days are long gone. Football in Albemarle isn't like it used to be for some reason. I can honestly say that we are dealing with a younger generation that has no care in the world for our football program. I'm surprised that we had tons of support for our basketball program this year. I believe that it has been top notch support for the last three years. At one point, it was dead and now it's back to Pfeiffer. But like I said, we'll see how this situation goes.

This post was edited on 3/24 11:26 AM by sway1532

What has happened to football at Albemarle the last 20 years. We all know what Jack Gaster did. He brought us out of the awful years of the 70's and 80's. He gave us the glorious years of the 90's and earily 2000's. Then we lost him and Baxter Morris took over. I personally didn't like some of his coaching ideas, but at least he was there everyday in contact with the kids and kept the weight lifting program intact. He also had a couple of assistants they were also at the school every day. Then he left and Danny Akins took over. I thought we were set for many years to come, but he fell in love got married and all that changed. I really liked Danny and understand why he left. Then we had a train wreck occur, by the name of Seth Smith. I thought he loved the football program at Albemarle and maybe he did but everything went bad wrong. Don't think he put himself into the program like I thought he would. The conditioning of the players went down hill fast and we all know what happened to him. Then the #'s started dwindling at the school, attendance at the games started falling off, the band almost ceased to exist, etc, etc. Then we had to get a new HC with the season almost upon us last year. So Doug Talbert takes over with no HC experience. However I thought he did an outstanding job all things considered. Last years team make a lot of progress during the season and I thought was in good shape for the playoffs. Then whamo we had to forfeit the season. What else could possibility happen. Then whamo again. They start talking about closing the school down. Sway and I agree there will be football at Albemarle this fall, but what kind of football. That is the big question. If Talbert is the HC I think he will do a good job with the talent that he has. I'm sure the #'s will be down again and that will play a big part in our success or failure. I just wish the school board would make some kind of decision so we can all know where we stand. The clock is ticking!!!

All good points Buddy,

But I can assure you, Albemarle will suck next year. I said Albemarle would become competitive in 2016 with that special group of Freshman and Sophomores they had and the large number of Freshman coming in this year, but "Whamo" happened. lol. On top of that, Albemarle is not the most attracting city to live in and coach. 15 years ago yeah, but now...no.

You and your NCC better have you Scotch/Jack/Remey and Cigars ready for this upcoming season to take away the pain, because Albemarle is about to take some licks next season.

Guys who will they lose to other than west mont? there conference is incredibly weak to no fault of their own. They may not win 100 to 0 but they will still beat most teams in my opinion. I would say north but last time they won i think columbus was sailing the ocean blue.

KW I have been an Albemarle Supporter since 1951. That's probably more years than you are old. lol. However this coning season I have no idea what we will put on the field. Lots of ? marks so we'll just have to wait and see. I know you are an Albemarle hater and I don't have a problem with that. I have run into a lot of them over the years. However you seem to be like me a supporter of HS athletics. And for that reason I would love to meet up with you and discuss it. I know you come to some of the Albemarle games so next season if you make a game let me know and we can meet up. Go Dogs

It would be great to meet u buddy. I am a big fan of highschool athletics. You r correct i wasnt born till 1986 so i havent been a hater too long lol maybe next year when you all arent playing the 3 blind mice i could meet u before a game. I actually hope they dont shut albemarle down due to the fact that i love yalls stadium and how i can walk up and down the visitors side throughout the games instead of being stuck in a seat on the opposite 20yrd line when someone is bout to score 80yrds away from me. Lol plus i enjoy getting under sways skin and pissin him off on a regular basis. I have reasons why i dislike albemarle its not just because.

Sounds good KW. We'll pick a game, maybe the WM game or a nonconference game. I believe the WM game and at least one of the nonconference games will be at home. See you then.

I didn't know you cared so much for me KW....interesting....very interesting.

ASSUMING there will be football this year at AHS I am some what confused about the nonconference schedule. It was orginially to have been Thomasville and Mt Pleasant, but I think that has changed. I know we cancelled the Thomasville game and think I saw somewhere that we had replaced MP with Concord. Not sure why we would do that but anyway if somebody knows any different please post it.

Buddy, is the Thomasville game definitely cancelled? Unless I missed something, the thought here in Thomasville was that it is up in the air, with the Red Dogs seeking a back-up plan.

Don't know for sure oc, but I though it had been. Maybe it is a wait and see as we are all in Albemarle waiting to see what our school board does. We are kinda in "limbo' in Albemarle!

Concord?! That will be another Davidson Day score from 2 years ago LMAO!

Sleeh what do you think about the scheduling the last few years playing Central Cabarrus, Davidson Day, and now Concord?

I had a principal that told me one time "he would send a bus a long ways for an early win.". I understand gate needs, but you can lose a lot of confidence if you open with an unbeatable foe. It depends on where your program is at the time. If I am SD, I am scheduling Cape Hatteras or whoever gives me a chance. If I am West Montgomery, I schedule someone much tougher.

I remember back in our hayday Jack tried to schedule Concord, Kannapolis, Anson County and they all said no. Guess now that we're no longer a powerhouse the're all lining up to play us. It does make for a good gate though.

If they play concord buddy i will definately be there. Thats where i am an alumni from. Concord lost alot to graduation it wont be a big blowout like yall suspect. Concord wont be as strong this year as they were the last 2. I actually think it would be a good game.

Tango, you don't have to ask Sleeh for an answer...hell I'll answer this question....

The competition is "Great" the only thing about it, we've been going thru a down year the past 2 years and not only due to players. We've been through Three coaches in "Three" years, with no outlook of getting better. I would have loved to see Albemarle play these teams 5-6 years ago (Championship years) or even in 2007-2008, But unfortunately we didn't. Playing these teams will help us, but a team like South Davidson doesn't benefit from playing these types of teams (no stones thrown here, so where was I). Yeah, the competition is great! even though it will be total domination....Concord who is a Power House in 3A is going to come to town and mop the floor with Albemarle. Hell Concord whips up on Central Cab all the time! and could easily bet DD. Now we have to face them....KW get your Popcorn ready!

IF, the most overused word in the English language, IF the school board leaves us like we are and IF Talbert comes back as HC I really believe in a year or two we can get back to greatness. The coming season could be a downer what with losing 20 srs, low numbers on the jv's last year and ? marks about assissant coaches, but I think Talbert is the key to our success. I was really impressed with what he did last year "except the forfeits" and IF the school is allowed to stay open for the forseeable future we can start on the road back next year. But like I said. Lots and lots of "ifs".

Our J.V. had more "Athletes" than varsity honestly. J.V. QB and half back was impressive. I watched them play against North Moore @Home and they were legit. With the turn of events, not sure where their heads are at. I will get in contact with 85 to see how things are looking.

I took a look at Concord's roster from last year and they lost about 17 seniors from a squad of 45. They also had 19 assistant coaches on their staff. Why would they want to schedule this team now? Can someone tell me why? Did Thomasville or Mt. Pleasant back out when they heard of the school possibly closing?

All I know dogs9 is what I heard that we cancelled the Thomasville game and replaced MT Pleasant with Concord. Don't know any of the if's, why's or whatever's. Don't know if some of it is true, all of it is true or none of it is it. But I can almost promise you it has to do with us staying open or closing!

Buddy i confirmed with a concord buddy of mine that they r trying to play albemarle so the rumor u heard is true. No location is set in stone yet but they definately r gonna play unless alb closes

The Concord game was contracted and is on the schedule. Was told this in February by the Concord HC.

Do not know if the papers were ever signed with Thomasville but Albemarle told them to look for other options.

Concord will be down this year but still a tough game for Albemarle.

Ok So Concord is a done deal. Then if Thomasville is a ? and they find somebody else, that leaves Albemarle with a date to fill. Does this sound about right.

12 weeks, 11 games. I think the Thomasville game was early in the season so they may be able to find someone. If T-ville is still open they can probably put that back together. I expect Thomasville may prefer to find a two year deal, if they have not, so they are not scrambling for a game next year. If I am Thomasville I want the home game in 2015 because they do not know if they will get the return game in 2016.

Concord was a done deal in February. Do not know if anything has changed.

Will see what I can find out on these two from the opponents.

Thomasville and Albemarle was orginially scheduled as the first game of the season. The endownment game I presume. So if this doesn't work out should be pretty easy for both teams to find someone else.

I don't know exactly what it means or if it means anything, but I just noticed the posting for the coach at NS in another thread. I would think if they are going to hire someone there, the plan is to keep what you got for another year.

Yeah it's beginning to look like we may get at least one more year, foot. After that who knows?

Albemarle will be there this year and the next....

As far as North Stanly goes, that's a ? mark. Looks like to me they'll be back in the "Dungeon".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT