ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News!!

Btango do you know what kind of numbers West and North could absorb as they are the 2 fullest schools.

I saw what nation wrote so I will go with that. West is not at permanent structure capacity. I do not have the info but I am thinking they were about 96%. If you start allowing students to go to West is it first come first served or a draw for the seat. I do not like open enrollment and I definitely do not think North and West should have seats available for transfers.

North is a little above 85% if I remember correctly. Think they were had about 680 seats in the building and I think they were about 580 students.

Reactions: Buddy Rich
I have been told that at the end of the school year Albemarle had the smallest enrollment in the county dropping below South. Is this true?

From what I heard that once they get the kids who want to transfer in it will be a draw unless there are enough seats. For example if NS had 120 kids want to transfer in then they would draw for the 110 seats.

With the new principal coming on campus today I feel pretty sure we will have a new hc by the end of the day. If not surely by tomorrow. I think the man they have in mind only needs the principal's approval. If that doesn't work we have a back up plan.

Reactions: bulldog nation2014
We'll be good.

Buddy, after seeing some of the players, would you still say they are small?

The thing that struck me sway is you can tell from a glance they have been hitting the weight room hard. wow. Not near as small as I was expecting. I am also hearing that we could be a qb away from a state championship.

Albemarle is always a player or 2 away from a SC

Hopefully when everyone comes out, we will have 30 players hopefully. I wonder if we will have a J.V. this year? If not, this will be the first time in forever.

It looks like the numbers being used for the 85% are using the mobile units as West Stanly is listed as having seven seats available. I thought the school was near building capacity.

Not a big fan of this. Open enrollment is another nail in the coffin of AHS. As I have written, I think this is a tear down to where there will be no option but to make drastic changes. I think AHS and SSHS should be open for transfers. One year sit out for sports unless you are a freshman or sophomore and play only on the JV teams or a freshman who starts at the school day one.

For all the people that have complained about WS Prep or Charlotte Catholic over the years Stanly County just became part of the problem.

http://www.thesnaponline.com/news/l...cle_0c2a4804-15f9-11e5-9268-3328497f01eb.html

We have been headed down this road to destruction ever since merger. School board after school board has led us to this point in time. This board just happens to be the one that will seal the coffin. Goodbye AHS and SS. That's what they want and that's what will happen eventually. This county is so backward it's not even funny. Open Enrollment is just a joke in the purest sense. Kissie, Kissie school board.

Buddy it has been more than the school boards. Albemarle and Stanly County have not did a very good job of maximizing their potential in many ways. I really think the biggest push in this county to get people is to use the natural areas we have and also the available mill space with local power grid and water system. Another thing to remember is you have to give to get. Make it worthwhile for a company that will bring people to the area in addition to jobs. It is almost like a "you cannot get there from here" scenario.

If the school board wanted to close Albemarle and South Stanly, it would have already happened.

The Commissioners have underfunded the school system ever since the merger. The mediocrity of test scores has a direct correlation to not providing adequate funds to the schools. Right now everyone is having to wait on a sales tax referendum that may or may not pass. If it doesn't pass, I wonder if the same people criticizing the current Board will be pointing fingers at the county commissioners. Probably not.

Btango. Another topic for you. Is there anyway to restore downtown Albemarle? I have seen halfhearted attemps by the DDC, but that's all they were. Just think after 2pm the only place to eat is "off the square" and the new place in the old lorch plumbing building. We now have beer and liquor by the drink, but where do you go to get one at night? A lot of the buildings are in disrepair some ready to cave in "old center theater". The only buildings that look nice are the government buildings and the banks. There is always construction going but what kind. Their always putting in new sidewalks. For WHO. I understand both Concord and Salisbury have brought their downtowns back. Why can't we?

BN. Saw where the new principal was to have a "meet and greet" last night at the school. Just wondering if you went?

BN. Saw where the new principal was to have a "meet and greet" last night at the school. Just wondering if you went?
No I couldn't make it unfortunately. I was in Charlotte working with kids last night. I was reaching out to parents today to see how it went. From what I hear he is a pretty stand up guy.

No I couldn't make it unfortunately. I was in Charlotte working with kids last night. I was reaching out to parents today to see how it went. From what I hear he is a pretty stand up guy.
I spoke to one of my kids who went and she really liked him. Said he seemed really nice and intelligent but thought he would do a good job.

Btango. Another topic for you. Is there anyway to restore downtown Albemarle? I have seen halfhearted attemps by the DDC, but that's all they were. Just think after 2pm the only place to eat is "off the square" and the new place in the old lorch plumbing building. We now have beer and liquor by the drink, but where do you go to get one at night? A lot of the buildings are in disrepair some ready to cave in "old center theater". The only buildings that look nice are the government buildings and the banks. There is always construction going but what kind. Their always putting in new sidewalks. For WHO. I understand both Concord and Salisbury have brought their downtowns back. Why can't we?

Buddy I have not been in downtown Salisbury in awhile. Concord downtown is nothing special although they do have a WhataBurger there! Seriously it is sparse like Albemarle after closing time.

No idea what could help in Albemarle but some of the buildings are becoming very dilapidated it appears. One problem is ordinances are pretty tight on every little thing. You have got to give people a reason to locate a business downtown or give them a nice incentive such as tax deduction or rebate. I do not know what to do but you have to have jobs to get people to spend money beyond standard living expenses.

The reason downtown Albemarle is the way it is.....taxes. JD Shuckers was a decent restaurant that catered to all age groups and music preferences. You had the board walk and you had Pontiac Point. All of which is closed from the "Lime Light" now. Also violence played a part.

Now when you talk about commerce whether it be office's or whatever, you have to attract these businesses or lower taxes to bring them. But the way our school system is set up, lowering taxes is not an option.

The reason downtown Albemarle is the way it is.....taxes. JD Shuckers was a decent restaurant that catered to all age groups and music preferences. You had the board walk and you had Pontiac Point. All of which is closed from the "Lime Light" now. Also violence played a part.

Now when you talk about commerce whether it be office's or whatever, you have to attract these businesses or lower taxes to bring them. But the way our school system is set up, lowering taxes is not an option.

I'm sure that Melvin Poole, Justin Burr, Gene McIntyre, and the rest of the tools would disagree with you, but you are 100% correct. How can you lower taxes when you don't fully fund your schools? Poole, Burr, and McIntyre would rather play the "blame game" than solve the problem.

If the tax referendum doesn't pass, and if it's up to Poole, Burr, and McIntyre it won't pass, you can kiss some schools goodbye.

With the new principal coming on campus today I feel pretty sure we will have a new hc by the end of the day. If not surely by tomorrow. I think the man they have in mind only needs the principal's approval. If that doesn't work we have a back up plan.

So who is it?

He did. The question is will they get him some local help. The last four coaches haven't stayed long. To keep him, hire him some help.

It's my understanding Coach Williams from Richmond may still be available. Get him to come too and that could be a great tandem and good starting point with a staff. Of course, I'm not privy to as much info as some are about coaches.

It appears the problem is logistics for teaching position or how to pay. Hope it works out as I think this coach is the perfect fit for AHS and what the kids need but there is more to hiring a coach than just being the coach. This is NC not Texas or SC or Georgia.

Reactions: bulldog nation2014
This may end my part of plan b...but, I've seldom worried about opinions.... I was told by the county office that Stanly was not fond of hiring retirees. The supplement for a community coach would be 2600...plus a small supplement for summer work. The system wants a full time teacher. I get that, but coach "A" as a retiree has to juggle the earning limits the state places on all retirees...along with the option of a full time job. To go back to full time will cost you about $30,000 a year compared to getting a part time option. (I was told part time WILL NOT be considered.). I wish him the best...and it seems they are backing off of what I was told. Leadership costs something. Being up front and honest...

Don't be shocked, Rat! Leadership "being up front & honest" is an EXTREMELY rare commodity in Stanly Co!!

Sorry it didn't work out nipit. You are one of my favorite people. Think you might go back to SC and teach this fall? Maybe we can meet up for a few games this fall. I know how much you love coaching.

Nothing bad in my post...just saying the county is not happily helping recruit coach Stone if what they told me is true. I never interviewed...just sharing the background of the current " position" on retirees, as it was told to me.

A new coach won't be hired until after the new principal starts from my understanding. Which is Somewhere around July 1st

Albemarle wants him but they must make the logistics work. Some people may not like the plan to make it work and that can derail things.

I honestly think that SCS needs to take a look at Albemarle and realize that yes money is important but in the grand scheme this is not a huge amount of money and this hire could be a huge difference maker not only on the field but also for a lot of young men on a much larger level.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT