ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News!!

Exactly, the move was right in front of them and they made a hard right. I mean open enrollment lol and now you have people complaining about athletics and how it benefits sports only. Smh what's surprising is they included the mobile units in the capacity numbers. I believe I am in the same group as sway lol just sit back and watch the show.

On a brighter note I can't wait for football to start, nothing like HS sports.

Hey guys. No matter who the HC is we are going to have football at Albemarle this fall. Only a few short months ago that was in doubt. I for one am counting my blessings!

Reactions: bulldog nation2014
The ACES of Stanly County posted on Facebook this morning that Dr. Griffin is not presenting facts about their proposal. ACES has done research and confirmed that redistricting is the only way to fix the enrollment!

"
We can only hope that the Stanly County Board of Education and Dr. Griffin are reading the many studies available regarding school size, perceived efficiencies, curriculum, and consolidation. It is very clear to ACES that perhaps the most logical improvement that should take place in Stanly County is to simply realign student attendance lines. If such action were to be implemented with some degree of success, it would appear that all Stanly Co. schools would be very close to ideal size.

Below you will find Three(3) research reports from NC Dept of Public Instruction (NCDPI), US Dept of Education, and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation that attempt to answer questions on school size. Although there are many others, we have listed just three as many arrive at the same conclusion.

ACES is not interested in making assumptions, rather we try to diligently research topics and gather facts. To that end, we expect Dr. Griffin to adequately defend her proposals and support them with facts. In our opinion, Dr. Griffin's Reinvestment Plan for the Future is not supported based on research that we have conducted.

Please take the time to become as knowledgeable on the subject as you can. In the end, we think that a majority of you will agree that our Stanly Co geography and rural community based school structure should not be altered.

The most logical next step is to redraw student attendance lines."

Reactions: Buddy Rich
I'll bet money that Dr Griffin and this board are getting a lot of pressure from the western end of the county to NOT redistrict.

The ACES of Stanly County posted on Facebook this morning that Dr. Griffin is not presenting facts about their proposal. ACES has done research and confirmed that redistricting is the only way to fix the enrollment!

"
We can only hope that the Stanly County Board of Education and Dr. Griffin are reading the many studies available regarding school size, perceived efficiencies, curriculum, and consolidation. It is very clear to ACES that perhaps the most logical improvement that should take place in Stanly County is to simply realign student attendance lines. If such action were to be implemented with some degree of success, it would appear that all Stanly Co. schools would be very close to ideal size.

Below you will find Three(3) research reports from NC Dept of Public Instruction (NCDPI), US Dept of Education, and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation that attempt to answer questions on school size. Although there are many others, we have listed just three as many arrive at the same conclusion.

ACES is not interested in making assumptions, rather we try to diligently research topics and gather facts. To that end, we expect Dr. Griffin to adequately defend her proposals and support them with facts. In our opinion, Dr. Griffin's Reinvestment Plan for the Future is not supported based on research that we have conducted.

Please take the time to become as knowledgeable on the subject as you can. In the end, we think that a majority of you will agree that our Stanly Co geography and rural community based school structure should not be altered.

The most logical next step is to redraw student attendance lines."
And boom of course OPEN ENROLLMENT!!!!! Where's Earnhardt when you need him to explain lol jk.

Hey Go Bulldogs!!!!! Looking forward to watching the show :)

I'm telling you guys, this is clear SABOTAGE!!! by the BOE! I've said this months ago....people will learn to listen....they will learn...

Last time I checked Earnhardt AHS when it was ACS was doing pretty well even has $$ in the kitty. In regards to my comment it was simple. This board has done 0 in favor of AHS and SS if they were actually a unbiased board why do open enrollment instead of going ahead and redistricting. It's no secret that this decision was not done to put stanly county schools in a better position it was to appease a few. Just out of the blue boom open enrollment lol come on man.

It hasn't been ACS since the mid-1990's. Since then, the school has been going downhill. This current board had nothing whatsoever to do with the deterioration of the school. This is 2015, not 1995.

Don't be scared of change: embrace change. If not, the Stanly County mindset that mediocrity is acceptable will just dismantle the school even further.

I have to agree that the past school boards are more to blame than the current one. The shooting at Albemarle should have never happened because the student who did the shooting should have never been able to attend Albemarle or any other public school. He was kicked out at West Montgomery for stabbing another student the year before. I don't know who made the decision to let him enroll at Albemarle but clearly he should have been enrolled at some type of alternative school or jail.

Exactly. The past school boards are to blame, not the current board. Everyone should be complaining about how Albemarle high school is not performing well, but instead, the current board gets the blame because they have the guts to fix the problem. That's what I don't understand: the board is elected to fix problems with the schools, problems that do exist, and they are blamed for coming up with a proposal. Yes, this is merely proposals that have not been enacted. Drastic measures require drastic solutions.

As far as redistricting goes, the Board knows that redistricting can't occur before the sales tax referendum is on the ballot. The chances of passing the sales tax referendum in a very anti-tax county will only be more impaired by redistricting. If redistricting occurs beforehand the Board will really make a bunch of people mad.

The current school board has been an advocate of improving education. Instead of embracing their efforts, you have policy hacks that try to dismantle their efforts. HB 111 and HB 112 are perfect examples of why progress in Stanly County is such a struggle.

So they are fixing the problems? With open enrollment what problems would this fix? Will education be better because of it in our county schools? Ok what about student population will that fix it? Heck what about getting kids out of mobile units? Oh wait they included those so NS and WS are under the capacity limit that they tried to set at 90% lmao.

In regards to change I have 0 problem with change. What I do have a problem with Israel decision making that seems to only be there to benefit two schools in the county which has been MY problem with this BOE. Fix the problems ha when they start fixing them I will start giving credit. Remember unlike you I have kids in this school system and these moves do concern me for one simple reason this BOE has showed erratic and biased decision making that seem to only benefit a few. I have seen 0 evidence of them addressing the real problems out schools have. They put up two "ideas" that had 0 planning and research into them, they, out of the blue, brought open enrollment into the mix when the actual problem of student population is an easy fix. Redistrict student population is solved county wide this saving you money on transportation costs. Now you have more money to put forth towards educational opportunities at ALL of our high schools which is a huge issue that needs some thought on how to increase the expectations of these kids but heck we don't have people in charge who want to be held to a high standard so how does that reflect on our kids.

Exactly. The past school boards are to blame, not the current board. Everyone should be complaining about how Albemarle high school is not performing well, but instead, the current board gets the blame because they have the guts to fix the problem. That's what I don't understand: the board is elected to fix problems with the schools, problems that do exist, and they are blamed for coming up with a proposal. Yes, this is merely proposals that have not been enacted. Drastic measures require drastic solutions.

As far as redistricting goes, the Board knows that redistricting can't occur before the sales tax referendum is on the ballot. The chances of passing the sales tax referendum in a very anti-tax county will only be more impaired by redistricting. If redistricting occurs beforehand the Board will really make a bunch of people mad.

The current school board has been an advocate of improving education. Instead of embracing their efforts, you have policy hacks that try to dismantle their efforts. HB 111 and HB 112 are perfect examples of why progress in Stanly County is such a struggle.
In regards to policy hacks those only came to be because this BOE tried to blind side the communities. Once these were brought to the table along with our communities standing together they backed off. Go figure

Earnhardt I agree with you this is not 1995 and the mindset in Stanly County needs to change. We have the most "Backwards" set of people that I have ever met in my life and I grew up here....BUT,

I can easily tell you what needs to be done:

1. Offer more classes
2. Go out and ask for grants (There are plenty of them, hell ask Bill Gates why don't ya)
3. PAY THE TEACHERS
4. Redistrict the lines

The leaders in "Power" need to expand their resources or go out and find more. Attend seminars to learn how to keep the "Boat Afloat". The world we live in changes every day and in order to keep up with it, you must go out and find the latest trend to stay ahead of everyone else. You don't have to agree with me on this, but this is the truth. The past BOE were lame ducks, and this BOE will fall right behind them if they don't get their attitude together and admit that they were unprepared to handle the situation.

In regards to policy hacks those only came to be because this BOE tried to blind side the communities. Once these were brought to the table along with our communities standing together they backed off. Go figure

That's just rhetoric. The Board would have been criticized no matter what they propose if the proposal involves change.

Again, don't be scared of change: embrace it. This entire scare tactics against the Board trying to improve education reminds me of desegregation. Back then people were like "don't change my community school!".

Earnhardt I agree with you this is not 1995 and the mindset in Stanly County needs to change. We have the most "Backwards" set of people that I have ever met in my life and I grew up here....BUT,

1. Offer more classes
2. Go out and ask for grants (There are plenty of them, hell ask Bill Gates why don't ya)
3. PAY THE TEACHERS
4. Redistrict the lines

The leaders in "Power" need to expand their resources or go out and find more. Attend seminars to learn how to keep the "Boat Afloat". The world we live in changes every day and in order to keep up with it, you must go out and find the latest trend to stay ahead of everyone else. You don't have to agree with me on this, but this is the truth. The past BOE were lame ducks, and this BOE will fall right behind them if they don't get their attitude together and admit that they were unprepared to handle the situation.
Sway very very good point. How much good will it really do to spend the money on this great curriculum IF your teachers still can't teach it? Even with our current curriculum if we had better teachers who were paid like they should be 1) we will retain them rather than them going elsewhere and 2) our kids will be more engaged because our teachers are better.

Our schools are only as good as our teachers. To me that is where this improvement must begin.

1. Offer more classes
3. PAY THE TEACHERS
4. Redistrict the lines

Now this is a great reply. I agree with all four of your points. The key is to get that sales tax referendum passed. I want redistricting as much as anyone else, but redistricting will cause the county to vote against the referendum.

The open enrollment is nothing more than a stop gap measure, somewhat like a bandage. There could be some positive but very minimal effects from this policy.

Sway very very good point. How much good will it really do to spend the money on this great curriculum IF your teachers still can't teach it? Even with our current curriculum if we had better teachers who were paid like they should be 1) we will retain them rather than them going elsewhere and 2) our kids will be more engaged because our teachers are better.

Our schools are only as good as our teachers. To me that is where this improvement must begin.

Pay qualified people to teach and who want to teach, it's just that simple.

They are about to implement STEM in the schools, you don't want someone with no Information Technology background teaching these classes. To be honest, when took my oldest to Sylvan Learning Center here in Albemarle, I "freaking" grilled them! not to show what I knew, but to see how much they were qualified to teach. Every parent should do that to their child's teacher if you ask me, I may sound like I was being an a-hole, but I want to make sure these people in front my my children know what they are doing.

So what happens when and if the sales tax referendum fails? My guess is some finger pointing, led by the Melvin Pooles and Gene McIntyre's of the world. The County Commissioners, except for Peter Asciutto who is a man of character, will bury their collective heads in the sand. You see, the Commishes could raise property taxes, but they won't, even if it's for improving education. They all know that they will have their collective rear ends voted out of office if they did the unpopular but correct decision to raise property taxes.

The sales tax referendum is far from a done deal. Under ideal circumstances passage is at best 50/50. The Board knows this, and they also know that keeping the plans on the table keeps the commissioners honest.

Wow! You must have a low opinion of your teachers. Why don't you go ahead and close the school down since the teaching is so inferior to other schools.

Wow that's what you got from that comment? Well done. Let me simplify it for you. The better you pay, the better personnel you get. Additionally the easier it is to retain your good teachers. Was that simple enough or do I need to have my 6 yr old talk to you.

Exactly, the move was right in front of them and they made a hard right. I mean open enrollment lol and now you have people complaining about athletics and how it benefits sports only. Smh what's surprising is they included the mobile units in the capacity numbers. I believe I am in the same group as sway lol just sit back and watch the show.

That is not correct. I do not know why people keep saying that. All you have to do is use West Stanly as the gauge for that. The numbers listed had the school enrollment and the capacities listed with mobiles and without mobiles. The number used for West was was without the mobiles. They are not over building capacity currently.

Reactions: Earnhardt Forever
Last time I checked Earnhardt AHS when it was ACS was doing pretty well even has $$ in the kitty. In regards to my comment it was simple. This board has done 0 in favor of AHS and SS if they were actually a unbiased board why do open enrollment instead of going ahead and redistricting. It's no secret that this decision was not done to put stanly county schools in a better position it was to appease a few. Just out of the blue boom open enrollment lol come on man.

Just as EF said the previous boards started the downhill slide. I do not think this board is as anti AHS as people think but I do believe they think the best way to solve the problem is to blow it up big so people cannot refute the next moves. In order to get the redistricting they need some ammo and I think you will see AHS drop further in numbers with open enrollment and more families opting out.

Wow that's what you got from that comment? Well done. Let me simplify it for you. The better you pay, the better personnel you get. Additionally the easier it is to retain your good teachers. Was that simple enough or do I need to have my 6 yr old talk to you.

Your 6 year old probably has more reasoning skills than you do, so sure, why don't you put him or her on the line so he or she can explain to me your logic.

What a slap in the face to every teacher at your school. It's unbelievable that you think so low of your teachers.

Btango do you know what kind of numbers West and North could absorb as they are the 2 fullest schools.

That is not correct. I do not know why people keep saying that. All you have to do is use West Stanly as the gauge for that. The numbers listed had the school enrollment and the capacities listed with mobiles and without mobiles. The number used for West was was without the mobiles. They are not over building capacity currently.

You are right btango...anyone who believes in using logic will understand what you said. You may need to talk to someone's 6 year old to explain it to the illogical.

You are right btango...anyone who believes in using logic will understand what you said. You may need to talk to someone's 6 year old to explain it to the illogical.
One day Earnhardt I hope to meet you in person.

In regards to teachers and what I think of them. It's simple we have some good ones and not so good. If we had great teachers across the board Stanly county schools would be rated IMO higher by a large margin than what we are.

Earnhardt it may be less about the logic and more about your comprehension level.

I don't believe through open enrollment you will see a huge movement. I was told from the AHS side we would lose less than 10 kids, not sure about those transferring in. I also read where a couple of coaches had already spoken to two students about playing a sport for their school. I'm not sure who or what school this coach is at but I do not believe in recruiting HS school kids for your HS program. That's ridiculous.

One day Earnhardt I hope to meet you in person.

In regards to teachers and what I think of them. It's simple we have some good ones and not so good. If we had great teachers across the board Stanly county schools would be rated IMO higher by a large margin than what we are.

Earnhardt it may be less about the logic and more about your comprehension level.

I don't believe through open enrollment you will see a huge movement. I was told from the AHS side we would lose less than 10 kids, not sure about those transferring in. I also read where a couple of coaches had already spoken to two students about playing a sport for their school. I'm not sure who or what school this coach is at but I do not believe in recruiting HS school kids for your HS program. That's ridiculous.

I could really care less about your opinion of me...I don't think highly of you at all. I find you to be a tool, willing to throw stones at anyone that disagrees with you and that you have a tendency to unwittingly contradict yourself. The statement about the teachers is a major statement of your disdain towards public education.

I could really care less about your opinion of me...I don't think highly of you at all. I find you to be a tool, willing to throw stones at anyone that disagrees with you and that you have a tendency to unwittingly contradict yourself. The statement about the teachers is a major statement of your disdain towards public education.

The feelings mutual. I just want to see if your mouth runs as freely in person.

In regards to public education I think very highly of teachers and the sacrifices they make. I have family and very good friends that teach, for the record they feel the same way. One teacher who is a friend of mine, a very good teacher, said he felt disrespected and unappreciated with how they were paid in SC. He is no longer teaching in SC and that was a huge loss for us.

The feelings mutual. I just want to see if your mouth runs as freely in person.

In regards to public education I think very highly of teachers and the sacrifices they make. I have family and very good friends that teach, for the record they feel the same way. One teacher who is a friend of mine, a very good teacher, said he felt disrespected and unappreciated with how they were paid in SC. He is no longer teaching in SC and that was a huge loss for us.

Are you threatening me? Before you answer, choose your words wisely.

I am not sure if the sales tax will pass but I do believe it will slide by because I think the West Stanly community will vote for it to keep their schools open. If redistricting I think you would have a tough time getting this to pass in order to help the schools because many people would already see a loss. The thing is, if it does not pass the next move is property taxes and many of the people against this and who do not have a connection to the schools will then get stuck worse than most of the non homeowners that want the schools to stay in tact.

None of my business but if you two don't cool it, Deana is going to lock this thread.

I'm not the one making veiled threats. If she closes it, that is fine, but I'll be damned if I 'm going to have someone that I have no respect for make threats towards me or anyone else without it going unnoticed.

I don't threaten people. But you run your mouth pretty freely just wanted to see if it ran as freely in person or if it's your way of feeling relevant online. Whether in person or wherever I will tell you exactly what I think of you and I won't resort to childish name calling.

In regards to throwing stones myself and Btango agree but disagree a lot. I respect his opinion greatly and not once has a name been called or have we been disrespectful to each other.

Anybody who knows me knows what I do for this community and I do for these kids. So being disrespectful is uncalled for and unwarranted unless you would like to come down here and walk in my shoes and see what I see on a daily basis.

I don't threaten people. But you run your mouth pretty freely just wanted to see if it ran as freely in person or if it's your way of feeling relevant online. Whether in person or wherever I will tell you exactly what I think of you and I won't resort to childish name calling.

In regards to throwing stones myself and Btango agree but disagree a lot. I respect his opinion greatly and not once has a name been called or have we been disrespectful to each other.

Anybody who knows me knows what I do for this community and I do for these kids. So being disrespectful is uncalled for and unwarranted unless you would like to come down here and walk in my shoes and see what I see on a daily basis.

You are a hypocrite. Here you are, trying to act all big, tell me that you will offer your 6 year old kid to explain your position, and then you try to act like you have been disrespected. Why don't you go back to Ohio.

Because I have kids counting on me. Kids that don't have much if anything. See in the last 3 yrs I have helped 20 plus kids get into college whether academically or athletically. These are kids that normally would not have an opportunity to get there. Currently I am working with around 90 plus kids from stanly county as well as the Charlotte area. This is something that I don't get paid for or reimbursed for gas etc. This is my passion helping kids. That's fine I don't expect anything from it. I was actually asked last summer to coach a college program and turned it down to stay out here. I also work full time.

So this is my home my kids are here and I do have a vested interest in this community.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT