ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News!!

They already put it up as you cannot transfer into a school with a 80% capacity that takes transferring to north and west out of the question they both are well over it even with mobile units. In regards to academics then they are not taking advantage of the opportunities that are there at AHS. I have players going into dentistry etc. I have players this year that will have some of the hardest class schedules I personally have ever seen. I also have 8 individual scholars and back to back team scholar awards and over the past two years hundreds of thousands of scholarship money between athletics and academics. The opportunity is there you just have to take advantage of it.

Reactions: Buddy Rich
They already put it up as you cannot transfer into a school with a 80% capacity that takes transferring to north and west out of the question they both are well over it even with mobile units. In regards to academics then they are not taking advantage of the opportunities that are there at AHS. I have players going into dentistry etc. I have players this year that will have some of the hardest class schedules I personally have ever seen. I also have 8 individual scholars and back to back team scholar awards and over the past two years hundreds of thousands of scholarship money between athletics and academics. The opportunity is there you just have to take advantage of it.

BN2014 - Trust me, you and I are on the same page on everything - The original motion actually at the last meeting was for schools under 85% to be allowed to take open enrollment students - Mr Barbee quickly made the statement that would only allow South and Albemarle and you could see a couple school board members and audience members start back tracking quickly- Then the motion got turned around a thousand times and the board attorney got involved and the motion was finally rescinded and it was decided to come back in 2 weeks with a new motion. So when you say they already put it up as you cannot transfer into a school above 80%, that is not true with the original motion - In a typical year, with a typical transfer request, that is the case - But with a new motion coming tonight, they will almost certainly not put that stipulation on it - I agree that education, like sports, is a whole lot of what you put into it -

Reactions: bulldog nation2014
BN2014 - Trust me, you and I are on the same page on everything - The original motion actually at the last meeting was for schools under 85% to be allowed to take open enrollment students - Mr Barbee quickly made the statement that would only allow South and Albemarle and you could see a couple school board members and audience members start back tracking quickly- Then the motion got turned around a thousand times and the board attorney got involved and the motion was finally rescinded and it was decided to come back in 2 weeks with a new motion. So when you say they already put it up as you cannot transfer into a school above 80%, that is not true with the original motion - In a typical year, with a typical transfer request, that is the case - But with a new motion coming tonight, they will almost certainly not put that stipulation on it - I agree that education, like sports, is a whole lot of what you put into it -
Honestly would not surprise me what they do. Smh. Looking forward to this new principal coming in and hopefully putting AHS on the right track. One thing for certain this BOE will do SS and AHS no favors.

As a school family we need to push our kids academically despite the BOE and take it out in NS and WS athletically and show them why AHS is so great IMO.

The whole reason they are voting on the open enrollment is so the athletes will not have to sit out a year - The NCHSAA sets the rules of sitting out the 365 as their standard for a kid attending a school outside of his "home school" However they allow local Board of Educations to decide if they want to abide by this standard (which Stanly County always has) or allow students to attend a school other than their home school and play immediately. If they did not allow local Boards to make this decision, any student attending a Charter School that is part of of the NCHSAA would have to sit out their first year attending that school. Several local counties allow students to not sit out a year. So if Board votes tonight on open enrollment, and high school student can attend any high school in the county and not have to sit out a year, their could be some movement. I do not think there will be a lot, but could be a few. But with 3 of the 4 schools being 1A schools, small numbers of kids transferring could make a big difference in an individual school teams performance -

BN2014 - What I am hearing is, the kids are not wanting to transfer to North for "athletic" reasons. They are wanting to transfer to North for academic reasons, but are also athletes and do not want to have to sit out a year

Correct. Based on the ones I have heard about they would want to transfer for academics but do not wish to lose athletic eligibility. My thought is if a school cannot offer the student the classes they wish to take the student can transfer and play but he must be enrolled in the desired academic classes and they can play. I am not for open enrollment in any form and I think this plan is going to drive Albemarle further down academically leading it to destruction.

Local BOE's do not have anything to do with charter schools. Has Greystone had any students start after freshman year that were allowed to play sports? The schools in Forsyth County are open magnet schools and they allow transfers twice a year.

Stanly County has in the past allowed students to transfer and play sports although they may have changed the rule. It also happened when Albemarle had its own school district. I am sure there are some students that attend AHS that do not live in the AHS district that do play sports although they probably started there as freshmen so that rule probably is/was not invoked for ninth graders.

Country Day hired Drew Witman who is the son of the former coach Bob Witman.

That's what this board wants btango. To drive Albemarle down the road to total destruction.

I agree with btango. I am against open enrollment, but I look for the board to approve it tonight probably with the exclusion of the 365 rule. In the original motion by the board there was to be a 3 week window in which to transfer. Since there will be a new motion tonight who knows what it will look like.

Buddy, I was told by someone close to the school system last weekend that he looks at it like treating cancer. They basically kill the person to save them. I think the open enrollment is a precursor because many expect more students at AHS to opt for alternative options as they become available. This may be a short vision of that.

Not sure if it is true but was told that AHS probably had less students than South Stanly did the last day of school. That is two very small schools within a close distance of one another.

Went to the school board meeting tonight. Don't know why since I can't hear $hit. But the board did approve open enrollment of the 4 county schools as long as their not over 85% capacity. The students will enroll on line with the deadline being next fri the 26th. The computer will then pick those that can transfer. That's about it.

My first and probably my last impression of the Stanly County BOE. I was sadly disappointed. I thought I was at a wake, funeral, etc. Dr Griffin did most of the talking and only a couple of members spoke up. Also a few of the lady members looked young enough to still be in HS. They just sat there like they were a million miles away. And just think folks these people have our children's education and where they will be going to which school down the road in their hands. It's just plain SCARY!!!!!!

Buddy I do not think any of the ladies on the school board are under 40 years old. Not sure though. May be they just age well.

The 85% cap prevents kids from transferring into NS or WS so they can transfer into AHS or SSHS. I believe and correct me if I am wrong but NSand WS is over the 85% cap. Like Buddy said there will be very little movement. Btango my thoughts are this is to try to avoid redistricting which will most likely happen next year. What do you think?

Saw in last nights SNAP that there was going to be a meet and greet session with the new principal and it I think it was going to be Thursday evening at the school.

I would personally like to welcome Mr. Kilgore to AHS. We all have a lot of work to do to bring this school back. This being his first HS coming from a middle school he will just be dealing with older kids. Hope he is a strong, strict but fair principal. Also being likeable wouldn't hurt. Since we have a one year reprieve from the school board we need to make the most of it. And the only way we can up our enrollment is through redistricting which I hope will take place next year. Mr. Kilgore has a big job ahead of him and I would just like to wish him the best. Welcome to "Bulldog Country"

Good luck to Mike Williams who will be going to the Central Office to take over for Shannon Batchelor as well. By the numbers I heard this morning it says all county schools are under the 85% capacity mark? Assuming the mobile units are included in those numbers?? With open enrollment wouldn't now be a great time to try to get away from using those mobile units as much as possible?

Good luck to this new principal!!!! Buddy I believe in the past before he was at the middle school he was at a high school.

Good luck to Mike Williams who will be going to the Central Office to take over for Shannon Batchelor as well. By the numbers I heard this morning it says all county schools are under the 85% capacity mark? Assuming the mobile units are included in those numbers?? With open enrollment wouldn't now be a great time to try to get away from using those mobile units as much as possible?

Good luck to this new principal!!!! Buddy I believe in the past before he was at the middle school he was at a high school.

Sorry lol he was at a high school prior to him being at the middle school I believe.

Forgot to mention but the 365 ruled was waved so any kid that transfers can play sports.

Ahhhhh..... so now if kids want to load up, travel to AHS for football it's perfectly legal in the eyes of the SCBOE? When did this become new???? LMAO!!!!!! That's been standard procedure for as long as anyone on this board can remember!! I just don't think that the "allure" of AHS is what it was when they were Stanly County High School wining championships back in the early 2000's!!!!!

Reactions: sway1532
As far as the new HC I think it is a done deal and just waiting for the school board's approval.

I thought it was a done deal myself weeks ago, until I was told differently. Either way it goes, we will be getting a good coach.

Early l would be fine with me, if it helps us in the long run. Murphy and swain will not be as good as day, so that will help us out. And sway, last year Orville could of played with and maybe beat could try day. Max preps only had day ranked a little above us last year.

BK you spelling is horrific, but I get the point. Best of luck to your season.

Honestly would not surprise me what they do. Smh. Looking forward to this new principal coming in and hopefully putting AHS on the right track. One thing for certain this BOE will do SS and AHS no favors.

So are you blaming the over 20 years of deterioration of Albemarle High School on this Board too? Most of us know that the status quo has not worked out for Albemarle, especially after the shooting that happened last year. The prior Boards led by Melvin Poole are the real culprits.

I have to agree that the past school boards are more to blame than the current one. The shooting at Albemarle should have never happened because the student who did the shooting should have never been able to attend Albemarle or any other public school. He was kicked out at West Montgomery for stabbing another student the year before. I don't know who made the decision to let him enroll at Albemarle but clearly he should have been enrolled at some type of alternative school or jail.

I have to agree that the past school boards are more to blame than the current one. The shooting at Albemarle should have never happened because the student who did the shooting should have never been able to attend Albemarle or any other public school. He was kicked out at West Montgomery for stabbing another student the year before. I don't know who made the decision to let him enroll at Albemarle but clearly he should have been enrolled at some type of alternative school or jail.

The parents of that student filed a lawsuit and it is currently in swing, just sit back and watch the show folks. :cool:

So are you blaming the over 20 years of deterioration of Albemarle High School on this Board too? Most of us know that the status quo has not worked out for Albemarle, especially after the shooting that happened last year. The prior Boards led by Melvin Poole are the real culprits.

Last time I checked Earnhardt AHS when it was ACS was doing pretty well even has $$ in the kitty. In regards to my comment it was simple. This board has done 0 in favor of AHS and SS if they were actually a unbiased board why do open enrollment instead of going ahead and redistricting. It's no secret that this decision was not done to put stanly county schools in a better position it was to appease a few. Just out of the blue boom open enrollment lol come on man.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT