ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News!!

Either way I think we should be good going forward in coach selection.

Coach Stone wants it so bad, but this board tho.....lmao.

I'll tell you like this. When you get "Dummies" in control, that make "Dummy" decisions; you'll get a "Stupid" outcome. This is shots at all the small minded people who read this board. #ShotsFired.

The question may not be the head coach but who will be the assistants? What is the long term plan for having coaches on the school staff and retaining teachers long term?

Stanly County Schools have dwindled away for years as they continued to do the same things over and over. Change of some kind is needed. At Albemarle every teacher, student, and administrator need to be held accountable. Missing school is not an option, being disruptive is not an option, not trying is not an option. If you are a troublemaker you are out of the school or in some type of isolation. The problem will then be that they are being too harsh on the student.

Reactions: Buddy Rich
Anyone that thinks what the school board does or is doing is based on athletics is ridiculous.

It was Melvin Poole that stated community volunteers could coach the teams. Coaches should do it for the love of the sport/job.

How many people applied for the prestigious head football coaching job at Albemarle? I think the number was underwhelming.

Most coaches do it for the love of coaching and helping kids, typically the money a HS coach is paid goes right back to the kids. Most coaches want to break even and that's it. But hey if they want to goto volunteer coaches I am sure one of the board members would love to travel to every game and if the team stops help pay for meals for those who cannot afford it, or come to practice 5 days a week or take the countless hours it takes to talk to colleges or make sure your kids are doing everything right off the playing field as well.

Most people do not understand the time commitment from coaches or appreciate it. IMHO if they actually appreciated the teachers and paid them more money to show them the appreciation they deserve the results would be better in the classroom as we as a county would have retained a lot of our better coaches and teachers.

I know the next argument is money. Let me tell you there has been a lot of needless spending that the funds could have been applied to teachers and they put those funds somewhere else.

In regards to the football coach and other coaches we will be fine at AHS. The football coach I think will come in will do a a fantastic job regardless what anyone else in the county does.

What I hope for AHS is that the teachers students and community rally behind this new principal so we can right the ship. I had a player txt me yesterday and was telling me the schedule for next year and I was blown away. This player is one of AHS best students and the statement was made to me that if kids at GS can push themselves academically I want to prove that here at AHS we can do the same thing. And that schedule is probably one of the toughest I have ever seen. I would venture to guess this player has one of the toughest schedules in the county. My challenge to everybody at AHS is for parents teachers and coaches to challenge their kids to be great. Set the standard of excellence so that it becomes the expectation. Rally around these students push them to the next level. Don't settle for mediocre!!! Whether athletically or academically we will be great.

The question may not be the head coach but who will be the assistants? What is the long term plan for having coaches on the school staff and retaining teachers long term?

Stanly County Schools have dwindled away for years as they continued to do the same things over and over. Change of some kind is needed. At Albemarle every teacher, student, and administrator need to be held accountable. Missing school is not an option, being disruptive is not an option, not trying is not an option. If you are a troublemaker you are out of the school or in some type of isolation. The problem will then be that they are being too harsh on the student.

Tango I agree whole heartily with you. But question, what happened to the alternative school where we sent those types of students? I'll tell you, its now a training facility for police officers and state troopers. Yes funding starts at the top which is in Raleigh, but Stanly County had it coming. I still feel that the people calling the shots are "Clearly" incompetent.

From speaking with other individuals who's children are in different school systems, they do not allow those disruptive individuals to even step foot on the premises. I know children who get suspended at least 10 times a year at the Elementary level and still be allowed to come back....I'm not joking!

If it was up to me, I wouldn't care how old that child is, I will yank them; and the parent can cry, threaten, and sue all they want. They will not be coming back in my school. But Stanly County likes to bend over for some reason. "No Child Left Behind" ring a bell....yeah.

With only two applicants, that makes me next in line. Seriously, the issue for coach Stone will be finding good assistants. Regardless of when he is hired, the new coach will need help. That list might need to include letting athletic director s coach. Wes would be a big help.

Sleeh, you are correct, AD may possible be the coach this year if a name is not presented in time.

Most coaches do it for the love of coaching and helping kids, typically the money a HS coach is paid goes right back to the kids. Most coaches want to break even and that's it. But hey if they want to goto volunteer coaches I am sure one of the board members would love to travel to every game and if the team stops help pay for meals for those who cannot afford it, or come to practice 5 days a week or take the countless hours it takes to talk to colleges or make sure your kids are doing everything right off the playing field as well.

Most people do not understand the time commitment from coaches or appreciate it. IMHO if they actually appreciated the teachers and paid them more money to show them the appreciation they deserve the results would be better in the classroom as we as a county would have retained a lot of our better coaches and teachers.

I know the next argument is money. Let me tell you there has been a lot of needless spending that the funds could have been applied to teachers and they put those funds somewhere else.

In regards to the football coach and other coaches we will be fine at AHS. The football coach I think will come in will do a a fantastic job regardless what anyone else in the county does.

I think part of the problem is many people have no clue the amount of time coaches put into their team. Not just practice, travel to games, but checking up on things for the players or on the players. Helping them get some type of application or documentation or assistance they need. Taking care of uniforms, facilities, and other logistics. It is endless.

I think if you pay well and treat people fairly you can get a better quality person to teach or do any job with lower turnover.

Tango I agree whole heartily with you. But question, what happened to the alternative school where we sent those types of students? I'll tell you, its now a training facility for police officers and state troopers. Yes funding starts at the top which is in Raleigh, but Stanly County had it coming. I still feel that the people calling the shots are "Clearly" incompetent.

From speaking with other individuals who's children are in different school systems, they do not allow those disruptive individuals to even step foot on the premises. I know children who get suspended at least 10 times a year at the Elementary level and still be allowed to come back....I'm not joking!

If it was up to me, I wouldn't care how old that child is, I will yank them; and the parent can cry, threaten, and sue all they want. They will not be coming back in my school. But Stanly County likes to bend over for some reason. "No Child Left Behind" ring a bell....yeah.

Sway, the alternative school still exists--it was moved to the old North Albemarle Elementary facility after it closed down as a regular school...so there is a place to put the disruptive students. Now, whether the individual principals will actually send the unruly students there, that's a different question.

As for the comments about the current school board....the new members were elected BECAUSE they ran on a platform of change. Then they took office and proposed change, and what happens? People are ready to lynch them. The people of this county befuddle me, and I've lived here nearly my whole life.

Reactions: BulldogsFollower
Sway, the alternative school still exists--it was moved to the old North Albemarle Elementary facility after it closed down as a regular school...so there is a place to put the disruptive students. Now, whether the individual principals will actually send the unruly students there, that's a different question.

As for the comments about the current school board....the new members were elected BECAUSE they ran on a platform of change. Then they took office and proposed change, and what happens? People are ready to lynch them. The people of this county befuddle me, and I've lived here nearly my whole life.

I'm learning to keep My mouth shut on here. I've seen some People treated bad on here by Folks that don't think You have a right to an opinion. Same thing happened on the other board. Anyway I appreciate all of the Bulldog Fans and We do have a season coming up

Reactions: bulldog nation2014
I'm learning to keep My mouth shut on here. I've seen some People treated bad on here by Folks that don't think You have a right to an opinion. Same thing happened on the other board. Anyway I appreciate all of the Bulldog Fans and We do have a season coming up

Everyone has a right to an opinion and others have the right to support it or disagree. Put your thoughts out there. That is what brings discussion. No communication is the worst thing.

Just glanced at the Snap today and think it was $40,000 more the county commissioners are giving the BOE for the Stem program at stanly county schools. Every dollar helps. Hoping that the BOE meeting next Tuesday will have a new coach at Albemarle to approve. But I wouldn't hold my breath folks. More than likely will be the June 30 meeting.

Last edited:
Agreed All-out. With the school board putting all the talk out about closing AHS has really hurt the recuiting process for coaches. We have an excellent coach that wants the Head Football job and everybody is dragging their feet. New Principal has also complicated matters and slowed things down. I hope we can fill all these positions but it may be late in the game.

Agreed All-out. With the school board putting all the talk out about closing AHS has really hurt the recuiting process for coaches. We have an excellent coach that wants the Head Football job and everybody is dragging their feet. New Principal has also complicated matters and slowed things down. I hope we can fill all these positions but it may be late in the game.
Buddy, what your guess on the coach? Are their multiple candidates in play?

Really, just one. It has been stated he would coach and not teach. The county supplement for a non faculty hc is around $2800. Anyone who will move and do it for that amount is definitely your man.

I really believe the only thing slowing the hiring of a new HC at Albemarle is for the new principal to come on board and be involved.

My concern is available money to pay the head coach and what he is looking for pay wise as related to his current situation especially if he is receiving retirement from the system.

If a coach is retired and receiving his retirement some systems have created slots that allow them to work "part time" and get paid about $20k a year so they can keep their retirement. I think one candidate was in a position such as this for a few years. Not sure but I think they have some duties for a portion of the day in addition to the football job.

If the new principal gives the green light to a coach I would think he will go ahead and get things moving forward.

People have been talking about how the potential to close the school will hit the kids mentally. I would be more worried about not having a football coach until July 16.

Trust me, the AD is working really hard to get a new coach installed. It is in the boards hand at the moment, that's plain and simple.

Much respect to the SMC, BK. The only Team that could have had a descent game with the Black Knight's last would have been West Montgomery. Good Luck to the Knights and Bulldogs this year

Trust me, the AD is working really hard to get a new coach installed. It is in the boards hand at the moment, that's plain and simple.

If Wes has a HFC selected, the new principal should give his support for the hire as soon as possible. With the principal's support I would think the BOE approval will be a formality but it appears the time line is getting tight.

I don't think that is a option at this point until July 1st after the new principal has started. Then the coach would have to be "officially" approved by the BOE but all hires need the approval of the principal to be forwarded to the BOE for hire.

On the calendar it is the 7th but everything is changing by the minute. They also have a meeting on the 30th of this month.. Who's on first?

I have decided to take a new approach and that is Patience. Looks like it will be mid July before we have a new coach. I was told that he would have to be patient and just wait for the process to play out. I'm sure it's hard on him having to wait it out. He's been ready to go for some time. Seems like everything at AHS has been uphill for quite a while. If everything works out like I hope it will this new coach will be just what the dr ordered. He will have a lot to do in a short time to get this team ready for the coming season. I think we all need to be patient with him and the team as we try to regain the glory days of Albemarle Football. I think we will in time.

I said last month that it wouldn't be until July when we get a coach. We'll be fine. Workouts and passing league starts in July, so if you think about it, he's coming right in time.

Wes is pushing them in the weight room as we speak. Whoever the new coach is, I'm betting that he's watching film and getting a playbook together as we speak. Because I know of only one candidate and we all know who that is. #GoDogs

Last edited:
Thanks sway. You are always the positive one and assuring everyone that everything is going to be allright. Sometimes I wish I were more like you, but I have always been the worrier. Takes all kinds. lol

It will be interesting to see what kind of offense and defense the new coach runs. I'm sure he has his own system and it may be different from what our kids are used to. I know he will be getting one very good running back in Jacobi Emery.

Somebody has to stay positive in all of this mess :cool:, but we will be getting a good coach......but anybody can win at least 8 games with Albemarle, a cashier can win with Albemarle lol!

Emery has grown. He was already big as a sophomore. I haven't seen him lately, he relocated, but he's going to be very good.

Can't wait.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT