ADVERTISEMENT

Albemarle vs WSP

Buddy Rich

May 24, 2005
Well I guess the big question is do we have a chance. The odds will probably be in WSP favor, but you never know. I know they have 2 guys 6 7 so they definitely have a height advantage. Guess we'll find out Saturday. Go Dogs.

Prep is definitely the favorite, but they aren't anywhere near the same team that clobbered the 'Dogs last year. Aside from the Williams kid, they don't have nearly the skill in the paint. If Albemarle can control Preps guards (easier said than done), they'll give themselves a good shot.

Toss up. Could go either way. If Prep can handle the pressure they have a chance. But Albemarle has great shooters and they play together well. Prep does have an edge depth wise inside. If Williams and Hollingsworth bring their A games Prep may be able to get back to the Finals. Wild card is Williamson for Prep. This freshman can play.

Goodloe is going to be a good one for Prep too. All three of those guards are really good.

You hit on the biggest thing though for Albemarle...they have to make shots. One thing that's gotten teams in trouble in the past against Prep has been the over reliance on physical play and trying to "out tough" Prep. I thought Starmount more or less forgot they were playing a basketball game and it cost them big.

If the 'Dogs can just do their job on the glass, play sound basketball on both ends and make some shots from the perimeter, they're going to do fine.

I agree 100%. Especially about the Starmount game. The officials almost let it get out of hand. I have seen Prep outsmarted but rarely out toughed. Who won the East Carteret Weldon game?

Coming from a Avery fan, and I stayed and watched the Albemarle game after our loss to WSP. Albemarle was the best out if the 4 west teams I saw play tonight. Good luck I'd rather see a traditional high school team win other than a make shift put together (recruiting) team JMO.

Originally posted by Heels10:
Coming from a Avery fan, and I stayed and watched the Albemarle game after our loss to WSP. Albemarle was the best out if the 4 west teams I saw play tonight. Good luck I'd rather see a traditional high school team win other than a make shift put together (recruiting) team JMO.
Its really ridiculous . NCHSAA is a joke . Someone said the Charters/Magnets whatevers were voted in by the coaches . It doesn't take a mathematician to figure out what division would lose that vote .

Please do not reference math. It is something the board knows nothing
about. Math question:

Team A: Their ADM student population is determined by geographic boundaries.

Team B: Their ADM student population is tightly controlled by their administration to keep their numbers low. Their student population is hand chosen and many students are excluded from their ADM.

Which team has skewed the system in their favor and has the highest probability of winning?

This post was edited on 3/6 8:05 AM by eaglepride82

Got the opportunity to watch both games last night. Thought the best two teams won. My impression is this. I really think Williams and Hollingswrth for prep will be the 2 best players on the floor. However, the big kid and #10 for Albemarle are also very effective players. I think Prep has better individual talent, but Albemarle plays better as a unit. I predict Prep by high single digits 7-9 points. I hope I am wrong. My pecking order of teams that I pull for is Alleghany, then anybody from our conference, then any traditional boundary school. I am definetly pulling for Albemarle, I hope to be there and get to cheer them to a victory, but I am afraid the West will be represented by the same old situation that we have been represented by.

I am curious if any of you Albemarle fans could help me. Do they ever play man to man. One of the most athletic teams you will run into, and see them in a zone against a very good shooting Lincoln Charter team was surprising to me.

They manned up at least one time down court which surprised me. They normally are a zone team but I do not get to see Albemarle play too often. Last night they got caught chasing the ball in the 1-3-1. Thought they did better in the 1-2-2.

Originally posted by PirateDad17:
Its really ridiculous . NCHSAA is a joke . Someone said the Charters/Magnets whatevers were voted in by the coaches . It doesn't take a mathematician to figure out what division would lose that vote .
Coaches do not vote on this.

Charters and magnets are the a favorite of the politicians. I personally have no problem with them playing with the other schools but they need to figure out a way for them to play up in classification. The disparity between magnet/charter/parochial schools is so vast it is not a one size fits all. Putting them all in one grouping would not work well either.

One thing I think that should be addressed. I believe that magnets and charters should be of the highest academic caliber schools or possibly for students that may have some learning disabilities. The same for open district magnet programs within a standard district school. To many it appears that some school systems have magnets that are not that much different than the schools they draw students from.

Also, the NCHSAA must enact a rule that if a student "transfers" schools after day one freshman year they must sit out 365 days of athletics. A "transfer" is a student that changes schools but does not move their primary physical address to include their legal gauardian into the new schools district. An open magnet would no boundary would be an automatic qualifier. Forsyth County appears to be an issue.

Originally posted by eaglepride82:

Please do not reference math. It is something the board knows nothing
about. Math question:

Team A: Their ADM student population is determined by geographic boundaries.

Team B: Their ADM student population is tightly controlled by their administration to keep their numbers low. Their student population is hand chosen and many students are excluded from their ADM.

Which team has skewed the system in their favor and has the highest probability of winning?

This post was edited on 3/6 8:05 AM by eaglepride82
Not sure students at most charters are "hand chosen". A lottery is often used while some schools do not meet their capacity numbers so any student can attend. With that said, the issue is fairly understandable.

I really do not have a problem with many of these magnet and private schools being in the 1A classification. Most of them that is the only place they are going to be able to participate with out being totally destroyed. It is when the parents, coaches and AD of these schools begin skewing the system in their favor. Heaven forbid I use the word recruit but there are many of these students that chose to attend the schools like Bishop or WSP because they have been encouraged or recommended to attend because of not only do they meet the academic requirements but are also an exceptional athlete.

Autry was pretty impressive for a footballer. Most of the time footballers don't do too well against full time basketballers

After looking at both teams I really think the best chance to beat prep is in the sectionals due to the size of the courts. The college sizes courts allow for more spacing and negate a lot of the
physical play and also those few extra have a an impact with conditioning I see teams just wear down by the middle ofv the 3rd when playing athletic teams.

I think Albemarle can compete with them. They have to control the paint against prep. WSP shoots the ball ok, but to me I thought Avery defended the perimeter very well but as the game went on I felt the difference was the paint. Avery's guys worked hard in the paint and did a great job but as the game went on it seemed that is where Prep was able to create the distance off of some second chance points and they were able to start posting them deeper and deeper in the paint.

So the bigs for Albemarle have to show up and go hard for 32 minutes and controls the boards and paint for them to be able to beat Prep IMHO. Autry is a lot to handle in the paint especially once he gets going.

Originally posted by btango:

Originally posted by PirateDad17:

Coaches do not vote on this.

Charters and magnets are the a favorite of the politicians. I personally have no problem with them playing with the other schools but they need to figure out a way for them to play up in classification. The disparity between magnet/charter/parochial schools is so vast it is not a one size fits all. Putting them all in one grouping would not work well either.

One thing I think that should be addressed. I believe that magnets and charters should be of the highest academic caliber schools or possibly for students that may have some learning disabilities. The same for open district magnet programs within a standard district school. To many it appears that some school systems have magnets that are not that much different than the schools they draw students from.

Also, the NCHSAA must enact a rule that if a student "transfers" schools after day one freshman year they must sit out 365 days of athletics. A "transfer" is a student that changes schools but does not move their primary physical address to include their legal gauardian into the new schools district. An open magnet would no boundary would be an automatic qualifier. Forsyth County appears to be an issue.

Maybe I worded my post incorrectly. Are you saying that coaches have never voted on this? I may be wrong but I am fairly sure a high school coach told me that the other coaches i.e. the rest of the coaches of all classifications voted this in several years ago .He said that not all coaches were present at the vote at a summer meeting/training/ (I possibly mistook coaches for NCHSAA officials I guess ) but that the fact that there are more coaches in 2A , 3A , and 4A schools skewered the vote in favor of keeping non-traditional schools in 1A .
Now there is no doubt that the student population in a charter/magnet school is lower but the original purpose was to be the school was to be beneficial educationally to students that attend there. Does anyone at NCHSAA take the time to look at that aspect of it? I have looked at it and the numbers don't add up for certain perennial powerhouses in 1A basketball .
Also , does it stand to reason that if Forsyth County can make their own residency rules and the NCHAA will allow them to participate then a school board and superintendent can be lobbied to change these rules for ours and your county as well ? For all counties in North Carolina ? Seems to be fair to the kids to allow them to go to school where they want to go if they can get there , right?

Like I said another unfair game and blowout. If all the other teams were playing each other and prep was not in the 1As these games would all have been a lot closer. so everyone will always play for second as long as you play all of Forsyth Counties Best players at one school. 3Daughters will be up next .Hope she reads what I said over on the 1A girls Boards .

A few years ago, there was a vote by the NCHSAA member schools to remove the 3 non-boarding parochial schools: Bishop McGuinness, Charlotte Catholic, and Cardinal Gibbons.

The NCHSAA sent a ballot to its 390 schools allowing principals to vote on changing the rule. The vote was 234-51 in favor of making the change. But it failed to meet the required three-fourths majority of 293 schools to pass.

Most of the 1A and 2A school voted for the change. As you can see, over 100 schools didn't vote; therefore it didn't pass.

Of the schools that voted, it was 82% to change the rule.

Originally posted by Deana_King:
A few years ago, there was a vote by the NCHSAA member schools to remove the 3 non-boarding parochial schools: Bishop McGuinness, Charlotte Catholic, and Cardinal Gibbons.

The NCHSAA sent a ballot to its 390 schools allowing principals to vote on changing the rule. The vote was 234-51 in favor of making the change. But it failed to meet the required three-fourths majority of 293 schools to pass.

Most of the 1A and 2A school voted for the change. As you can see, over 100 schools didn't vote; therefore it didn't pass.

Of the schools that voted, it was 82% to change the rule.
Thank you for the clarification. So now how do we in small towns like Beaufort and Pinetown and Welden and those in the west lobby the NCHSAA for such an action ? If a Charter school like Bear Grass enrolls students from a predetermined boundaried area then obviously they deserve 1A classification but when Rocky Mount, Voyager and Prep are pulling kids from all over Durham and Winston Salem then that should be viewed in a different light. Its about households and population not miles . All anyone wants is a level playing field.

I am sure it would not pass , Do you think the 2A, 3A, and 4A schools would vote and want them in, so they don't vote and they look good not doing so. What should have happened is All The 1A schools should have been the only ones to vote to get them out.

I think if your going to be able to pull from all those schools in Forsyth County. then you should be made to play up at least to 3A. I bet Prep could have beat East or Smokey in the 2A easily. This is not fair to all the kids in the 1As that work there tails off and get shot down in the playoffs like this.

Originally posted by big army mike:

I am sure it would not pass , Do you think the 2A, 3A, and 4A schools would vote and want them in, so they don't vote and they look good not doing so. What should have happened is All The 1A schools should have been the only ones to vote to get them out.
I think the point of the information in Mrs . King's post is that it was only voted to remove the three non- boarding parochial schools . The truth is that the charters/magnets are simply abusing a rule the NCHSAA allows them to because their overall enrollment is 1A size .
What is happening is very similar to a sub-issue to the game I watched Friday between Voyager and Northside . They both have two giants in the middle . Bam Bam has been heard about and recruited by everyone in the country . However, Voyagers center blocked his shot at least four times and out rebounded and outplayed him. He ended up fouling out in the fourth and Northside won in overtime. The point is Bam Bam has dunked and dominated every team he has played against because he never plays against anyone his own size. He was neutralized against Voyager but his team stepped up and they pulled out the win.
Against East Carteret he dominates the inside but his supporting cast has never been able to match our guards and forwards and we are 6 -0 against Bam Bam and Northside the last two years . Hanging 106 on them the last time we played them at home. If NCHSAA can't see the nose in front of their faces that these guys like Bishop and WS Prep and Voyager are abusing the rules and they should be playing against either private schools and or playing up a couple of levels then their is no justice in High school athletics.

Pirate,

I saw the box score and just saw your post. I remember seeing Bam Bam's stats all over Twitter. The box score had Bam Bam with 37 points and 23 rebounds while Jay Huff 5 points, 4 rebounds, and 5 blocks.

Everything has to start with the local principal, superintendent, district officer, etc. NCHSAA is made up of school officials.

Absolutely incorrect! The vote was for the Parochial schools NOT the charter and magnet schools. The Parochial schools were slated to the 1A, 3A, and 4A classifications when the vote was taken so all classes should vote. especially with the fact that Bishop McGuiness had stated they would not fight nor be against a requirement that they move up a classification.

I have roared for years that the problem that the schools faced was not the Parochial schools but the charters and open magnets. No one listened. I was told by many that those schools would not be an issue. Not only are they now a participation/competition issue but they have been causing issues with the alignment.

I think if your going to be able to pull from all those schools in Forsyth County. then you should be made to play up at least to 3A. I bet Prep could have beat East or Smokey in the 2A easily. This is not fair to all the kids in the 1As that work there tails off and get shot down in the playoffs like this.
They could have beaten them but it would have been a dog fight.

Pirate,

Everything has to start with the local principal, superintendent, district officer, etc. NCHSAA is made up of school officials.
It is the same with sub-divided playoffs, the screwed up practice rules we have for football. The NCHSAA admin does not make these rules up, the Board of Directors does. If football coaches want change they determine what it is, get their AD and principal on board. They in turn take it to the superintendent and county AD. Same wioh the schools and classification.

The issue that the NCHSAA faces is the fact that magnets and charters are the darlings of the state politicos now. Look out for the next fight which almost happened already. Home schooled students allowed to play on their home district sports teams. Private school or charter schools students being allowed to play sports at a public if their school does not offer it. Think that will cause some issues.

I think the rule for Parochial athletic team participation should be the student has been a member of the local parish and attend church for a set amount of time before they are allowed to play a sport there. The Parochials regulate themselves very well in my opinion and with the numerous rules they, and the NCHSAA, level things out to a degree.

I have always thought the Parochials should play up one classification minimum if not two.

The issue I have with WS Prep is that a student can transfer into the school and play without sitting out 365 days which is what the Parochials are required to do. Student attended Charlotte Catholic Schools from Pre K through freshman year. Went to his home district school as a sophmore, no idea why. Returned to Catholic the next school year but had to set out 365 days, his junior year of athletics, before being allowed to play his senior year. Solid athlete but not a college recruit by any means. In Forsyth County that student could have transferred to any school during their open transfer period and been allowed to play sports the next semester.

Forsyth County is an issue. They have built small community high schools or moved into buildings making them these small schools or lowering the enrollment of other schools, such as Carver, making them drop in classification. Those schools are open enrollment due to the county rules and are 1A or 2A. Not saying that there is an out of control transfer mentality there but for 1A,and to some degree 2A, athletics it only takes a couple of really good athletes to flip the field/court.

Voting to kick schools out was a waste of time. Even if McGuinness would have been voted out, members of the General Assembly basically said they would have prevented it from happening. Several judges even told key people that it would have been overturned in court by most judges. And the Gen Assembly in its current form will protect the charter schools that they love and the private schools that they love...vouchers anyone? You can lobby for a change in classifications but even that already bit the dust a couple years ago so that won't likely be revisited soon. Your only best bet is that there will be enough charters to have a separate classification soon for the non-traditional schools.

Pirate,

I saw the box score and just saw your post. I remember seeing Bam Bam's stats all over Twitter. The box score had Bam Bam with 37 points and 23 rebounds while Jay Huff 5 points, 4 rebounds, and 5 blocks.

I was at the game and although I guess I didn't realize Huff only had 5 points and 4 rebounds , the 5 blocked shots were all against Bam Bam . His 37 points is about right , he probably had that many against us . The Voyager game went to overtime after Huff fouled out .
My point is that Bam has never had to play against a guy his own size and when he did , he got his shot blocked 5 times , and appeared bewildered . I'm pretty sure that's probably the first time that has ever happened once. I've seen him play 6 times now. We've beaten his team all 6 times .
Sure a 6'9" guy is gonna dominate players 6 or 7 inches shorter, but he has to have that supporting cast to get him the win. One player can make a good team and tough to beat, but you put together a team around 3 of them and you have a championship team. NCHSAA knows what is going on. It's hilarious that someone will get up and defend it because they have the opportunity to benefit from the rule bending.
This post was edited on 3/8 10:04 PM by PirateDad17

Bam has been plain AAU in Hampton, Va for the Boo Williams program since he was 15. So huff does not hold a candle to the players he plays against over the summer. I saw bam play against Okafor from duke and 6' 11 "Harry Giles (#1 or #2 c/o 16) and hold his own. The Eybl circuit where he plays had the best talent in the country here is a clip of bam playing against similar size and talent of his.

Bam Bam Adebayo New Mixtape (Peach Jam & AAU Super Showcase): http://youtu.be/WMtZvgtC9RE

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT