ADVERTISEMENT

AHS HFC

sway1532

Aug 15, 2011
I'm just making this thread so I can be notified as soon as a choice is made. Please let me know. Thanks.

From the mouth of a person in the know...June board meeting will end personnel issues with the hs admins. After that, the interview process will begin with the (possibly) new principal. I would think your answer is not coming prior to June 15th.

If the June 15th board meeting determines leadership at AHS you could be looking at another month before the HC is named. Really!?! sleeh do you think it is important to have a new HC in place as soon as possible.

I saw on the schools web site that the new head coach start date is 7-15-15. Thoughts.

I saw on the schools web site that the new head coach start date is 7-15-15. Thoughts.

Looks to be that they will hold off until after the 6/15 meeting where I believe they will handle the personnel issues like what was said before. I would think that is really late to get things rolling with a new HC but I understand that process.

I feel like we will get a good quality coach but what I also want is someone that will stay at Albemarle for several years. It has to be hard on the kids changing head coaches every year. I also hope he will teach so he will be at school everyday to intermingle with the kids.

Reactions: bulldog nation2014
I feel with the strong possibility of getting a new principal at AHS it will slow down the process of getting a new HC. If this happens I'm sure the new principal would want some input in the hiring. It will probably be well into June before we hire.

I'm looking at the beginning of July for a hire. In the SNAP, coach T officially resigned. With Spring workouts right around the corner, I wounder if they will still be held?

Per the AD sway the spring workouts were suppose to start yesterday and I thing Doug had agreed to handle them.

Does anyone know if Doug Talbert will be an assistant coach or has he decided he's had enough. I know he was an assistant for about 10 years before he took the head job last year. I'm like Buddy and I hope they will hire a coach that will stay around for a while and give the program some stability.

Dogs9, the way I read his statement in SNAP, I'm not sure if he will. I honestly hope he does. I think someone mentioned on another thread that a guy from Independence was interested and will bring some guys with him. Correct me if I'm wrong.

But we will have to wait until June-July before they can get started.

I believe it will be too much work to install a new system this year.It won't be until the end of the year before we see fruition of the new installed system. But next year....watch out.

If you continue to tell people that "it will be too much work ....or it won't be until the end of the year before we see fruition".....well, my hat is off to you all. Realistic expectations are essential. After all, last year you had Lee Autry, Swaringen, Sellers, Davis...some of these guys were three year starters. (I think if the coach is supported as he should be, you guys can celebrate a solid season. As Buddy mentioned...it has been a tough year on the players too...going back to the forfeits. If things ever get settled, you will be fine.)

All good points Sleeh, but our J.V. was pretty decent last year. And your right, the kids they have been thru a tremendous amount of drama this past year. But I believe we will be just fine. One thing Albemarle knows how to do is maintain integrity.....I mean, you would know that by the last game of the year this past season wouldn't ya :cool:

Last edited:
Dogs9, the way I read his statement in SNAP, I'm not sure if he will. I honestly hope he does. I think someone mentioned on another thread that a guy from Independence was interested and will bring some guys with him. Correct me if I'm wrong.

But we will have to wait until June-July before they can get started.

I believe it will be too much work to install a new system this year.It won't be until the end of the year before we see fruition of the new installed system. But next year....watch out.

He did coach at Indy at one time. Assistant at another Charlotte School now. Think he has a few coaches that would follow him but you need to have jobs for them. When they see the pay differential between CMS and SCS they may have second thoughts or they may see it as a chance to be a big winner and / or a stepping stone to a bigger job.

Heard today the dogs are doing their spring football in the weight room. Since we don't have a head coach at the moment guess that's as good a place as any. I believe we had gotten away from lifting the last few years so it sure want hurt to get a little stronger. I'm also hearing we will be small this year but with good speed. Whoever the new coach is he will have his own system, so should be interesting to see how that works out. My main worry is will we have enough assistant coaches. But in spite of all of this I very excited that we will have football in Albemarle this fall. Go Dogs.

Buddy I was told last night that Albemarle will be very good if they stay healthy. And I also saw where the weight program has
taken fruition.

I'm not worried about size, not for Albemarle anyway. 2001 team was average at best and the 2002-2004 team didn't have much size either. But they were strong and fast, that's Albemarle football. And they all took it to'em.

Get your cushing ready for the bleachers.

Am assuming that Wes is running the strength and conditioning program and that is suppose to be his strong point. As I have said many times I think our weight program has fallen upon hard times the last few years. Sounds like we have it up and running again which is a very good sign. The talent is always there so we just need to get stronger and we can get back to where we once were. When the new coach is announced I will be real interested to see what he does with this years team. These kids have played under what Gaster put in place when he came here Power football with a sprinkling of passes. I really hope we can get back to that, but I'm sure the new coach will have his own ideas. I think time will be of the essence, since it looks like it's going to be late June maybe early July before we have a new coach in place. I hope he is a good line coach as we have been missing a real good offensive line the last few years. That was Jack's forte and it has been missed. To me football is all about blocking and tackling and I don't think that has changed over the years.
I want to say good luck to the 2015 Albemarle Bulldogs. I think they will do their part. Now we as fans have to show up in big numbers and support these kids. They deserve it. Go Dogs!!!

Wes is still heading the weight training so we will be fine.

1A football is still a "Run First" league so I don't think much will change in our current scheme.

I think we will be alright. Albemarle for many years has been beating people off of "Talent" alone. Then entered Coach Eddins at WM. Albemarle can no longer afford to depend on their talent alone. They need to be coached.

We will still beat the regulars, but for teams like WM (in today's time) and a team like Concord, they have the talent to match Albemarle, and that's when coaching comes into play. Heck Murphy beat us three times in a row and not just off of talent. The first two times were coaching and the last time was both.

But we will be fine. If everything goes well, we will see round 3 and hopefully 4.

Last edited:
All this stuff about getting a new HC brought up some memories to me. Jack Gaster. I started going to the games in 1994 his second year at Albemarle. Not being a player but became hooked on Jack and what he was doing with the team at Albemarle. We just became aquaintances for a few years, but in 2001 I became treasurer of the boosters club and got to know him better. For the next 3 years during our championship run Jack and I became close friends with he and I working together. Got to know him better and we talked a lot especially about football. The man's real passion was his family and FOOTBALL. What a great football mind he had. And he could get more out of his players than anybody.
Anyway my reason for posting this is to learn the where abouts of his family. I know Travis is the new HC at Princeton. He had another son Guy, but not sure where he is. And of course his wife Harry. Everybody called her "H". Got to know her really well and what a great lady. Wondering where she is now. About this time we started the NCC and she thought that was the coolest funniest thing she had ever heard of. If anybody knows her where abouts I would like to get in touch with her and see how she is doing.
Great memories of a great man.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sleehrat84
AS far as I know he is. He was and hope still is very interested in the job. If fact if they had offered he would have accepted. But with the way things are dragging out, who knows .From what the guys at Carolina preps tell me he would be a perfect fit at Albemarle. I do know our AD was very impressed when they talked over the phone. We shall see.

I can almost guarantee that everyone in the YVC is more anxious too see who Albemarle new coach is going to be more than Albemarle fans themselves. As soon as it's announced they will be running tape on the guy.

I can promise you they are shaking in the August shorts!

hqdefault.jpg

It won't really matter who Albemarle gets as a new head coach. With the conference splitting up and who will stay in the YVC, no way Albemarle could lose

I do not think Albemarle is looking at conference titles as a measurement of success.

Man, the continuing "soap opera" in Albemarle just keeps on going. The old AD Wes Herlocker who stepped down for health reasons has asked to be re-instated as AD. Wes I really don't know you but being an AD is not your thing. Understand you are great at teaching strength and conditioning so why not just do that. Anyway I think a lot of questions will be answered at the BOE meeting this coming Tuesday. Lots of personnel matters to take up. I believe the hiring of a head coach can probably move forward after this meeting. Stay tuned folks.

@All_out_34 I don't know anything of the conference splitting up on the football level, maybe basketball. But Albemarle doesn't weigh itself on conference titles. The 2001 team didn't win the conference and went on to win a state title. That's what we care most about sports wise. Championships.

Talked with an Albemarle teacher and coach Saturday and he was concerned with the BOE voting for open enrollment at their Tuesday meeting. He told me if it was approved that would possibly shut Albemarle down. This was the first I had heard about this even being a possibility but he would know more about these things than I would. We will just have to wait and see what happens tonight.

Open Enrollment!!! Where in the hell did this come from. I'm telling you folks I don't trust this school board.

This worked at North Rowan. Football players and basketball players transferred in and they won lots of games. Academics...slip, slop, drip, drop.

Last edited:
I am not a fan of open enrollment. Basketball players who live in a district get pushed away to make room for the next superstar. Football players who don't like their program can jump to the next one. It is no less of an issue than recruiting accusations. In Goldsboro, all they had to do was find a course not offered at the other high schools, and they could transfer. I loved the quote in the News Argus by my sophomore j.v. qb who was transferring because he always wanted to "learn to speak in Latin". OMG....open a can of worms...this is bad.

Don't shoot the messenger! I'm just repeating what he told me. I was going to ask him why Doug Talbert resigned but when he mentioned open enrollment I forgot to ask him. I hope it is just a rumor.

I'm not an idiot...I'll believe it when I see it.

This is so comical lmao!

Well whatever happens; let me know when its set in "Granite Stone ".

By the way, when is the next meeting?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT