ADVERTISEMENT

ACT reports new Avery coach

Phelps will do a great job. His head coaching record is from two schools that have no football tradition: Bartlett Yancey and Foard. No coach has ever had any long-term success at either place. At Avery, he's in a situation in which he is at a school with strong community support and a history of competitive teams. Plus he's thirty-something, from the area (grew up in Boone), and has family there. I'm sure this hire was made looking at the long haul, and I believe AHS got a good one.

Another note on Phelps: He was an assistant at Starmount in 1998 when the Rams won the 1A State Championship.

Phelps will do a great job. His head coaching record is from two schools that have no football tradition: Bartlett Yancey and Foard. No coach has ever had any long-term success at either place. At Avery, he's in a situation in which he is at a school with strong community support and a history of competitive teams. Plus he's thirty-something, from the area (grew up in Boone), and has family there. I'm sure this hire was made looking at the long haul, and I believe AHS got a good one.
I agree completely. Phelps may be a very good coach who has taken jobs that are terrible so he can get experience. I don't care how good a coach you are, it still takes having the Jimmy's a Joe's. You can make progress and become competitive but tough to be really good and turn the corner at schools with traditionally bad histories. Now he takes over a good program so he finally has a chance to see how his program/system will work. Definitely a long haul hire for Avery. I hope he does well. Good luck to coach Phelps.

I agree. Forget his record. He took jobs nobody else wanted. He may have not won a lot of games but the kids were well organized and respected him at Fred T Foard. Best wishes to the new coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT