ADVERTISEMENT

5 Star RB Robert Washington to transfer to East Gaston

egfan

Jul 22, 2003
Southlake Christian RB Robert Washington plans to transfer to East Gaston (his home school) for his senior season. 5'10 215 4.47 - # 4 ranked player in NC and has 40 D1 offers. We'll take him.

I also heard three more skill players from Southlake could also follow Robert to East Gaston, just rumor at this point. Can you say Merry Christmas?

Wow, have to keep an eye on East Gaston, might be an interesting year for them.

Technically, they didn't. One or both went to Mt Holly Middle, but then ended up at East Lincoln. Go figure.

Congrats Egfan. What an amazing turn of events for yall. I hope he does well. I am not familiar with SL. What is their level of comp?

Congrats Egfan. What an amazing turn of events for yall. I hope he does well. I am not familiar with SL. What is their level of comp?
Last year was all private schools they beat Providence Day, Davidson Day and Victory Christian and their only loss was to Charlotte Latin.

He rushed for 2,233 yards and 27 touchdowns as a junior, according to MaxPreps.com, and led SouthLake Christian to its second straight N.C. Independent Schools Athletic Association Division II state championship. Washington also caught 12 passes for 202 yards and three additional scores.

As a sophomore, Washington ran for 2,512 yards and 28 touchdowns as the leading second-year rusher in the nation, according to MaxPreps.com.

He is supposed to announce his college decision on Saturday and is transferring to East Gaston so he can graduate after first semester.

This kid is obviously a game changer and I would love to see him playing for the Warriors this season, but the whole recruiting thing last week and his announcement today was a bit of a circus.

This is not an officially done deal. His father is his legal guardian and he lives in the West Meck district. What are the guidelines for going to school in Gaston County? Do you have to live in the county to attend schools there?

Deana, yes, you have to live in Gaston County, with your biological parent or Legal Guardian. I'm assuming one of the parents lives in Mt Holly. It has been reported that East Gaston is his home school. Our principal, AD and HC are by the rules people. I would expect they would do their homework, before letting him enroll at East Gaston and play football.

I was at his announcement yesterday and asked his father about East Gaston. His father (guardian) currently lives in West Meck district and his mother lives in Connecticut. I don't know how the "home school" comment came about. He said he was going to talk to the admin at EG, so right now nothing is official.

I was at his announcement yesterday and asked his father about East Gaston. His father (guardian) currently lives in West Meck district and his mother lives in Connecticut. I don't know how the "home school" comment came about. He said he was going to talk to the admin at EG, so right now nothing is official.
The whole thing is kinda strange.......

I would like to see him play in the Big South. I'm skeptical about the level of play because of the big numbers. And not just him, the kid from Davidson Day put up about 8 TD passes in one half a couple of years ago. And he ended up being the highest rated QB in the nation. And very well may have been.

I'm sure he projects well as far as size, speed, etc... and has done very well at some top campus.

But, I've seen some kids who started on the varsity as a freshman at a 1A school transfer to a 3A and end up on J.V. as a sophomore.

I would like to see him play in the Big South. I'm skeptical about the level of play because of the big numbers. And not just him, the kid from Davidson Day put up about 8 TD passes in one half a couple of years ago. And he ended up being the highest rated QB in the nation. And very well may have been.

I'm sure he projects well as far as size, speed, etc... and has done very well at some top campus.

But, I've seen some kids who started on the varsity as a freshman at a 1A school transfer to a 3A and end up on J.V. as a sophomore.

Some of that depends on the player. NC State had a guy from Davidson Day step in and play snaps at DB as true freshman.

I think in Grier's case his numbers were so inflated throwing near laterals that it took more a skeptical eye to judge his talent.

I remember a guy many years ago who wasn't going to start at RB at his high school. So he transferred out to a nearby weaker program. Played RB, and got battered against the good and average and below average teams. But his new team did have one, much weaker opponent on the schedule and he ran wild for 400 yards and a bunch of TD's. Competition is everything. Can you imagine Elijah Hood playing against 1A competition?

I remember a guy many years ago who wasn't going to start at RB at his high school. So he transferred out to a nearby weaker program. Played RB, and got battered against the good and average and below average teams. But his new team did have one, much weaker opponent on the schedule and he ran wild for 400 yards and a bunch of TD's. Competition is everything. Can you imagine Elijah Hood playing against 1A competition?

He'd rack up yards anywhere as long as the team ran the dive.

Scrubs don't get 43 D1 offers.... he can play, question is where?

Last edited:
Washington and several other highly recruited players have left SLC and will be attending Mountain Island Charter this fall (a school playing its first year of varsity football). They are not eligible to play at East Gaston. Oh well!

I'm assuming he's transferring to Mtn. Island Charter so that he can finish in the fall and enroll early at Syracuse for Spring football??? Why are the others transferring?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT