ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Realignment

All-out_34

Feb 5, 2012
Salisbury, NC
With the new 20-30-30-20 model coming in after next football season, I sat down and tried my best to figure it out. This is my best guess on the new 4A line and what schools will be leaving for 3A.... The new 4A line will be about 1,575 students, with North Davidson being the lowest 4A school.
Schools leaving 4A for 3A
Mooresville
JH Rose
New Hanover
EE Smith
SW Guilford
Dudley
North Durham
TC Roberson
Ben L Smith
Hillside
Phillip Berry
East Wake
Southern Alamance
Conley
SE Guilford
Harnett Central
Person
Ragsdale
Watauga
Parkland
Porter Ridge
Charlotte Catholic
JM Robinson
AL Brown
Douglas Byrd

I thought Douglas Byrd was already 3A

I don't see how New Hanover would fall to 3A .... They had 1665 students last year
Basing it on your line of 1575 .... New Hanover has only been below that number once in the past 10 years. They average around 1600 or so.

Good work and interesting

Last edited:
They are, they moved down 2 years ago I think. They were originally going to be a 4A school, I didn't even realize that till it was posted

I also went off the ADM numbers the NCHSAA had during the last realignment. Most of the schools haven't changed enough so it's as accurate as I can get without spending all day on this

The football 4A and 4AA playoff brackets will be full of one and two win teams if 20-30-30-20 kicks in ... Only about a dozen teams will NOT make the playoffs ...

Somewhat like 1A has been and most likely will continue to be.

Do not think 1A and 4A should subdivide but we know they will be split.

NCHSAA went to the 1A schools and requested they go four round playoff with subdividing. That did not get a green light so they requested the top eight seeds in each region get a first round bye. Turned down again. I personally thought the four round plan was great for 1A football but did not like the bye round option. By going to four rounds 1A had the Saturday before the other three classes all to themselves for their title games and it weeded out a lot of teams that should not be in the playoffs which also saved on travel for a lot of meaningless games.

What about High Point Central ? They have 1400 students , I heard that High Point Andrews were going up to 3A .

Subdivided playoffs would be dropped if the format was voted against? Just making sure I understand that right

The schools voted it in. 1A schools/coaches voted it in for the 2001 playoffs. Started with a group of smaller 1A school head coaches from eastern NC. At the state title games in Chapel Hill a coach told me that it woukd be for all four classes in 2002, all the coaches were talking about it. He was right.

Reactions: MooresvilleDevil06
of what I have seen. THE BEARS WOULD BE GROUPED WITH HAVELOCK AND THE 4 PIT COUNTY SCHOOLS. I WOULD PREFER NEW BERN WITH THE WILMINGTON SCHOOLS. THE NEW MIDEAST IS A FARCE . SAME FOR OUR CONFERENCE SOMEWHAT BETTER THAN YOURS

of what I have seen. THE BEARS WOULD BE GROUPED WITH HAVELOCK AND THE 4 PIT COUNTY SCHOOLS. I WOULD PREFER NEW BERN WITH THE WILMINGTON SCHOOLS. THE NEW MIDEAST IS A FARCE . SAME FOR OUR CONFERENCE SOMEWHAT BETTER THAN YOURS

Your right about your conf being better than ours. However, its like saying Tenn is better than Tampa Bay.

HOW THINGS YOUR WAY STILL COLD 45. THE WAYNES EAST AND WEST CAN NOT COMPETE WITH US. SAME THE 3A SCHOOLS IN YOUR CONF ,ASHLEY LANEY IT WILL COME DOWN TO YOU AND NH EVERY YEAR

HOW THINGS YOUR WAY STILL COLD 45. THE WAYNES EAST AND WEST CAN NOT COMPETE WITH US. SAME THE 3A SCHOOLS IN YOUR CONF ,ASHLEY LANEY IT WILL COME DOWN TO YOU AND NH EVERY YEAR

The MEC will not be strong this coming year. Hoggard will be favored to win the conf and will have a strong defense but they have a lot of question marks. Offensive line, new def corn and new head coach to list a few. NH will return a lot of talent as usual but I just dont see them better than they were last year. They also have a new HC and a new system. Laney lost their best player and I dont feel they will be as good as they were last season. Ashley has a new HC and I think they will be better but the gap is huge and there isnt much talent there. SB will be better and WB always seems to reload but they never have enough to top the better teams in the conf. Topsail will have a long season.

Hoggard
NH
WB
Laney
SB
Ashley
Topsail

WE WILL DO WHAT WE DO BEST RELOAD. WE SHOULD BE ALRIGHT . I DO NOT SEE US NOT WINNING THE CONFERENCEI THINK ROSE AND DH CONLEY WILL BATTLE FOR SECOND IN THE CONF. 1 HAVELOCK 2 HILLSIDE ARE OUR FIRST TWO GAMES. WOULD LOVE TO BE 2-0 . I DOUBT THAT WE WILL BE 0-2.WE LOST OUR LEADER NOT MIKE BUT DOUBLE NICKEL LOVETHEMBEARS SON . HE WAS THE GLUE THAT KEPT EVERYTHING TOGETHER. HE WAS A ONCE IN A LIFETIME PLAYER. I COULD NOT HAVE BEEN PROUDER IF HE WAS MY OWN SON. LTB ALLOWED ME TO BE PART OF THE JOURNEY WHICH I AM VERY THANKFUL FOR. PHOTOS, GEAR CONVERSATION AND FRIENDSHIP

WE WILL DO WHAT WE DO BEST RELOAD. WE SHOULD BE ALRIGHT . I DO NOT SEE US NOT WINNING THE CONFERENCEI THINK ROSE AND DH CONLEY WILL BATTLE FOR SECOND IN THE CONF. 1 HAVELOCK 2 HILLSIDE ARE OUR FIRST TWO GAMES. WOULD LOVE TO BE 2-0 . I DOUBT THAT WE WILL BE 0-2.WE LOST OUR LEADER NOT MIKE BUT DOUBLE NICKEL LOVETHEMBEARS SON . HE WAS THE GLUE THAT KEPT EVERYTHING TOGETHER. HE WAS A ONCE IN A LIFETIME PLAYER. I COULD NOT HAVE BEEN PROUDER IF HE WAS MY OWN SON. LTB ALLOWED ME TO BE PART OF THE JOURNEY WHICH I AM VERY THANKFUL FOR. PHOTOS, GEAR CONVERSATION AND FRIENDSHIP

NB deserved their champioship last season. They loose alot and I would be surprised if they dont drop off a bit. Maybe like 2013.

we will be contenders for the eastern championship .THE BRAINTRUST OF THE BEARS ARE PLANNING AND PLOTTING AS WE SPEAK. WE WILL FIND A WAY.

The MEC will not be strong this coming year. Hoggard will be favored to win the conf and will have a strong defense but they have a lot of question marks. Offensive line, new def corn and new head coach to list a few. NH will return a lot of talent as usual but I just dont see them better than they were last year. They also have a new HC and a new system. Laney lost their best player and I dont feel they will be as good as they were last season. Ashley has a new HC and I think they will be better but the gap is huge and there isnt much talent there. SB will be better and WB always seems to reload but they never have enough to top the better teams in the conf. Topsail will have a long season.

Hoggard
NH
WB
Laney
SB
Ashley
Topsail

I saw the film of the Hoggard-Swett, Hoggard-Scotland, and Hoggard-West or South Brunswick. On tape I thought Hoggard had one of the best D's in the state. Those guys were gritty. I thought Hoggard would have something for New Bern, but I was wrong. #36 for Hoggard was a guy that I'll never forget: the young man had the ability to lift up the play of everyone around him. If the kid was a senior, and I'm about 99% sure he was, he'll be a hard guy to replace.

I might have to make a weekend trip down to the coast and see New Hanover and Hoggard play this year. I don't have a pony in this race but I have a feeling it will be a barn burner.

I saw the film of the Hoggard-Swett, Hoggard-Scotland, and Hoggard-West or South Brunswick. On tape I thought Hoggard had one of the best D's in the state. Those guys were gritty. I thought Hoggard would have something for New Bern, but I was wrong. #36 for Hoggard was a guy that I'll never forget: the young man had the ability to lift up the play of everyone around him. If the kid was a senior, and I'm about 99% sure he was, he'll be a hard guy to replace.

I might have to make a weekend trip down to the coast and see New Hanover and Hoggard play this year. I don't have a pony in this race but I have a feeling it will be a barn burner.

The Hoggard Def was impressive last season. We were sooo disappointed in our showing at NB. After watching NB play CC I think those close to the program felt we could contain NB about like CC did. We knew we wouldn't shut them down completely. We were not is position all night and Hughes was in open space with one guy and he had a career night. We return most of that defense. Hoggard also had a lot of injuries on the def side last season which gave a lot of guys playing time. The def will carry this team as season starts and hope the offensive can be productive.
Thompson was a special RB. Had he not been injured his soph season he would have broken every school record at the RB poss. He was born to run, he has great balance and vision. He will be hard to replace. His numbers last season are inpressive and he only played about 60% of offensive plays due to large leads. Hoggard will replace him with 2 smaller backs. Both have speed but not the size or the strength that Thompson had.

The Hoggard Def was impressive last season. We were sooo disappointed in our showing at NB. After watching NB play CC I think those close to the program felt we could contain NB about like CC did. We knew we wouldn't shut them down completely. We were not is position all night and Hughes was in open space with one guy and he had a career night. We return most of that defense. Hoggard also had a lot of injuries on the def side last season which gave a lot of guys playing time. The def will carry this team as season starts and hope the offensive can be productive.
Thompson was a special RB. Had he not been injured his soph season he would have broken every school record at the RB poss. He was born to run, he has great balance and vision. He will be hard to replace. His numbers last season are inpressive and he only played about 60% of offensive plays due to large leads. Hoggard will replace him with 2 smaller backs. Both have speed but not the size or the strength that Thompson had.

From what I've been told is that he was just as good of a leader as he was a running back, and that's saying a lot. The kid had the heart of a lion. That combination of ability, guts, and leadership will be a hard thing to replace. It will take several people to replace what Mr. Thompson brought to your field.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT