ADVERTISEMENT

2015 Derrick Law Carolina Kickoff Classic

T Roy C

Aug 18, 2003
The SC guys replaced Richmond and Hoggard with N Brunswick and S Brunswick this year. Now they also did replace W Brunswick w/ Charlotte Christian so that's an upgrade, but seems like overall the teams get worse and worse. Two years ago this was a nice event with very solid teams from both states.

This years matchups

S Brunswick vs Conway
New Hanover vs Socastee
N Brunswick vs Marlboro Co
SE Raleigh vs S Florence
Char Christian vs Myrtle Beach

Maybe Hoggard wanted an easier schedule. Could they be scared of a potential loss? Maybe needed a sure win!!!!

It will interesting to see how South Brunswick will do this year .... Finn seemed to have those kids playing with some confidence at the end of the season last year.

Is Gary Bishop still at North Brunswick? Somebody told me that he was going to retire
This post was edited on 3/16 7:01 PM by Screamin' Monk

Yeah, it honestly felt like it lost a little of it's luster last year. Now, it's not even worth the cost of admission. I know they want to include a lot of the local teams, but the only local team that needs to be involved is the Seahawks. They need to reach out and pull some other teams to the coast in both states.

Originally posted by Screamin' Monk:

It will interesting to see how South Brunswick will do this year .... Finn seemed to have those kids playing with some confidence at the end of the season last year.

Is Gary Bishop still at North Brunswick? Somebody told me that he was going to retire
This post was edited on 3/16 7:01 PM by Screamin' Monk
I have heard Gary will be retiring at the end of the school year. Hope he enjoys his retirement.

They tried to move this to North Carolina also and have the 4 New Hanover County schools playing other teams at Legion Stadium. They thought it was all worked out last year to start this year and then one of the county schools decided it wasn't fair to play at Legion Stadium so the whole thing got canned.

Originally posted by wildcatfan78:

What's the word on Socastee?

I think they went 7-5 last year losing in the first round of the playoffs. They played Conway (who played Hoggard) twice last year and split.

They tried to move this to North Carolina also and have the 4 New Hanover County schools playing other teams at Legion Stadium. They thought it was all worked out last year to start this year and then one of the county schools decided it wasn't fair to play at Legion Stadium so the whole thing got canned.
I'm guessing how you like to bash Hoggard it wasn't them or you would say it LOL. Whatever school it was that is just silly for them. Legion is best venue in Wilm. Nice turf and about 7,000 seats. Heck, the Jamboree is held there annuallly. I played my ball there back in the 80s when Hoggard had no stadium so lots of fond memories of Legion even though was kinda a dump back then.

T Roy
One Guess who would have issues playing at Legion? Who is powerful enough in this county to nix it?

Originally posted by T Roy C:

I'm guessing how you like to bash Hoggard it wasn't them or you would say it LOL. Whatever school it was that is just silly for them. Legion is best venue in Wilm. Nice turf and about 7,000 seats. Heck, the Jamboree is held there annuallly. I played my ball there back in the 80s when Hoggard had no stadium so lots of fond memories of Legion even though was kinda a dump back then.
hell I played in the old legion stadium .1971 when it was not but nh and haggard. yes t roy u were about 45 minutes from me. it so cold up here they call 40degrees a heat wave with shorts on

It was not the stadium itself that the person perceives as the issue. Also, some schools think they would make more playing a home game or a home and away two year deal with an opponent.

Could you make more off the gate playing a top notch opponent that will bring a lot of fans or play Q School or equivalent?

Maybe, T. Roy C, maybe the Palmetto Board of Rules Makers, Currency Counters and Ramification Committee got sick and tared of the North Carolina squads beatin' the sea gull shyt out of 'em. Maybe if North Brunswick, South Brunswick, and Charlotte Christian cleans their tubes, they'll vote to invite Mary and Molly's School For The Blind and Deaf, a downtrodden 1-A mountain school from Georgia, and two JV teams from Tennessee , the Board of Regal Regents sufferin' from symptoms of The High Cost Of Low Livin' Syndrome.

Link.

Could you make more off the gate playing a top notch opponent that will bring a lot of fans or play Q School or equivalent?
Depends on the contract and the funds that come in for the game whether it be a guarantee, a cut of the gate, or a cut of the overall gross or net income. I have seen it done various ways.

If you get a decent game inside your stadium you will have the ticket sales and the concessions. Take out what it costs to put a game on including the payout to the other team or playing on the road the next season. Big time programs will do home and home with teams that do not draw as well and give them a set payout.

The way the Myrtle Beach tournament is structured is the teams get 1/2 the money of all the tickets the school sells. No payouts, no guarantees. If the ticket gets purchased at the gate, the teams don't get any of the money.

I thought this would blossom into a great venue considering it's a great stadium, great field, and to top it all off, it's at the beach. I was hoping for some powerhouse teams from each state matching up. This is now turning into a localized event, but I was expecting it would hopefully take off and draw from all over each state for some top tier program match-ups. It's starting to look like the Beach Ball Classic minus the powerhouse teams that come in. I guess I can mark this event off for this year.

I think it could have become that if not for NC's antiquated thoughts on televising the games. With the ability to televise the games there would have been some money to draw these teams in.

You could have seen a Byrnes/Richmond matchup or a Dutch fork/Butler matchup with espn backing the games and offering more money.

NC needs to let the kids play on TV. It has only made the game more popular on every level but for some reason it would make High school ball in NC bad.

I don't get the logic. You have to think that NC operates in a vacuum that is different than the rest of the Football playing world.

T Roy
Let's just say that hopefully having it at Legion Stadium will get revisited now that there is a new coach over on Shipyard. Nuff Said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT