ADVERTISEMENT

1-A girls Poll

Girls -BBall Fan

Feb 7, 2003
it is very sad to see how this turn out. The west should have had 8 out of 10 of the top spots. WS Prep was clearly better than the Riverside- Martin and the rest of the west was better than than the east IMO. Prep will be tough for anybody to beat in the play-offs

I agree that the west was best. The computer generated poll om another site seems to be more accurate.

We hear this crap every year. The West is on a run with non-boundary schools congrats. WSP was clearly better than Riverside on Saturday march 14th. There style of play was a matchup problem for the Lady Knights. How many other Riverside games did you see? How many Rosewood games did you guys see? How many Pamlico games? High School Polls are stupid!!! To say the things people say about these polls every year is crazy. The people voting have not seen half the teams 90% of the time. Congrats to the West again. The small towns in eastern nc will continue to build there programs and try again.

Comparing the east to the west is like comparing single A ball to the major leagues. A good number of the teams that Bishop played for the state championship during their run would not have finished in the top half of the SMC or the NW.

Originally posted by CP16:
We hear this crap every year. The West is on a run with non-boundary schools congrats.
Maybe if the west hadn't won 18 of the last 20 before Bishop's first title you would have a better argument...

laugh.r191677.gif

There is no doubt that the 1a west has 5 or 6 teams better than what the east sent to the state game. Year after year the west champion plays a lot closer games in the first few rounds then they play inthe state game .. Facts

Also, other than Plymouth in football no one else is close in small A ball. Unless a much larger school drops down.

Why is it that the east is so far behind the west (1a) in sports. A lot of people act like the East has smaller schools so I looked up the Average school size in the first 2 Con. that I thought of. The SMC average school size is 385 while Plymouths Con. average size is 367. These are the only 2 I looked up but I don't think the West is much bigger. I know the Far West isn't bigger.

Bishop and Prep have had a HUGE impact on the rest of the state.

Regardless of your thoughts on them playing in the 1A, there's no debate that their presence has pushed the rest of the West to put more resources into developing their hoops programs in order to compete. On the other hand, the East doesn't have to deal with schools like those two on a regular basis, so there isn't the same urgency to upgrade their programs.

The best example is just to take a look at the balance in stats for the top teams in the East & West. In the West, the best teams always have 3-4 players averaging at least 7-8 points per game and can get strong contributions from up to 8 or 9 players every game. The East is almost always really unbalanced, relying on one player to average 20-25 ppg with maybe one more in double figures and little depth.

Until that changes, the East will continue to lag behind.

Prob just take a look at the conf that put girls basketball first. The nwc and Smc are head and shoulder above. Just look at the west vs Midwest all star game . The smc didn't have 4 of there best players who played in blue white and still beat the spc and whc best by 40. The nwc has caught up to bishop because they had to. Just the diff in the state. The east is whoever has the best player.

Originally posted by Dave2kMA:
Bishop and Prep have had a HUGE impact on the rest of the state.

Regardless of your thoughts on them playing in the 1A, there's no debate that their presence has pushed the rest of the West to put more resources into developing their hoops programs in order to compete. On the other hand, the East doesn't have to deal with schools like those two on a regular basis, so there isn't the same urgency to upgrade their programs.

The best example is just to take a look at the balance in stats for the top teams in the East & West. In the West, the best teams always have 3-4 players averaging at least 7-8 points per game and can get strong contributions from up to 8 or 9 players every game. The East is almost always really unbalanced, relying on one player to average 20-25 ppg with maybe one more in double figures and little depth.

Until that changes, the East will continue to lag behind.
There's probably some truth to this, but the west was dominant long before Prep and Bishop came onto the scene.

It's fairly simple, "SUPPORT"! The west has much more community support financially as well as attendance. In Plymouth, we are lucky to have 150 people pay at the gate for a football game until the 3rd round of playoffs. Until this year, we were playing football with donated jerseys. Our communities are BROKE!! Have you seen the Plymouth football field? or the Basketball gym? It's Embarrassing! The quality teams we put out, and can't get any better facilities then what we have? It's sad...I'm a graduate of Plymouth high school. I love my hometown, lots of good people there. If we could keep the local kids from going to the private schools in the area we would field even better teams. Unfortunately lots of good local athletes chose to go to private schools in the area because they don't wanna send their kids to Plymouth or other schools in our area. Now I can only speak for Plymouth, not sure what happens in other communities. I can only tell ya, if we could get the white kids to go to Plymouth instead of Lawrence Academy or Terra Ceia we would be unstoppable! Just so yall know, I'm White, and I'm just being honest. parents don't wanna send there kids to Plymouth...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT